IGNORED

Ball Retriever: Helpful accessory or 15th club?

Note: This thread is 5439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's consider the evidence:

1. It's long and skinny like a club.

2. It actually fits inside the main compartment of your golf bag, and not relegated to an external sheath like your umbrella.

3. Under certain special circumstances (admittedly rare) it can be used to advance the ball.

Based on the above, I say 15th club.

Every Pro V1/Callaway Black/Nike ONE Black I have in my bag was supplied from my ball retriever. I vote helpful accessory.

In my sunmountain.gif bag:
Driver  cleveland.gif  '09 Launcher 9* with Fit-On M Red X
Hybrids:  titleist.gif  585.H 21* with YS-6+ S, 585.H 17* with NVS Aldila X
Irons:  callaway.gif  Tour Authentic X-Prototype 4-PW with X100
Wedges:  callaway.gif  X Series Jaws 52*, 56*, 60*Putter:  callaway.gif  Tour Blue TT2Range Finder:  bushnell.gif  1500 TE

It looks like your only concern would be...does make ball retrivers?

907D2 driver and 906D4 3 wood
Idea Pro Gold 3 4 5 hybrids
Apex Plus 6 7 8 9 E irons
900 52 gap 56 sand 60 lob wedges
Rossa Suzuka Putter

I was under the impression that clubs were carried for the soul purpose of expeditiously losing golf balls. Since a retriever doesn't fit that description I say it's an accessory.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

It looks like your only concern would be...does

HA HA HA that was good maybe a ball to from ping(anyone know why they havent done this yet).

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I'm 99% sure the rule on this is that it's an accessory because it does not have a club head at the end. Therefore, perfectly legal to carry if you already have 14 clubs.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

HA HA HA that was good maybe a ball to from ping(anyone know why they havent done this yet).

Years ago Ping used to make balls. They had this god-awful half fluorescent orange/half yellow ball I remember seeing occasionally. They are still probably throwing up a little over that fiasco...

Edit: Ping Golf Balls A far as ball retrievers, I added one this year as the club I joined has these gnarly thorn bushes in all the tree lined ravines that line several of the fairways as well as a couple strategically placed creeks. It's already come in handy retrieving balls from the thorn bushes a few times. There are some places there that even the the ground dwelling varmints won't go...

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I thought the half one color half another color ping balls were to practice your putting with.

My dad had a ball retriever, and had a piece of tape on it were he kept track of the balls he retrieved. Little pencil marks. Like a gun slinger. His rule was that he only put a mark on it when he retrieved one of his own balls. I remember he had like 16 marks on it. He played in Florida.

He also put a fluffy headcover on it so people would not know he had one.

907D2 driver and 906D4 3 wood
Idea Pro Gold 3 4 5 hybrids
Apex Plus 6 7 8 9 E irons
900 52 gap 56 sand 60 lob wedges
Rossa Suzuka Putter

They are not considered clubs as they are not used to hit the ball. They are perfectly legal. This was debated on The Golf Channel yesterday, I'm not sure what show
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

What if you hit the ball with it, or putt with it, would that be illegal?

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

It looks like your only concern would be...does

I believe my experience with those god-awful, rock hard Ping balls is well documented in the forum. But in case you missed that, I tried them, and they sucked.

It's a fishing pole.......

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

It came in handy to retrieve my sand wedge from 10' up a blue spruce tree the other day.

I wish I could say it slipped, but I threw that SOB after taking 3 strokes to get out of the most godforsaken bunker on earth. Getting it stuck in the tree, however, was completely unintentional.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

i much prefer the soft buttery feel and tactile feedback of forged ball retrievers.

****ing lolllllll

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

I love my retriever... go looking for my Wilson and find a ProV1 ... it's like Christmas!

Driver = Dymo2 10.5*
3W = Sumo2 15*
Hyb= G10 18*
3-PW = G10 Graphite
SW = SV Tour Black 56*/10LW = Aspire 60*Putter = XG TeronBag = Clip-Lok Stand BagBall = Zip

I admit I carry one and have for years, but the one I carry is very compact and is only about 15 inches long or so when not extended. It fits in the side pocket of my bag and almost never comes out. Occasionally I will use it if my ball trickles into hazard and I can see it, but I almost never go looking for balls (the lone exception will be during a really slow round when I come to a hazard and see a few balls at edge - I will pull a few but almost always leave them laying at the edge of the hazard). I also use it occasionally if my balls gets into poison ivy or some other situation where I do not want to go in to retrieve. The most usage comes from my playing partners, though, as they know I carry it.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I much prefer the soft buttery feel and tactile feedback of forged ball retrievers.

True but only if you are properly fitted for one...

Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

Note: This thread is 5439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!