IGNORED

Wedges and 2010

neudi
Note: This thread is 5507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are the changes that are occuring in 2010 regarding wedge games and what do you have to do if you have an old wedge that does not fit with the standards. Are they going to make it illegal for clubs produced after 2010 or are they going to make all wedges that don't fit the new criteria illegal.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Aren't they just getting rid of the deep square grooves? I would think that every wedge would have to comply to this change. Otherwise, all of the pros would buy up all of the old wedges and use those

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Aren't they just getting rid of the deep square grooves? I would think that every wedge would have to comply to this change. Otherwise, all of the pros would buy up all of the old wedges and use those

Im buying some off of ebay this week.

• Administrator
What are the changes that are occuring in 2010 regarding wedge games and what do you have to do if you have an old wedge that does not fit with the standards. Are they going to make it illegal for clubs produced after 2010 or are they going to make all wedges that don't fit the new criteria illegal.

Very simple:

Pros will have to play conforming clubs (not just wedges) starting next year. Manufacturers will have to stop manufacturing soon-to-be illegal clubs next year. You're free to play any club you want. If you want the current grooves, buy them before 2010. If you buy a club made after 2010, they'll conform to the new regulations. If you want to play in other USGA competitions (or other high-level tournaments), the date you really have to worry about is January 1, 2014. But if you're that good, you likely won't still have a five-year-old wedge anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Any club manufactured after January 1 2010 will have to conform to the new rule to be legal. If you have clubs which were made before the deadline, then they will be grandfathered in for normal club level play until 2024.

I suspect that illegal clubs will still be available as always, but you run the risk of disqualification if you use them in any competition.

I seriously doubt that most amateurs will ever even perceive a difference. We don't swing hard enough, nor are we accurate enough for it to matter.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Just joined as looking to buy a new 56 and 60 degree wedge this weekend. Can't figure out how to create new post so hope you don't mind me asking in this forum. Has anyone tried the eidolon wedges? Or how about the tour edge xtreme spin wedge? Advice is appreciated. Thanks

Just joined as looking to buy a new 56 and 60 degree wedge this weekend. Can't figure out how to create new post so hope you don't mind me asking in this forum. Has anyone tried the eidolon wedges? Or how about the tour edge xtreme spin wedge? Advice is appreciated. Thanks

I have heard good things about the Eidolon wedges. From the people I have talked to, they liked them better than Cleveland and Titleist. Now I haven't hit them. I don't have any input on the tour edge though.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 5507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!