IGNORED

Low or high bounce?

Note: This thread is 6557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently use Cleveland wedges (56 and 60), but I tried out the Vokeys and want to switch. My pro recommended a 54 and 60.

So, my choices are the SM 54.10 or 54.14, and the SM 60.04 or 60.08. Is there really a large difference between those bounce angles, or is it splitting hairs?

I want to retain the ability to clip the ball off a fairway lie, which I guess would be easier with a low bounce, but I don't want that to cause me problems in the rough.

I'm a 9 index.

Will
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

• Administrator
I prefer low bounce because I like knowing that I can remove all the bounce - or at least 90% of it - if I want to without playing the ball behind my rear foot or other crazy things.

Others like higher bounces on their wedges. I tend to manipulate mine a lot more - changing the attack angles, open-ness, position in stance, etc. I feel like less bounce gives me more options.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Out here on the coast the soil is very sandy and loose and gets pretty squishy when wet, so I have the highest available bounce in my wedges. When I play inland, I find sometimes that doesn't work so well when I get on fairways that have more clay in the soil. I use my 60 out of the bunkers so I like having the extra bounce for that as well.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

of course it's personal preference (and dominant course conditions you play at) but I'd go with 54.10 and 60.04. 10 is plenty for fairway shots and LW better be bounceless for all these flop shots

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I decided to go with more bounce, since our course plays pretty soft all around. I got the Vokey spin-milled 54.14 and 60.08.

These clubs are good. They feel really solid, just the right weight, and they look great. I was able to easily hit the 60 off the fairway, even did some nice high Phil-flops. Well, not exactly Phil-flops. :)

Thanks for the input.
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

Note: This thread is 6557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!