IGNORED

Nicklaus Clubs for Beginner?

Note: This thread is 6529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and to golf. I've been playing off and on for a couple of years, but never had the time to invest. So really I'm a beginner with some knowledge. I would really like to improve my game, but my first step is to buy a set of clubs instead of borrowing a friends.

I went down to my local shops and one was very helpful, but I'm worried he was trying to sell me clubs that are over my head. He suggested the Jack Nicklaus Q4 Iron Set and Q4 Driver and/or 3 wood. I liked the idea of the hybrid 3 & 4. Are these clubs too much for me or will they be a good set that will grow with me? Here is a link to the Q4 irons:

http://www.nicklaus-golf.com/jacknicklaus/q4ironset.php

Or should I just go with a complete set from Dunlop (Big 5 Sports), Wilson (Big 5 Sports) or Nicklaus MV-20 (ebay)

MV-20 Link: http://www.nicklaus-golf.com/jacknicklaus/mv-20.php (found on ebay for $310)

Thanks for the help. I'm just looking for some input.

Did you hit the clubs? Were you fitted? If you are confident you will continue to play, have hit the clubs and liked them, then no these clubs are not over your head. If cost is a primary issue a good set of used clubs is often a better choice, (2-5years old), than brand new low end clubs. If you want to trade up next year you can usually still get something out of them, tough to do with lower end clubs. Clubs last a very long time if well cared for. New grips and proper cleaning are usually enough.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I recently returned a Q4 driver to sports Authority.
VERY poor quality. Adjustible screws fit too tight.
Weak shaft, not long at all.
My suggestion:
BUYTaylormade equipment.
Excellent quality, Name Brand...
You will not feel like a beginner with TM equipment!
580XD driver would be a good choice.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

ok... I'm here to define what is and what isn't a good golf club. Nickalous, a smaller brand, is still a quality golf club. What happens with people is they buy these sets and all of a sudden turn on the television only to see Titleist, Callaway, and Nike commercials. When you boil it down to irons... marketing is king...

so work on your swing, its what makes the shot not the club. You have to be careful of buying out of range of your ability... unfortunately its hard to determine your natural ability and see how fast you will progress

I have been playing for 2.5 years and started out with Hogan shovels, then improved and moved to a TaylorMade OS/LT Custom Combo and now am using the 735.CM's... its all about how much you play, how much confidence you have developed, and how well you progress

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 6529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!