IGNORED

ProV1s....I should have never tried them!

Note: This thread is 5475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a gift cert that I recently used to pick up my first ever box of ProV1s. My experience with these had been limited to two lost balls that I found on the courses and played.

All I can say is that I now fully understand the hype surrounding this ball....and furthermore....I feel it's justified. I can see why every other ball in the market is using this ball as their benchmark.

The two main reasons I had steered away from these for so long was the price and I just didn't think I had the game to warrant the use of such a premium ball.

I hit some shots on today's round that convinced me that these are a good fit for me....all except the price. I hit a few bombs off the tee as well as some tight wedge shots. They were really sweet when it came time to ask for a cut or draw, too.

I'll give you one example and leave it at that. Par 5 number 9 at Bartram Trail (local track...good course.....bentgrass greens in decent shape). I was standing over my approach shot.... 65 yards from the flag. The ball position wasn't such that I felt comfortable opening the face to take off distance...uneven lie and all. I decided to just swing fully and go through the shot and carry it past the flag. A buddy of mine was up near the green and yelled back, "Great shot....go in the hole!!!". I walked up and took a look at things. The ball was 3 ft in front of the hole....the ball mark was just behind the flag. He said that ball landed behind the flag...hopped twice, fairly deep....dropped and then zipped back with authority...almost holed out on the pass by the hole.

The ball really surprised me with driver, too. I was aggravated by my poor putting on a few holes and would step to the next tee with a bit of vengence brewing.....I tried to really peel the cover off on many tee shots....what I got was a ball that tracked very nicely into any wind and carried a ton.

I was also highly impressed with the durability of these balls. This dozen is one of the "new" types. Supposedly they enhanced durabiltiy. They certainly lasted nicely.....until I did something stupid like hook two into the woods. My hooks are another issue entirely, though. Let's just say me and my 5 iron aren't on speaking terms right now. Hopefully it will redeem itself tomorrow.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Yeah....those balls are wonderful. I always try looking for those on the course when I go out.

You are having the same problem with ur 5 iron too? I refuse to speak to him as well. He is on my shit list.

Yeah....those balls are wonderful. I always try looking for those on the course when I go out.

Broke out a fresh sleeve of these hot pills on the practice green just prior to teeing off today. They really putted nicely...wouldn't want anything softer, though.

Anyway.....first time I needed 5 iron was on a par 5. I wanted to layup with it after my driver. I figured 5 iron would give me a perfect wedge in to a well protected green. I figured wrong....ball lept up and began at the target and then nicely hooked into the woods. Later on I needed 5 iron for a par 3. Same freaking thing. The pin was on the left edge of green that falls away on that side....I'm happier hitting cuts....should have simply aimed at the flag and let it drop or work back to the center. Instead I aim for the center and set up for a draw.....the ball started well and then just hooked hard into bad places that only denizens of the forrest inhabit. I can't blame it on the balls. These ProVs did perfect when they were called on to work otherwise....dang 5 iron may sit in the car when I tee off in the morning.
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Same thing happened to me...just on last Friday. Bought a 3 ball sleeve, tried them out, and I have never putted so well in my life. This ball is amazing off the putter and I was sticking my wedges within 10ft every time. Amazing ball. It even did well in the afternoon when the greens firmed up.

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

I would like to comment about the Pro V1's but my handicap is far too high for me to pay that much for a ball but I can comment that I never get a long with my 5 iron

What's In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki 
Irons: Taylormade R11
Wedges: Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: Taylormade Penta TP5

I hit some shots on today's round that convinced me that these are a good fit for me....all except the price.

You can get them used for next to nothing at lostgolfballs.com. They are great to deal with and their grading scale is very accurate...if anything the balls are better than the grade indicates. I think I've seen an ad for them on this forum.

The ball really surprised me with driver, too. I was aggravated by my poor putting on a few holes and would step to the next tee with a bit of vengence brewing.....I tried to really peel the cover off on many tee shots....what I got was a ball that tracked very nicely into any wind and carried a ton.

I find just the opposite. I like the Pro V1 for chipping and the putter feel can't be beat, but it balloons like crazy for me with the driver. The V1x does sometimes, but nothing like the V1.

Anyway, congratulations on finding a ball that really works for you. There really is a big difference between premium balls and two piece, surlyn-covered balls when it comes to scoring shots...for all handicaps. If you don't want to go the used Pro V1 route, there are a plethora of decent mid-range balls to choose from. My favorite for the price is the Top Flite Gamer, but the Callaway HX Hot Bite, Titleist NXT Tour, Taylor Made Burner TP and Bridgestone E5+ are all great performers for $30 or less per dozen.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I think that when my current ammo ProV1 and Nike ONE Vapors are depleted I'm going to play the Gamer ball.

