IGNORED

Date w/ Donald Ross

Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Next Tuesday I'm headed back out to the Sandhills (1 1/2 hrs away) to play Southern Pines. Picked up a round for $45 each on last minute golfer. It was designed back in 1906 by Ross, and the greens are very much Ross greens from what I hear. Anyway, just thought I would share the fact that I can't wait to play this historic course. I will post a review when I get back... anyone else play this course?

http://www.southernpinesgc.com/thegolf.html

I might hit up another area course that afternoon... anyone have any suggestions (not too expensive)? I've already played Pine Needles, Legacy Golf Links and Whispering Pines... so something other than those (and Pinehurst is too expensive this time around)?
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

really... no one has anything to say about playing a Donald Ross design, about Southern Pines specifically, or about other area courses?

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• Administrator
I haven't played it.

There's a course you might enjoy out there... designed by Dan Maple and with a bit of a horse racing theme... http://www.longleafgolf.com/ . I played at another of his courses, The Pit, when it was really really really cold, but it's probably a good bet too. Neither is terribly expensive.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played Southern Pines and it is a nice track. Since you've already played Pine Needles and ruled out the Pinehurst resort courses, you should try Mid Pines- another D Ross design.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
Please post your thoughts and observations.

I did a short search for posts on D Ross, didn't see much here.
Perhaps a number of members don't know or care ?

Most of his work in my area is only available on private courses, so it's a treat to be able to play one.

I just played a course he had some redesign work on. It was awesome compared to
most of the muni's I've played. Not so much in the terrain, but what was done with the 'canvas ' to work with. Very little water comes into play, and mostly quite flat.
The bunkering and mounding really added to the play. And the clubhouse was really cool
Check out the picture on the link.

http://ravisloecountryclub.com/golf/...oecountryclub/

Looking to fit this in sometime this year -

http://www.frenchlick.com/golf/donaldRoss/index.jsp

For a little extra reading and list of courses -

http://www.donaldross.org/

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Linville Golf Club, Linville, NC. Beautiful setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've played a number of times since my family vacations in the area since the 30's. There is a lodge there Esceola so you can play as a guest of the lodge. Otherwise I believe it is private. Scottish style course with a trout stream that criss crosses through a number of holes.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Also played River Oaks in Houston, TX. Fine golf course in the heart of probably the most amazing neighborhood on the planet. I'm serious, if you haven't driven through River Oaks you won't know what I'm talking about. Oil money $$$.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

There is a Donald Ross course by my condo that i played yesterday. It was very beautiful and if you were wondering it is called the Donald Ross Memorial Course at Boyne Highlands in Northern Michigan in a city called Harbor Springs.

In my Nike Bag...
Driver: 460 SZ 10.5*
Woods: SZ 3 and 7
Hybrid: Ignite
Irons: IgniteWedges: Big Bertha 55*, 58*Putter: FuturaBall: Penta, TP Black

There is a Donald Ross course by my condo that i played yesterday. It was very beautiful and if you were wondering it is called the Donald Ross Memorial Course at Boyne Highlands in Northern Michigan in a city called Harbor Springs.

That is NOT a Donald Ross course... it is a course designed to replicate many famous DR holes, not a course that was done by Ross himself. It is an interesting course with some great redesigns, but again, it is not a Ross course.

As to playing Southern Pines a few weeks ago... The course was fantastic, unfortunately it rained like crazy all night before our round and even postponed our tee time. In fact it started raining again just after we finished, but the course was still in great shape despite the rain, however the greens were rolling a bit slower than usual. The course was pretty challenging for being just over 6200 yards, and some of the tee shots into hills made some holes seem to play longer. It was a course that was best played with thought given as to how you want to approach the green. I am certain that course knowledge would help immensely. The greens were very unique and challenging with large mounds and rolls built into them... putting was key. Despite two of the par 5's being very reachable, I reached neither. On one a good drive lands you on a severe downslope and you must play a mid-long iron to an elevated green, which makes for a difficult shot, and the green has a large false front and severe ledge where the flag was set. I hit my second right due to the downhill lie, and was pin high, but between me and the flag was a bunker, furthermore, the pin was 10 ft past the ledge which ran off the front and anything long would leve a scary putt back at the hole. I came up short with my chip and rolled down the hill, then three putted for bogey. Typical of that day, short game was key, and the course could really make you look silly at times. I will play there again, and would recomend anyone to check out the Sandhills as one of the best pure golf destinations in the country. DR has public courses all over the area, and many other architects have duplicated his style in other area designs. I have also played Pine Needles (maybe my favorite course I've ever played), and other area courses, and plan to visit many more times since I live so close.

• 2 weeks later...
Got to add another one to my list. Visiting in Augusta, I played Forest Hills.
I guess this is the closest I will ever get to playing Augusta National :)

Nice course, greens were almost too slow. [ I need all the help I can get ].
Could use a little maintenance. Good green fee, however, $36 w /cart.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!