IGNORED

Donald Trump buys Lowes Island

cougar978
Note: This thread is 5492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder what it'd take to get a tee time at that place once Trump is done with it - I'd sure love to play it, because Trump has a great reputation in terms of golf course design, but I don't think I could stand dealing with the rich snobs out there. OK, here's the deal..

Three weeks ago, I played at Williamsburg Country Club, which is another snobbish private course, but I was allowed to play because I subscribe to the VSGA VIP program (it's basically a discount card and the profits go toward a scholarship program) - anyway, I went out there in a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and an Orioles hat and got dirty looks from the members at least three times (espeically the old fogeys who can't hit the ball out of their shadow anymore). The only thing that I enjoyed from that experience was the fact that I shot 74 from the black tees. Outside of that, I feel like I was treated like trailer park trash.

Anyway, my question is, are any of you apprehensive about playing upscale or private clubs because you worry about having to deal with ignorant people with more money than brains? I'm starting to want to use it as motivation to go play even better, just to rub their noses in it whenever I can.

Three weeks ago, I played at Williamsburg Country Club, which is another snobbish private course, but I was allowed to play because I subscribe to the VSGA VIP program (it's basically a discount card and the profits go toward a scholarship program) - anyway, I went out there in a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and an Orioles hat and got dirty looks from the members at least three times (espeically the old fogeys who can't hit the ball out of their shadow anymore). The only thing that I enjoyed from that experience was the fact that I shot 74 from the black tees. Outside of that, I feel like I was treated like trailer park trash.

They treated you like trailer park trash because you dressed like it. And, I doubt the course is as "snobbish" as you say because most private courses I've played wouldn't even let you out there dressed like that.

While I cannot justify the cost of a private club membership, I am not resentful of those who can afford it. And, you can be certain I am respectful of their rules when invited. I have a client who takes me to a member-guest every year at historic Ridgewood CC. Whenever I go to thank him, he always says "it's my pleasure to take someone who truly appreciates it".

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

They treated you like trailer park trash because you dressed like it. And, I doubt the course is as "snobbish" as you say because most private courses I've played wouldn't even let you out there dressed like that.

I was within the dress code of the club with a collared shirt and khaki shorts. I wasn't wearing anything remotely offensive, and I don't appreciate being pre-judged by you. Comments like that are why I can't stand a lot of people from the NY/NJ area.

Anytime you get down south and want to put some money on the line, look me up. I'd gladly enjoy the opportunity to take you the cleaners. :)

I was within the dress code of the club with a collared shirt and khaki shorts. I wasn't wearing anything remotely offensive, and I don't appreciate being pre-judged by you. Comments like that are why I can't stand a lot of people from the NY/NJ area.

You originally said you were wearing a Hawaiin shirt, cargo shorts and a dirty Orioles cap. Most "snobbish" courses I know wouldn't let you on.

I did not pre-judge you, I only commented that your mode of dress would be considered inappropriate at most Country Clubs. You're the one doing the prejuding with your statement about not standing people from the NY/NJ area, lol.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

If you showed up at either of the clubs I belonged to dressed as you described I would have pointed you to the pro shop to buy new threads.

One of the lessons I learned from my late father was "you dress in a way that you wish to be treated". You dressed like a dirt bag and got treated like one. Members of a private country club can set any rules or customs they wish. If you show up at one of these places I would suggest following them. Their turf their rules.

Glock 17

You originally said you were wearing a Hawaiin shirt, cargo shorts and a dirty Orioles cap. Most "snobbish" courses I know wouldn't let you on.

OK - let me clarify:

1) The shirt in question was a three-button collared golf shirt from Hilo Hattie's in Honolulu (the genuine article) - in excellent condition. 2) My shorts had cargo pockets on either side, but were Dockers khaki pressed - I may have incorrectly classified them as cargo shorts. I'm not a fashion expert. 3) The Orioles hat was in pristine condition. Dude, it's been a rough day at the office today - I probably came off pretty sh*tty, and for that I apologize.