My golfing budget is offset by buddies who want to play other courses than just my home course. Staying within budget is huge right now. Things are getting scary at work.....hoping the economy continues to pic up...and folks get back to work and begin spending money again......come on Dow...keep rebounding.

Who knows....by the end of this summer I may be gaming these ProV1s as my regular pill. I very well may give the lostball.com thing a whirl...thanks for the tip.

There was also a thread around here a while back about how water seeps into balls over time and will hurt the performance of the golf ball. Used ones might not give the performance you are looking for...

but I guess that is something only you can find out on a ball by ball basis.

I'm on of those people that hate to buy things because everyone else does. Even if it's the best shit out. I just hate being a sheep. But anyways, I've always played the B330's since their inception and before that I played only Nike's. Soooooo...one day on the course I happened to find a ProV1 ( i guess the spinnier of the bunch) and decided to give it a whirl. Well, as much as I love the B330's, I feel that my game revolves more around my ball striking and short game and the ProV1's got what I need... Amazing feel off irons and wedges. Butter off the putter.. :rhyme: It's as soft as a donut hole off the driver, which I hate, but I'm not a very good driver anyways so that's a moot point.

Long story short...once my box of B330's run out...it's ProV1's from here on out.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

theres a local mom-n-pop shop here in Tampa that sells used ProV1's (in GREAT condition too!) for $12.99/dozen and $19.99/dozen for the ones that look like theyve never been hit

Bonaventure (a local golf shop) sells last years ProV1x's for $35 and the new ones for $40. I don't know what their stock situation is on last year's balls? The last time I was there I didn't see any ProV1's but stacks of ProV1x's. I've really been thinking hard about picking up box of last year's ProV1x's while they last. I've still got a few left in my bag from last year and have been saving them up, but $35 isn't a bad price for premium urethane balls.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I would like to comment about the Pro V1's but my handicap is far too high for me to pay that much for a ball but I can comment that I never get a long with my 5 iron

lol!!! same for me!!! my handicap is so high that i refuse to pay that much for balls right now... but i am hoping to try them out soon.. (if i find one on the course =])

Bag: Warbird X

Driver: FT-9 10*
Woods: X-Fairway 3 & 5
Irons: Burner XD Steel 4-AWPutter: White Hot XG 330Ball: Soft Feel

There was also a thread around here a while back about how water seeps into balls over time and will hurt the performance of the golf ball. Used ones might not give the performance you are looking for...

I can not really speak to this other than to say that I have personally been unable to discern a difference with my level of ballstriking. I have compared them side-by-side during rounds and consistently seen similar results from the new and used balls, but keep in mind I'm a 14 index. I can say that a used urethane ball still easily outperforms a new surlyn ball around the greens and my scores are lower as a result.

Also, lostgolfballs.com offers a money-back guarantee for 30 days if the condition is not as advertised...so if you were to notice a difference you could get a refund.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I am thinking, how long can these balls actually sit in the water before being fetched. They're too valuable at 4.00 per ball. At one course I play down here that has alot of water, they (whoever they are) are hawking the balls on a daily basis.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

I LOVE the Pro V1. Love the feel, love the sound, love the performance, and even love the way they look. However, I'm not sure I'm good enough to actually score better using this ball over something less expensive.

I've scored well with the Pro V1, but I've also scored well with other less expensive balls from Callaway, Nike, and Titliest (NXT Tour).

I think the bottom line is if you can afford it and like it, play it. However, I think most people could use a less expensive ball and score just as well...

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

P.S. If you want a cheaper alternative, get the Pro V1 Practice balls. Not a bad deal for the same feel/performance.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I LOVE the Pro V1. Love the feel, love the sound, love the performance, and even love the way they look. However, I'm not sure I'm good enough to actually score better using this ball over something less expensive.

Oh lord, how I have tried to find another ball other than the prov1. There is so much out there that's it's hard to find a really bad ball that you simply can't score with but time and again when I am hitting some other ball eventually I go back to the prov. It's just.... right.

I find just the opposite. I like the Pro V1 for chipping and the putter feel can't be beat, but it balloons like crazy for me with the driver.

See, this is the reason I read forums like this. I've tried the Pro V1 on occasion and I just don't hit it as well as other balls (NXT's or DT So-Lo's for example). My drives are just not as consistent (left to right) when I use a Pro V1. I just always assumed that my swing speed and ball striking weren't good enough to really get the benefit from the Pro V1????

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

Note: This thread is 5475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!