IGNORED

Just came back from Myrtle and the Barefoot Courses...reviews

Note: This thread is 5533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys,

We just came back from our annual Myrtle Trip and the weather couldnt have been any better, but some of the courses were in terrible shape.

Here is the list:

1) Barefoot -Fazio ( Nice layout, horrible conditions)

2) Barefoot -Love (Another great layout, but did not like the conditions)

3) Barefoot -Norman ( Greg Norman should stick to wine making...boring layout)

4) Tidewater (Great track with a lot of character and the best par 3, the 12th hole was awesome!)

5) Pearl West ( Not a bad track in pretty good condition )

6) Glen Dornoch ( THE BEST COURSE we played, what a GREAT Track, with great conditions and the best greens!)

7) Heather Glen ( Another great track with a great finishing hole, the greens were great!)

8) River Hills ( Good track, with some tough holes. Green were not great, but good character)

The bottom line is that the courses are hurting down there and the Barefoot courses are WAY, WAY Overpriced! Heather Glen and Glen Dornoch are the best two courses we played...

It is early season for them also.It has been a rough winter down there they had snow twice and many mornings of 20 something degrees.Go back first week of April and the Fazio is a great course usually in great condition.I do think they sre over priced also.The Glenns are nice and Tidewater is a great course but can be spotty as far as condition due to all the play it gets.Next time hit The Dunes you will love it.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Guys,

I was down there last week as well. That weather was unreal! It was crappy there the week before, and got crappy the day after we left, but in between it was fantastic!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
What were the problems you found with the conditions at Barefoot Fazio? We played it March 10 and had no problems at all. Greens rolled true, fairways were fine, bunkers were well groomed, normal dormant bermuda rough for March in SC. Here are some pix of Fazio from that day. The guys from my group rated that round a ten out of ten and worth the green fee.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/235...00544033nNHpAn

sabram glad to hear all went well.So you liked Founders?Would you have liked to have to walk it?Just kidding.The mrs and I love the Fazio and Love courses the other 2 are OK but Norman is bland and Dye is way over rated.The Heath and Morelands are both strong Myrtle courses that can and will kick your ass.You should go in May when everything is blooming real nice it is quite nice.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

The dunes is the best course hands down.

A little tough for the average joe to get on! UBER Private

The legends resort has 54 great holes and the money for upkeep. Used to work there.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

The mrs and I love the Fazio and Love courses the other 2 are OK but Norman is bland and Dye is way over rated.The Heath and Morelands are both strong Myrtle courses that can and will kick your ass.

Hi Flap - I agree 100% re: Barefoot. Having played Fazio on this last trip, I've now played all four. Love had been my favorite, but I think I now prefer Fazio by a hair although I would be happy to play either one over and over. Re: Legends, I thought Moorland was a lot stronger than Heathland. There was not a bad or forgettable hole on Moorland. Heathland had soem good holes, but not 18 of them. Moorland was the more difficult of the two, but I was lucky enough to have a good ball striking day and did not let "the rub of the green" bother me. Moorland gets a A from me. Heathland a B. Parkland, somewhere between those two.

Barefoot's rates are $185 per their website; way overpriced for Myrtle Beach. The courses here are overseeded with rye and some years it doesn't take so well and the fairways can be thin, muddy and soft. I am glad you found some courses in great shape. All the greens should be in top shape this time of the year in Myrtle. They will start punching in May as the spring season winds down. Then they kill the rye and its 4 to 6 weeks of some pretty bad conditions until the Burmuda, shaded by the rye grass can grew in. If they did not overseed, the Burmuda would take off in April and the summer would be the best course conditions here.

Wachesaw-I agree with you but not all the myrtle courses are bermuda any more and the new strains like Tif eagle they try to stay away from overseeding all together.I cant wait to go to the granddaddy to play on that paspaslum grass they say it is the best they have come up with yet.The Mrs and I allways {the last 15 years anyway}come down the 2nd week of may and all the courses are in great shape.We are relocating to Loris this year and can't wait for year round golf.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4

Wachesaw-I agree with you but not all the myrtle courses are bermuda any more and the new strains like Tif eagle they try to stay away from overseeding all together.I cant wait to go to the granddaddy to play on that paspaslum grass they say it is the best they have come up with yet.The Mrs and I allways {the last 15 years anyway}come down the 2nd week of may and all the courses are in great shape.We are relocating to Loris this year and can't wait for year round golf.

I used to live on Pine Lakes golf course. I still work a few miles away and hope to play it this or next week. I hear it is really nice and the changes were for the better. Where I regularly play we do not overseed and the dormant Bermuda makes a great winter turf and the grass is already green. Once the lows overnight stay above 60, the grass will take off.

Note: This thread is 5533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!