IGNORED

Titleist 704 CB's and Me

Note: This thread is 6552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing with Titleist 704 CB's with R300 shafts for a second season now.

I'm a 12 handicap with great aspirations to reach the single digit range one day, and I do play a lot. However, I do know when I'm out on the course I'd be lucky to hit one really sweet iron shot...you know one of those buttery, smooth, juicy buggers that feel effortless. And when I do hit one of those, I think to myself...so that's how an iron shot is supposed to feel. The remaining 22 or more iron shots never feel like that one. I often miss either short or right of target.

I suppose the question I'm faced with is this....these irons are a forged cavity back, so they're supposed to allow workability but also with forgiveness, probably suited for the mid to low handicappers. Would strictly speaking, my iron striking improve with an even more forgiving iron....I don't even want to say it, but perhaps a "game improvement iron"? Let's put it this way, the thought of having to hit a pure 4 iron frightens me (don't ask about the 5 iron).

I know I miss toeside, and sometimes take a heavy divot, therefore hitting really high on the clubface. Had I been swinging a more forgiving iron, maybe it would still feel like a half decent shot with reasonable success?

You may need to get your lie checked to see if your sticks are complementing your swing plane. The other thing to consider, coming from someone that plays sticks well outside of his handicap range, is that a more forgiving club means less feedback which may lead to more swing faults.

I went from shovels to these muscle-cavity-backs and immediately started improving my iron game. Just a thought. There's no way I want to go back to a bigger, more forgiving iron and I'm a pretty high handicap.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
If you're serious about improving, I agree with what Jeff's said: you want the feel. I would check your lie and whatnot.

The 704s are, outside of Titleist's (no longer produced) 804s, Titleist's most "forgiving" iron. You're not even in the 600 range (690.CB, 680, 695.MB, etc.). The 700 series - even the 735s and the upcoming 755s - are what Titleist produces for the 10-18 handicap crowd (roughly).

So... stick with what you've got, definitely get your lie checked, and get a lesson or two. You can get there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If golf feels like punishment, and you think your irons are a contributing factor, then by all means try out some new sticks. Go to a demo day and try out a variety of clubs. I just got done with a 6-week MP-60 experiment and went back to my Callaways because I liked them more, plain and simple. It needs to be about what makes you enjoy the game - different strokes for different folks.

But Iacas is right, you're already using one of Titleist's most forgiving irons, so you might be better served to take some of that new iron money and put it into a couple of hours with a pro.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I notice your Callaway irons are the x-18 pro series. How do those compare with the x-tours?
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

The X-tours are forged and have a softer feel to them. And they have more of a traditional appearance, although the topline is pretty thick compared to the mp-60 or the 695 titleists. I've hit the X-tours a few times and liked them, but the X-18's performed just as well for me at a much lower price point.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Note: This thread is 6552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!