He never said his Orioles cap was dirty. Just sayin'.

He never said his Orioles cap was dirty. Just sayin'.

The Orioles caps are black and hide dirt really well - there's no way you could tell it was dirty unless you took a magnifying glass to it. Damn it, I'm sorry I even brought this up.

I can't believe you just wrote that after you "pre-judged" everyone at that club and "a lot of people from NY/NJ area"

and I don't appreciate being pre-judged by you. Comments like that are why I can't stand a lot of people from the NY/NJ area.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't believe you just wrote that after you "pre-judged" everyone at that club and "a lot of people from NY/NJ area"

I'm just speaking from experience, man.

Your opinion of me is probably not very high right now, and to be blunt, I could care less. I went to, lettered two years, and won an individual district championship at, a high school in an affluent area, and my family didn't have very much back then. As a result, the rich kids treated me like I was an outcast. Maybe this put me in a negative mindset about some players, but it is what it is. The only way to shut them up was to outplay them and take their spots on the travel squad. When I play, the mindset I have is to get the ball in the hole in less strokes than everyone else while being courteous and minding the etiquette of the game. It's maddeningly difficult to consistently function at a high level on the course, and if I start worrying about what anyone thinks about me, it takes me away from my primary mission - again - getting the ball in the hole in less strokes than everyone else. That's my job out there. If you play with me, you'd probably either think I was rude or socially inept if you don't know me (I know the 'you don't know me' line doesn't come off well), but I play my best when I'm lost in my own little world. If I play in a tournament and the round turns into a 'koombaya' festival, you can bet that my round is headed for the toilet nine times out of 10.

OK troops, lets get back to the reason for the tread in the first place. I have been lucky to be invited to play some very nice private courses such as a Cliff's Community (The Valley Course) in SC, Kingsley Club in Michigan, etc.

I feel that if I'm invited to play an upscale private course, I should dress for it. Nice shorts (without cargo pockets), A very nice polo shirt from a very nice course I had previously played. An appropriate hat (no Mickey Mouse ears or funny sayings).

You would not wear work cloths (jeans, sweat shirt, etc.) to a wedding. Use the same thinking about playing a private course.

Anyone wearing a Orioles hat should not be allowed on any course. GO BO-SOX!

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

You would not wear....jeans...to a wedding.

You've apparently never been to any Texas weddings.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I never said anything about your style of play. It usually takes me a couple of holes to read the people I get paired with and I adjust my attitude toward them appropriately...

If a player is quite and stand offish I give him space and a nice shot here and there. If a player is chatty I will talk with him. No big deal either way. But getting back to your original question... Right or wrong people will judge you by your appearance. If I was going to be playing an upscale club I would over dress if anything. It is not like you walk around with your income engraved on your forehead so if you are getting bad attitude it must be something else. As for the kids teasing you... joint the club. I was absolutely tortured in school because my first name was Kelly. I was treated like a second class citizen by the teachers and staff because I went to a catholic school but was not catholic. You know what... It didn't mean a damn thing a few years latter, life goes on and things change, let it go and have fun. Shoot your low scores for you, not to try and prove anything to "them".
I'm just speaking from experience, man.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

When I first built that plane in my avatar a few people said I should add Orioles stickers to the wings...

I LOL and said "yea right, I don't want to crash and burn!"

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

You're right - they sure are stinking it up this year.

I was absolutely tortured in school because my first name was Kelly.

So, when you leave one short do your friends still have to call you Alice or...?

*friendly ribbing punch in the shoulder* Legal Disclaimer: The preceding post was meant in satire in the manor good buddies would put forth, and in no way should be taken as serious teasing. The originator of this post assumes no liability for any hurt feelings that may be incurred by the reading of this post. Should anyone experience psychological trauma lasting more than 4 hours as a result of this post, an appropriate apology in a manor suitable to the individual reader should be assumed. Apology not valid in all states or countries, and is void where prohibited.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Note: This thread is 5492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!