IGNORED

What sand wedge should I buy?

spogan
Note: This thread is 5368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the market for a new sand wedge. I couldn't get over the amount of them on my last visit to Golfsmythe. I'm an 18 handicap. I hardly take any divots on my short irons. I've been reading about bounce, etc... I aslo want to use it around the greens. Hope I'm making sense???

I'm in the market for a new sand wedge. I couldn't get over the amount of them on my last visit to Golfsmythe. I'm an 18 handicap. I hardly take any divots on my short irons. I've been reading about bounce, etc... I aslo want to use it around the greens. Hope I'm making sense???

Probably something like a 55* with 12* of bounce. In that ballpark. Here is a good article describing these things:

http://thesandtrap.com/bag_drop/wedg...why_it_matters

What degree of loft are you thinking about for your SW?

Aside from my PW, I carry two wedges: 54 degree with 8 bounce and a 60 degree with 4 bounce (I guess both could be considered SWs, but I tend to use my 54 as an AW from 110-120 yds into the flag). My 60 is pretty much my greenside bunker sand wedge. I’m not a big fan of big bounce (personal preference). I find that opening up the club face for greenside bunker shots adds just the right amount of bounce relative to the shot that I am going to make.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

The Cleveland CG14 wedges with zip grooves are the best I have played with. In my opinion, they are better than the Titleist Vokey wedges. Both are great clubs, but the Clevelands are heads and tails above the Titleists or anything else.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

www.scratchgolf.com

Check out the wedge fitting guide and see what grind they recommend. I currently have a 60* 8620 wedge with the SFU grind and custom stamping on order for $108 shipped. This includes a milled face/grooves, KBS Tour shaft, and my choice of grip!

The off-the-shelft offerings from Callaway, Cleveland, Mizuno, and Titleist are good, but I think Scratch is a good idea if you're looking for something a bit more custom.
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

I had read about Scratch wedges on here but never really considered them until I found a barely used 60 degree (literally looked new) in a used bin (JLM PDG model) and it's like butter. Great wedges.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!