IGNORED

Going off as a single

Carolinahooker
Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get off as a single all the time. Wait..... are we talking about golf?

Boo-yeah!

Well played.
Awsome. That deserves some rep. points.

Agreed.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Update:

So I called the course this AM and asked about getting off as a single (I think he giggled a bit). They told me all the tee times that had an opening and I picked one. Went out there at 11:40 and met my partners...not so money.

It was three co-workers, two males and a female. From the start they had their own idea of the rules of golf. That is fine by me, I don't police the people I play with. Everyone can play by their own rules, it has no effect on my game...until later. These guys walked all over your line, put the flag stick right behind the hole for a backstop. Talking in your back swing was a very common occurrence.

I played a very poor round. I won't blame it on my playing partners, you should fight through any conditions. The biggest issue was towards the end the two guys started getting more and more pissed. Slinging clubs, throwing golf balls. It did take the fun out of the game a bit.

At the end of the day, I will do it again. I think I just got unlucky and besides, I don't really have another option unless I stop playing.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

It really depends on whose working the shop. For me, it goes like this:

Weektime, one person will put me with another group and another will not, unless it;s crowded.
Weekends, I usually get put with another group, though they try to put me with fellow juniors. :)

Hope this helps.

Driver: Big Bertha 460 11* w/ Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 65R
Woods: Big Bertha 3 and 5 wood stock shaft, Light flex
Hybrids: None
Irons: Viper Tour 4-PW -1", 4* flat
Wedges: X-Tour 52.11*, 58.9*Putter: Classic 3 33"The Thing That Goes In The Hole (hopefully): NXT Tour"30 minutes a day keeps...

I have to do the single thing of number of times. It's actually pretty cool because you tend to meet some interesting people. I've got the opportunity to golf with doctors, lawyers and even astro physicist while playing almost every day at a collegiate course.

Hell I played with some regular guys today completing a foursome and it was a great time. I think I actually played better because the guys I played with were pretty damn good. I was at even par through five and they started joking that I was sandbagging but I assured them my handicap almost gauranteed some blowups and as predicted I hit a drive that bounced off a tree and went behind the tee box, ended with a quad bogey.

Golf is a great way to meet people. If nothing else you can just talk about golf the whole time.

Here on long island I work nights and play as a single twice a week.I just show up when the course opens and most times play by myself as a single.It is awesome to "Rent the course for a day".If I play Bethpage I am allways hooked up in a foursome and play with good and not so good players just the luck of the draw.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Update:

Don't let this one experience make you fear being paired up... 95% of the time, it is with good people, the other 5% you just have to bear with it, or leave the group while on the course.

Personally... I would say something to people talking in my swing and walking in my line, but that's just me. Chances are I'm never going to play with the idiots again, so I might as well let them know I have limits on my patience, and they are walking a thin line. I play as a single for over half my rounds lately with my wife taking some time off (pregnant), so 30+ rounds a year as a single... and MOST of the time the people I play with are respectful and enjoyable. As others have said, I have even had a few friendly wagers and such.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I once signed on as a single at Ocean Trails (now called Trump) in Palos Verdes. The cast of the movie "Friday" was playing and they let me into one of their groups. It was the most fun I have ever had playing golf. These guys sucked at golf, knew nothing about the rules, but I spent the better part of 5 hours laughing my ass off.

Glock 17

It really depends on the course and how busy they are. Some of the courses I play on are pretty laid-back, dont require a tee time and dont pair you with other people and others require a tee time and always try to group people into foursomes.
One thing you could do is to call ahead, book a tee time for a foursome and then when you get there, just tell them the other people in your group couldnt make it. Granted, thats kind of a shady way to go about it and its not something youd want to do at a course that you go to frequently, but it does work.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Some of your best shots will most likely happen when no ones there to see! -but seriously...

In my Tour Bag:

Taylormade RBZ Driver, 3w, 3h
Cobra Amp Cell Irons 4i-pw
Vokey Wedges, 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Putter

"I'd shoot an eagle anyday over a regular ol' birdie"

I have never had a problem getting on the course as a single except on Saturday/Sunday mornings. Then, call ahead, be polite, beg and plead and you will usually get paired. It might not be when you want to play, but you will get on. BTW - some of the most memorable times I have had on the golf course have been late in the evening when I "own" the course. I play with whatever intensity I want to play - playing it seriously or hitting 2 or three balls, trying new things, and just enjoying the solitude.

I guess you know that late in the evening are when the ghosts of long deceased golfers come out to finish their rounds. If you listen closely, you'll here them. Give it a try.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

Many courses will tell you to show up and they'll get you out. Usually works out to more time on the range and time to work on the short game - neither of which is a bad thing. If they put you out with a twosome or threesome you'll meet some interesting people. Most of the time that's good and almost all the time it can help you work on concentrating on your game. Cheers

I once signed on as a single at Ocean Trails (now called Trump) in Palos Verdes. The cast of the movie "Friday" was playing and they let me into one of their groups. It was the most fun I have ever had playing golf. These guys sucked at golf, knew nothing about the rules, but I spent the better part of 5 hours laughing my ass off.

That is awesome, I would love to be paired up with a group like that

Bag: Cheapo
Driver:983K
Woods: Steelhead
Irons-PW: X-12
SW: 56* CG14LW: 60* CG14Putter:Craz-E "I Series"BallNY, NY"Chinch Bugs"

I went out today, like most days as a single. It rules. I hit my drive, then i hit like 4 balls after that. Get up to the green and hang out there for a few minutes with mulitple balls. Practice, practice, practice.

That was the front 9 today. The back was busy. So i met up with a twosome and another single. Friendly guys at around the same level i am.

I have plans to play at a new place on friday, alone also.

I get off as a single all the time. Wait..... are we talking about golf?

I was at the practice putting green the other day and some older guy walks up to me and asks "are you single?" (I was a little taken aback - I am a married man)

I said "Who wants to know?" Turns out he was the starter....

I play as a single maybe half the time and I have to say it's one of the great joys of the game of golf for me - the ability to walk on like this I mean. What other sport offers the opportunity to participate with a bunch of other people you've never met, on an even footing and all (usually) having a great time of it? That's all that I ask, that everyone basically has a good time, no matter what the final score. I usually play on beautiful courses and in good weather - what's not to like?

Once you realize that what's going on out there is strictly between you and the course, i.e. once you quit being aware (self consciously) of others' presence and just focus on your own play, THEN you start really enjoying the scene.

Maybe there are other sports where something like this happens (fishing? surfing? hunting?), but I haven't been involved in one. It's the main reason that I wish that I'd taken up the game 30 years earlier - to think of all the interesting people I would have met ....

I've been involved in a lot of other sports over the years and in this respect, nothing else even comes close.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

i have never played as a single but i can see it being relazing as well as allowing you to increase focus on your game. When you're out there with your friends, you tend to go off in casual conversation and next you know you are next to hit and you haven't even pulled a club yet which means you have to rush your routine. I just may try it out

My Bag 
Driver:         905R 9.5* Dyamana Whiteboard

3W:            909F2 15.5* Diamana Blueboard

Utility:          Idea Pro Black 18*

Irons 3-PW: 690MB Project X 6.0

Wedges:     Vokey Spin Milled 50*/Vokey Spin Milled 58*

Putter:        Studio Select Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!