IGNORED

Alien Wedge

Note: This thread is 5502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings-

I'm new to golf, and I'm looking to add a sand wedge to my bag. My uncle has an Alien wedge, and loves it. I am just curious to hear what everybody else has to say about them.

If they aren't so hot, what sand wedge do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Craig

My grandfather has one. It's hilarious to see him hit it. It just flops straight up into the air and goes approximately 25 feet. The thing is he tries to hit it from 80 yards away. Than he starts swearing and throwing the club. It's a riot!

I, personally, have never hit the club, and I don't plan to. If you are looking for a new wedge, never turn your back on Vokeys. Amazing wedges.

I have hit that club before. It's a one trick pony but it is really easy to get the ball out of a bunker. I say if your a 30 handicapper and can put that club in the bag I say go for it. At that skill level there is so much to work on and just being able to get the ball out of a bunker in one shot is great. But sooner or later you do have to learn some proper sand technique and you will be looking for something more versatile like a Vokey or any number for quality wedges. But for now if it works for you then do it. Just my $.02

I got one for my wife when she started playing. It actually takes a little technique to use it and honestly, it's not really any harder to learn the technique necessary to use a sand wedge to "just get out". Beyond that, learning to actually play from the sand is necessary if you want to improve your overall level of play.

My personal recommendation is to avoid the alien, grab a bucket of balls and your sand wedge and head to the practice bunker. It's not all that hard.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the input, guys.

I guess I didn't realize the Alien was a "one trick pony," so I'll look into getting something more versatile.

Cheers

Craig

If you want a real wedge, mizuno mp-t or titleist vokeys are the way to go.

Sasquatch 460 10.5
X 3 wood
X 4H
X-22's 5-PW
X Forged 52, 58 Black Series #1 Tour i X Series stand bag

Definitely Vokeys, great wedges, come in varieties of loft/bounce combos...
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

Greetings-

Last year, when I took up golf again (and was playing at about a 30 hdcp), I bought one of them. I assume you are referring to the 60 degree mess of a club.

I liked it for getting out of the sand, as others have said. I had plenty of other things to worry about. That being said, I outgrew it really quickly. It was next to impossible to use for anything else, and this spring I bought a proper set of wedges and have seen my short game improve (through proper tools and doing some work learning how to do it). But not all Alien stuff is total crap. I have an Alien 8802-style putter that I don't hate at all.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

Note: This thread is 5502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!