IGNORED

Golf Club Distance

Jigowatt
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey there, is this website correct in its distances?

No they exagerate like everyone else. The author says "most amateurs - according to Golf Digest - average somewhere around 195-205 yards with their drivers." Then in the chart the author gives the range of distaces with the driver as "Driver200-230-260"

Something doesn't add up.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

200-230-260 is a range... for shorter, medium and longer hitters. I can see it being helpful for those who have no idea how far they hit most of their irons. In fact, a friend of mine used that very same list when he started playing golf - until he got his irons dialed in.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

200-230-260 is a range... for shorter, medium and longer hitters. I can see it being helpful for those who have no idea how far they hit most of their irons. In fact, a friend of mine used that very same list when he started playing golf - until he got his irons dialed in.

If 200 is the range for a shorter hitter how can the author say "most amateurs - according to Golf Digest - average somewhere around 195-205 yards with their drivers." Wouldn't the range look more like 170-200-230?

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I am not disparaging anyone that uses this list. I am just pointing out an inconsistency.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I agree with the inconsistancy in what they call average and how the article flows in relation to that... only to say that the chart does a pretty good job of getting what I feel are the average driver and iron distances (230) for most regular golf amateurs.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I am not really following the chart, just trying to find out if I am average with my swings. I have only been swinging for about 5 days now. Just noobin' it up out here :) So basically the chart is exaggerated, and range really varies between golfers.

Most people don't hit the driver nearly as far as they think. You really need to measure with a GPS, not just using the yardage markers on the course. It isn't accurate to assume that on a 370 yard par 4 that because you have 100 yards to go that you must have hit it 270. Those yardages you mentioned are for average golfers....everyone on this site is far from average

In my midsize staff bag:

Diablo 9deg Draw Driver - Aldila NVS Reg Flex
Diablo 13 deg Draw 3 Wood - Aldila NVS Reg Flex
Slingshot Tour 2 Hybrid Slingshot Tour 3 Hybrid AP1 4 Iron through Gap wedge - Nippon NS Pro 100 Reg Flex Shafts - Golf Pride MC Decade Red Grips Vokey Spin Milled 56/10 Sand Wedge

The article is pretty straight up about the fact that there is a huge range in distances among golfers. I would say that the chart is fairly accurate in the mid-range. I am not a long hitter by any means but I make pretty good contact. I have really tried to keep track of my distances over the last few years and am very comfortable now in my yardages. Many people I play with hit longer than me, but not as consistent with their clubs. It's all about knowing your swing. Also, most players (especially those on this site) can take a little off or pump up a little to get a reasonably accurate range in each club. My distances are as follows, with a normal swing (these are averages, For instance I can get 270+ out of my driver now and again, but not usually):
Driver: 215
3 Wood: 190-200
5 Wood: 180
3 Hybrid: 170 (don't hit 3 Iron anymore)
4 Iron: 160
5 Iron: 145-155
6 Iron: 140
7 Iron: 125
8 Iron: 110
9 Iron: 100
PW (full): 90
56*: 50

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Most mid to high handicappers base their claims of how far they hit certain clubs on that one career shot they hit 5 years ago. Just because your 8 iron went 150 yards that one time, doesn't mean it will go 150 yards every time. These same people are the ones that come up one or two clubs short on every approach more because of an inflated ego than a bad swing.

Distances vary so much it's impossible to just take a small sample of players and make general claims. You have to factor in the players' ability, the weather, the altitude, the course conditions, the clubs being used, the temperature, the ball, etc.

I remember a weekend a few years back where the 17th hole is a 535 par 5. One day it was warm and dry, downwind and I hit driver - 8 Iron to the green. The next day a cold front came in and it rained overnight. The wind shifted 180 degrees and on the same hole I hit Driver - 3 Iron - 7 iron. I hit an 8 Iron 185 yards the first day, and a 7 iron 145 yards the next. So, can anyone tell me how far I hit a normal 7 iron?

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Most mid to high handicappers base their claims of how far they hit certain clubs on that one career shot they hit 5 years ago. Just because your 8 iron went 150 yards that one time, doesn't mean it will go 150 yards every time. These same people are the ones that come up one or two clubs short on every approach more because of an inflated ego than a bad swing.

I would say a minimum of 231.6 yards. Hah just kidding.

Anyway I know what you mean, I was 170 out and tried delofting a pitching wedge and it turned out perfect, but at impact it was probably an 8 iron so instead of a 170 yard wedge it was a 170 yard 8 iron.

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!