IGNORED

What do you think of the "No women members allowed" at Augusta

Golfgal
Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In theory, yes. But the "private shield" isn't as automatic as you might think.

Hmmm...okay you bring an interesting point about companies. It would seem that most people believe private golf clubs should have the right to "choose" their members any way they like. But what about privately held companies? They cannot choose/exclude employees based on race or gender. Just to open up discussion again...what makes a private club different than a privately owned company when it comes to this issue? Is there a parallel to draw?

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Excellent points. Forgive my ignorance, but are private clubs allowed to exclude people because of race in the US, just because they are "private"?

So far as I know, yep. That policy might exclude them from consideration for hosting a PGA Tour event or state amateur events or things like that, but I think they can make the rules they want. NAACP isn't likely to have a Caucasian president any time soon, and the Red Hat society probably won't be admitting many 25-year-old men any time soon either.

But what about privately held companies? They cannot choose/exclude employees based on race or gender.

Employment and recreation are different things altogether. Different laws, different mentality, different moral base.

Just to open up discussion again...what makes a private club different than a privately owned company when it comes to this issue? Is there a parallel to draw?

I don't see a parallel. I can't nail down the wording I'd like, but part of what makes them non-parallel to me is that the issues of employment and recreation aren't terribly comparable, nor is the money flowing in the same direction in both cases. Employment affects your livelihood, and is covered under a whole different set of laws than what you're "allowed" to do recreationally. The law guarantees certain rights to employment - it doesn't grant the same rights to how you'll spend your free time, money, etc.

And no, don't quote me on any of that. IANAL and all that jazz.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm...okay you bring an interesting point about companies.

I really don't know this particular area well. However, I do feel pretty sure that ANGC would not be able to discriminate in their employment practices.

I'm not sure what the analog to 'member' is for a privately held company. I suppose it would be 'owners' and I would guess that they could limit themselves by any rules that they would chose. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

As you have discovered, there is no such policy. So, it would seem this angle for part of an article would pretty much be a rehash of old news, and not particularly newsworthy.

What makes Augusta National different from private employers in terms of membership policies is that we are tallking about membership policies not employees of a business. Antidiscrimination laws apply to employment not to membership issues, generally speaking. Nothing really there to discuss. Pretty well settled law at this point.

At the same time, if reminding people that Augusta National doesn't have women members is the point of view you are intentionally going for, by all means have at it.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Personally, I think "the Club" is disgusting based on its attitude toward race and gender. Nice golf course they have there, but I am appalled by almost everything I know about the group who runs it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

It is their club, they can do what they want. Hence the term private. I am sure their are plenty of private female organizations that don't allow men. Men don't go around and protest them.

If it was a private club in Fargo or Boise and didn't hold one of the biggest golf events in the world, no one would care. If there are other men-only clubs they should receive the same protest and criticism. Don't just single out Augusta because it is famous. Oh, that's right, a small club in Boise won't get your protest on TV or in the news, because no one will care.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think my opinion on this pretty much agrees with the consensus. It's a private club, and as such, has the right to invite whomever they choose.

Just as an aside, I seem to recall a country club being in the news some years back who lost a discrimination suit. A judge ruled that since their dining facilities and banquet hall were open to the public, that they could not discriminate in terms of golf membership. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I could swear I remember this happening.

In my bag:

Cleveland Hi Bore XLS 8.5* X Stiff
Mizuno MP 650 13*
Halo 22 Deg Apex Plus 4-E Apex Plus Gap Wedge CG15 54 Deg CG10 58 Deg Anser 4 ProV1x

I think we all have women only fitness clubs in most cities, so I don't see the problem with a male or female only golf course either. People pay dues and know what they are joining going in.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I have read all the posts, many, particulary the most recent cite legal issues. For me it is morally wrong what Augusta National is doing. They have profitted handsomely from golf, their obligation now is to help promote it. If they were really forward-thinking, they would host a Women's Master's tournament; I guarantee it would be an instant ladies major. Lawyers are already taking over common sense in this country. It is not about your club Augusta National, it's about our sport. Take the high road and get off your high horse.

Ping G10 10.5 degrees
Nike T60 15 Degree Fairway
Launcher 19 Degree Fairway
Launcher 22 Degree Fairway
Callaway X12 Irons, 6-AWCleveland Zip Wedge; 54Tour Edge W.Chicago 25th Anniversary PutterPrecept Laddie X Ball

When I was much younger they would not allow me to join the Girl Scouts, now that I am older I cannot joint the DAR. By that reasoning why should a private club not be allowed to be all male? Lawyers are going to bring down our country and way of life. By the same reasoning, I still beleive in God and if a kids did not then he should be excluded from anything that smells of religion in school.

