IGNORED

Maxfli BlackMAX

iacas
Note: This thread is 6982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Some preliminary results from my testing of the Maxfli BlackMAX today on the launch monitor. I compared it to my current ball, the V1x, and hit 15 alternating shots with each ball and club after getting warmed up.

Driver
The BlackMAX delivers a bit less spin (getting it closer to my ideal launch conditions) and a ball velocity that was about 2-3 MPH higher, though that's within the margin of error. Distance estimates were +4 yards, on average.

7-Iron
The BlackMAX delivered more spin from my 7I than my V1x. I tend to hit the ball high as it is, and the BlackMAX was 3 yards shorter off my 7I than the V1x and launched a tad higher (about 1.5°). I tend to play courses with greens that hold a mid- to short-iron fairly well, which is why I play the V1x instead of the V1.

I wasn't able to perform shorter shots. Kiran and I will be doing real-world testing this week to help determine the spin generated on half wedges, pitches, and chips. We'll post another article on the site later this week.

In both full swing tests, the BlackMAX and the V1x felt very similar. The BlackMAX may have felt a little softer off the driver (with no actual loss in performance, just feel), but I couldn't tell the difference at all off of the 7I. Both feel about the same when putting as well, with a variety of putters (some with inserts, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just got back from the course using Maxfli's Black Max. I chose to play at Training Station today because I knew the fairways would not provide much roll due to heavy rains Sunday night. The course is also loaded with short par 3's that would be good to test spin rates.

I played it against ProV1X, and Bridgestone B330 my current ball of choice. For fun, I brought two drivers in my bag, my usual low spin R510, and a high spin R540 XD to see how club spin rate would affect the balls. I played the first nine with the R510 and the second nine with the 540. For short game I used my old Vokeys to check ball durability.

The course was relatively empty, so off the first tee with the R510, I played three tee shots with each ball. There was a pretty gusty wind 10-15 mph in my face. I did my best to repeat my swing at 80%. The distance results were very close, all in a line with the Bridgestone having the greatest distance, followed by the Black Max, and then the Pro V1X. Trajectory wise, the Bridgestone was the flattest followed by the V1X, and the Black Max was a bit higher than I like. I went ahead and played the rest of the hole with the Black Max and wasn't disappointed at all.

The next hole was a 120 yard par-3 again into the teeth of the wind. I played an easy 1/2 pitching wedge little back in my stance. I pushed the V1X way right so chalk that up to "operator error." The B330 flew on a nice flat trajectory, hit in the back of the green and spun back pin high. The Black Max hit at almost the same place and ran back down to the front of the green on a higher trajectory. No hard numbers to support my theory, but it seemed like the Black Max had much more spin on the approach.

It should be noted that this was my first time playing the Black Max, and I am VERY comfortable controlling spin/distances with the B330 since I've been playing that for a while now. Given more time, I'm sure I'd be able to do the same with the Black Max.

I have some more stories and pictures I will try and post on a review for the TST.com coming up later this week.

You do get more spin when you are going straight into the wind.

BlackMax. So a year or two ago the buzz name for balls had to have a V or an X in it.

Now "black" is the buzzword.

I'll have to try that ball. Sounds cool. I really hate the X though as it feels like a top flite to me. I prefer the regular V1. I do lose 10-30 yards of the driver compared to a callaway black but I always seem to shoot my best rounds with the V1. The Cally black is awesome off the driver. Blows away a V1. Has enough spin but not too much. Sometimes I spin back a V1 a little too much.

Note: This thread is 6982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!