IGNORED

Imagine Bobby Jones with a Titanium Driver

jorruss
Note: This thread is 5437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The WSJ author said because his ball was shorter, moderately offline shots did not travel far enough to get into trouble as often.

You are correct about what John Paul Newport said. I have noticed the same thing for a different reason. My clubhead speed is 92 mph with a driver and 88 mph with a 6 iron. My driver carries 228 yards on average, and my 6 iron goes 143 yards. My son hits his drives 281 yards with a driver and his 6 iron flies about 166 yards. When we play together, I never miss a fairway, and I work the ball with straight shots, draws, and fades. He hits 10 fairways. So, his greater distance results in fewer fairways hits. His handicap is 1, and my is 4. So distance does pay off in more birides for him (3 to 4 a round vs. 1 or 2 for me), but on a tight course, I usually beat him. I am a better putter and chipper, and get "up an in" more frequently than he does.

FINAL CONCLUSION: the short hitter can do well, even with modern equipment, if he or she has a great short game, and practices good course management.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible to know simply because, assuming they were in the modern era with the modern equipment AND modern course designs/setups as well as modern teaching and training methods, they would be completely different golfers than what they were. However, if you were to simply take the modern equipment back in time and give it to them I'm sure it would change them, but I'm not sure how much.

Hogan was the equivalent of j.b. holmes and bubba watson in his era. He was known to absolutely destroy the ball.

His swing speed was estimated at over 130mph. Trust me, the little man could flat out kill it.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

Hogan was the equivalent of j.b. holmes and bubba watson in his era. He was known to absolutely destroy the ball.

You are correct. Have you ever watched the old "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf" match between Slammin' Sammy Snead in Houston. It is a classic, and both of these guys could "kill it". Their drives went 250-270 yards! They were using persimmon headed drivers and balata balls, so that tells you something about the old equipment and balls.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!