IGNORED

Rain Gear

Note: This thread is 5658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I'm looking for some rain gear - simple, basic rain gear. Something to keep me warm (but not something bulky) and something to keep the rain off of me.

What do y'all recommend?

P.S. I'd like to get it for my trip to NC here in two weeks. I know Jay recommends some Sun Mountain stuff, but there are a few... can anyone link to specific stuff (on a store that sell it cheaply, preferably)?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking for some rain gear - simple, basic rain gear. Something to keep me warm (but not something bulky) and something to keep the rain off of me.

I hate playing in the rain, but I've got some great lightweight packable raingear from my moutaineering days which makes it much more bearable.

I think this is one area where you can really end up sinking a lot of money on poor products. Just because a jacket is lined with Gore-tex doesn't mean it's waterproof. Good brands will go to great lengths hot-taping seams, using high quality waterproof zippers, and enough fabric to allow for full articulation but not overwhelm your body. There's nothing worse than plunking down $150 and finding out on your first time using the suit that the main zipper leaks. That said, there's only one fabric I believe in, Gore-tex. Every brand out there has their own waterproof/breathable fabric, but none of them are as good or durable as Gore-tex. It comes in a wide variety of styles, the standard 2 layer, 3 layer which packs better, and the new XCR which is super packable and lightweight, but not as durable. I'd recommend a 3 layer suit from The North Face , Mountain Hardware , Arc'teryx , and L.L. Bean's jackets are good too. As far as staying warm, that's more a function of proper layering than buying an isulated/waterproof jacket. That way you can wear it during summer as well as winter. A wool sweater under a waterproof shell is the ticket when the weather turns nasty.

• 3 years later...
Which one did you go with? I know your post was back in febuary, but I did a search for raingear, and found your post.

CHeers!

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I have a Columbia jacket. With the zip in fleece liner it's a very warm jacket, and if I take the liner out it's still pretty comfortable. It's waterPROOF, which is a big jump up from water RESISTANT. I spent a night waiting in line for an Xbox 360 in a light drizzle and was as dry as a bone while others around me were miserable. Without the liner it's not too bulky to play golf in. Pants weren't as important to me, just enough material to keep me from getting soaked through.

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

Depends on how much you want to spend really, you just can't get better than Galvin Green but it is expensive, Benross do a really nice waterproof suit at a cheaper price, the quality is not dissimilar to that of "Galv" (Galvin Green)

Edit - I would link you too stores, but I'm unsure of American price ranges, and shops.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I'll echo that Jay - Galvin Green is the Scotty Cameron of rain-gear.

Best thing I ever bought in golf. More expensive than a Scotty. I got it on sale (and I knew the guy in the shop) so heavily discounted it was €199 for the trousers and €199 for the jacket (about $310 each).

Why spend SO much on rain-gear? Well it always rains here for a start. Last summer (yes, summer) it rained every day - 51 consecutive or something. So I got to use them all summer. And in winter, I always favour a pair of waterproofs over my trrousers to keep me warm even when it's not wet. I started my first job after college 2 years ago and I bought them with my first paycheque.

I reckon (in the last 2 years) I have worn/used them 150 times - and the Gore-Tex material has a 10 year warantee. If you take care of them and are serious about playing in all weather conditions - you could end up paying less than a dollar for every use - and you'll be a drier golfer

Oh and I used to wear the jacket to work on top of that - great in the summer to keep you dry in those showers!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Footjoy Dry Joys jacket and pants...they are pricey, but warm and worth it! I took them to Scotland in October and was fine with just the jacket in 50 degree weather.

I love the fact that we resurrected a 3 year old topic!

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

It always rains :(

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I personally love DryJoys by FootJoy. There is a reason that most of the pros wear this. I have the regular weight and the light weight rain gear. I get multiple uses a year and even goes to Ireland and Scotland with my old man when he travels.

You can't go wrong with FootJoy.

"You have to birdie the first hole to birdie em all" &
"You have to drink in the morning to drink all day"

I'll echo that Jay - Galvin Green is the Scotty Cameron of rain-gear.

I'm going to look at galvin green and foot joy. Thanks for everyones advice.

cheers!

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

It looks like tomorrow, as I'm going out on the course for only the 8 or 9th occasion, I'll be playing in the rain for the first time. I'm going to grab one of the below Nike Storm-Fit jackets from Dick's Sporting Goods. I searched for a thread on this ... but does any recommend anything else to bring (other than an umbrella) to make my round a little easier? **EDIT** I found a thread on playing in the rain.

It looks like tomorrow, as I'm going out on the course for only the 8 or 9th occasion, I'll be playing in the rain for the first time. I'm going to grab one of the below Nike Storm-Fit jackets from Dick's Sporting Goods. I searched for a thread on this ... but does any recommend anything else to bring (other than an umbrella) to make my round a little easier? **EDIT** I found a thread on playing in the rain.

make sure to give us your feedback

in my exterme sport bag :
Driver : SQ 460 9.5* Aldila NV65R
3 Wood: Ignite 15* graphite R shaft
2 Hybrid : 3DX DC 17*
3h-PW: Ignite with uniflex stock shaftWedges: Vokey 256.14 260.08Putters: Studio Style Newport 2 35", Red X-3 35" 350g, Solestamp Newport TeI3Balls: NXT Tour Shoes SP-8

make sure to give us your feedback

The Nike Storm-Fit shirt kept whatever it covered on me 100% dry in a steady rain. One little detail I liked about it over the Dryjoy short-sleevetop was the Nike's bottom hem was more open which makes for less restriction of movement. They both look good and fit well, imo. Also, and somewhat important, is that the Dryjoy top costs $100+ whereas the Nike Storm Fit top was $60.

I also must say that the "playing in rain" threads I dug up on playing in the read where very very useful in my round yesterday. Clubbing down, aiming for pins (really n/a at my level!), and other little tidbits came in handy. This site is invaluable in that regard.

The Nike Storm-Fit shirt kept whatever it covered on me 100% dry in a steady rain. One little detail I liked about it over the Dryjoy short-sleevetop was the Nike's bottom hem was more open which makes for less restriction of movement. They both look good and fit well, imo. Also, and somewhat important, is that the Dryjoy top costs $100+ whereas the Nike Storm Fit top was $60.

thanks alot, I was looking at it but wasn't sure wheter to get one or not

in my exterme sport bag :
Driver : SQ 460 9.5* Aldila NV65R
3 Wood: Ignite 15* graphite R shaft
2 Hybrid : 3DX DC 17*
3h-PW: Ignite with uniflex stock shaftWedges: Vokey 256.14 260.08Putters: Studio Style Newport 2 35", Red X-3 35" 350g, Solestamp Newport TeI3Balls: NXT Tour Shoes SP-8

Note: This thread is 5658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!