I have read all the posts, many, particulary the most recent cite legal issues. For me it is morally wrong what Augusta National is doing. They have profitted handsomely from golf, their obligation now is to help promote it.

ANGC does help to promote golf. Have you seen, for example, what they are doing in Asia lately?

If they were really forward-thinking, they would host a Women's Master's tournament; I guarantee it would be an instant ladies major.

Which would it replace? The ladies already have four majors, and one already jumped in to replace another one a few years back.

Lawyers are already taking over common sense in this country. It is not about your club Augusta National, it's about our sport. Take the high road and get off your high horse.

Do you think the lawyers are going to take over Augusta National? Regardless of your answer to this, do you think that what Augusta National does is going to affect the case of

Lawyers v. Common Sense ? For the record, I think they are taking the high road. Women are able to join ANGC, but they are subject to the same requirements that men are subject to.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have read all the posts, many, particulary the most recent cite legal issues. For me it is morally wrong what Augusta National is doing. They have profitted handsomely from golf, their obligation now is to help promote it. If they were really forward-thinking, they would host a Women's Master's tournament; I guarantee it would be an instant ladies major. Lawyers are already taking over common sense in this country. It is not about your club Augusta National, it's about our sport. Take the high road and get off your high horse.

For heaven's sake, this isn't about lawyers, nice knee jerk nothing of a comment that has nothing to do with this subject.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

When I was much younger they would not allow me to join the Girl Scouts, now that I am older I cannot joint the DAR. By that reasoning why should a private club not be allowed to be all male? Lawyers are going to bring down our country and way of life. By the same reasoning, I still beleive in God and if a kids did not then he should be excluded from anything that smells of religion in school.

This has nothing to do with lawyers, but you should know it is in part because of laws, not lawyers, that the same reasoning does apply to the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts exemptions from anti-discrimination laws in regard to gender and the rights of private association. Of course, you wouldn't recognize that. The last part I haven't figured out.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Well, a few others took a more studied approach to my response and I respect their perspectives vice your knee jerk reaction.

Ping G10 10.5 degrees
Callaway X12 Irons, 6-AWCleveland Zip Wedge; 54Tour Edge W.Chicago 25th Anniversary PutterPrecept Laddie X Ball

my 2 cents

Women and men should be treated equally.
All races should be treated equally.

For ANY PUBLIC place to exclude admitance due to gender or race, is unacceptable.
For ANY private club to exclude a member based on race, is unacceptable.

For ANY PRIVATE club to refuse membership based on gender, when an alternative public or private club is unavailable, is unacceptable.

Otherwise, to create a club and limit its membership is acceptable. This is no different than only inviting your friends over to your house or "girls night out."
To make a big deal about membership to such clubs; is similiar to complaining about not getting invited to a party.

Augusta National limits membership, and when it is the last golf course in Georgia, then I will scorn its "exclusion based on gender" membership policy.

OVERHEARD ON THE GOLF COURSE - "Go in the hole!.........................................FORE!!!"

Datrek Zone Bag
DRIVER: G2, Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue 65S
5 WOOD: SasQuatch Sumo 5900 IRONS: I5 3-PW52/56/60: 588 DSG GunmetalPUTTER: White-Hot 2-BallBALL: Pro V1xRANGEFINDER: SG4

Shindig: I appreciate your studied approach to my comments, but in the end we will have to agree to disagree on them taking the high road. Notice in the flap with the activist, the law was cited, nothing about morality. As an avid fan of golf I am aware of the Augusta Chairman traveling to Asia to personally offer their support for the growth of the sport in Asia (which it frankly does not need in Asia; I lived in Asia for a year, they are beyond passionate about the sport).

1Greatgolfguy: Well done.

Flanagan: I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are really passionate about this topic; otherwise I believe your remarks border on insulting. But I will let the moderators decide on that.

Ping G10 10.5 degrees

I'm actually not passionate about the subject at all. The whole Augusta membership thing has been done to death over the years and is really a nonstory. I was a little surprised someone was proposing to toss a little of this into some article without even understanding the true nature of the situation, i.e. the fallacy contained in the title to the thread. Again, if the point of view of the article is to "re-raise" awareness of a private club having no women, so be it. If it is not the point of view of the article, it's not newsworthy and the treatment is likely to be nonrepresentative and not thorough.

My reaction was to the old standby "blame lawyers" remarks, which have nothing to do with the situation, begs the question and advances no discussion.

If you have a moral problem with Augusta National, great. You are entitled to believe that private clubs should be held to a different standard, but I think you will be eternally frustrated, because they probably always will be. Rights of association are just as important as other freedoms we enjoy.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I dont like it at all, but its a private club and they technically can do what they want. I just dont see why golf clubs arent allowed to discriminate based on race or creed but they can based on gender. Its archaic.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!