IGNORED

What Shaft/Loft?

Note: This thread is 6527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello All, I am new to this forum and rather new to golf. I bought a new driver, Taylor Made R540 XD 9.5/Stiff (in my price range and have heard good things about it.) but have not used it yet b/c i am having second thoughts about the type which i bought. The problem that i am having is that I do not know what degree loft to get or what type of shaft flex.

I do not know how quickly i swing my club, in MPH, but I am 6'4" (Leverage) and hit my PW about 140-150. I have been using my 3 wood/mid-firm shaft as a driver and it has been working, but i feel a driver will obviously help.

Any advice on what i should do?

Would a 9.5/Stiff work?

All the 10.5/Stiff R540's are sold out, everywhere!!!, but I have found a 10.5 Regular, should i use that instead?

Thanks for any help you can offer.........

Welcome to the game. Allow me to be the first to tell you this, as you'll hear it over and over on this board: Get Fitted.

If you're new to the game, the odds are good that you're probably a little in over your head with a 9.5 degree stiff flex. As you're figuring out the mechanics of the swing, you'll probably want to keep things a little slower, a little smoother. And (especially for the beginner, but even pros hit high lofts these days) higher loft equals higher launch and less sidespin, both very important to producing acceptible drives. I believe Jim Furyk has a 10.9 degree loft on his driver, for example.

Find a shop near you that can get you properly fitted. You'll get a better idea of what loft/flex combo produces optimal results for your swing. You may find that the 10.5 degree regular flex might actually be a better fit than you think.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator
I believe Jim Furyk has a 10.9 degree loft on his driver, for example.

It's 10.5 - the magazine made a typo.

Find a shop near you that can get you properly fitted. You'll get a better idea of what loft/flex combo produces optimal results for your swing. You may find that the 10.5 degree regular flex might actually be a better fit than you think.

I doubt that someone who hits a pitching wedge 140 will find that he likes a regular flex shaft... but getting fitted is important. You may be between S and X, you may want to add or reduce spin or launch angle, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You;ll also find, the shaft on a club has a lot to contribute in terms of spin, feel, flex etc. If you have a Golfsmith, go talk to the clubmaker and tell them what you are looking for from the club. Then they'll put you on their monitor, get the numbers from there and make their recommendations. This way your driver will be set up for the proper launch, spin, and SS for your swing.

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

Based on what you say in your post, it sounds like the driver you've picked would be a fine start. If you hit your wedge 140, then my guess is you'd be hitting an R-flex driver all over the place.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

The best favor you can do for yourself is to get fitted by a pro, either at a reputable golf store that has a launch monitor or at a greenside pro shop that also has a launch monitor. The pro can determine by the results shown on the monitor the correct shaft and loft for your driver and, even, help determine which driver you are best hitting.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

It's 10.5 - the magazine made a typo.

Darn those typo's. I thought 10.9 seemed mighty specific. Either way, it's definitely on the high side of the loft range, but provides optimal launch conditions for a touring pro.

And I knew that an R-flex might be a bit soft for someone who hits a 140 yard pitching wedge, but based on the high handicap, I figured slowing things down and working on tempo and repeatable mechanics might be of some benefit. Having never seen the guy play, I don't know what that 140 yard pitching wedge looks like, or how consistent the ball flight is, or if he favors a fade or yanks it hard left. Just based on personal experience, I think that a big chunk of high handicappers use drivers that have a) too little loft and b) too stiff a flex in the shaft. I've got a hack friend that insists on a 7.5 degree driver because he thinks it helps in windy conditions. Needless to say, he can't hit the thing to save his life. What it boils down to is a fitting is everyone's recommendation, so then you'll have cold hard data as to what'll work best for your particular swing.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator
Just based on personal experience, I think that a big chunk of high handicappers use drivers that have a) too little loft and b) too stiff a flex in the shaft.

That I'll agree with, yeah. Dave's father Ed would probably best hit a driver with 12 to 13 degrees of loft, but good luck telling him that...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with the previous post.

One thing to consider is, if you are hitting a pitching wedge 140-150.. maybe you are trying to swing too hard. As a beginner, distance really isnt that important, your primary goal is accurance/consistancy. I suggest slowing things down a bit, and taking a lesson or two with the local golf instuctor. I have been playing quite a while now, and although I can hit a pw 150, in order to have consistant distance/accuracy control I must focus on a smooth swing. I think you will find even if you dont hit as far, you are better off slowing things down, keeping it in the fairway.... Good luck!! and welcome to the hardest game you will ever play..

Note: This thread is 6527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!