IGNORED

Keeping the lower body "quiet"

Caddyshack
Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a little confused about this concept. Coudl someone clear this up for me?

Your weight shift should happen naturally,both feet planted.When you take the club back down the line with a proper turn.I always brace my right leg and feel

the weight on the inside off my right foot,feels like right leg is kicked in and i start the downswing with my right knee.Its hard to explain,i have a nice tempo where i generate a lot of power because my timing is good.At the range i usually only hit pitching wedge and 7 iron.My 7 iron is a 175-80yrd club and i feel like i barely swing at it.Tempo is key and understanding how to take the club back is key.One time i use to fire the right hip for the downswing which is bad as it throws everything out the ways. Hope this makes a little bit of sense.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

• 4 years later...

I recently became a believer in a quiet lower body on the backswing. I found in a golf mag, where a young teacher said that at the top of the swing, the hands should be far from the left knee, So, I no longer move the left knee to the right on the backswing (or not nearly as much as I used to) which makes for a quiet lower body.  Great extension and tons of coil and tension in the waist, back, legs.  Its not a drill, I just make practice swings and hit balls with the intention of getting the hands and left knee far apart.  The instruction was counter intuitive to me, but of all stuff I've read and tried, this was the most effective in gaining distance. (I'm not a very good golfer, 16 index and I wish I could remember the name of the instructor or the magazine and its month, but I think it was sometime in 2014 and most likely Golf Digest or Golf Mag.)

If your lower body is swaying, it's is mainly because you are moving your ankles. Check it out in a mirror. Curl your toes inside your shoes and try to sway. You can't or not very much. Try that. Plus it's easy to keep you toes curled without thinking about it. You can think of "other" swing thoughts. :)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I am playing good, I notice my lower body is quiet on the backswing.

The quieter it is, more stability, balance, and coiling occurs.

Hence, the secret to my 115 mph, 275 yd drives, with 60% to 90% fairway hit % per round average.

That said, it is very hard to keep it quiet, especially when your legs are tired.

That said, here is what I do:

1. stretching!  calfs, thighs, hamstrings, before and during a round!

2. look at your knees before your swing.  you will become more aware of it and will consciously keep it controlled.

3. strengthening exercises! (not during your playing days)

a. squats (as many as you can)

b. backswings without a club (ensure your lower body is quiet)

c. backswings with a stretch band (ensure your lower body is quiet)

d. for b & c above, use a mirror or video tape yourself (i bet it is moving more than you think!)

If you are lower body is still too active, it is then a physical limitation that cannot be overcome with just simple stretching or strengthening exercises.  However, I doubt you will be able to drive more than 260 yds, since coiling is harder to achieve with active legs.  It is possible, but lot harder to do and also maintain a good fairway hit %.

Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!