IGNORED

Who is Better - Scott or Sergio?

supercow
Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who is Better - Scott or Sergio?

• Adam Scott
    • Sergio Garcia
    • Too close to call...

Scott is quite a bit better than El Whino, he just needs to learn to close tournaments a little better. I can think of several times that Scott could've easily won this past season but he just ended up making silly little mistakes that would cost him.

The silliest mistake was the Memorial. How could he let K.J. Choi shoot 54 (or whatever it was) in the last round.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Sergio is probably the best ball striker in the world (except for Tiger of course), but the Golf Gods have not favored him . . . YET, however we all know how fickle fate can be and it can turn at any time. Sergio could be #2 through his 30's. He's already had a lot of tough lessons, when he finds the right gear he will rise close to the top.

His putting is now decent now that he's gone with a midlength belly putter model.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Adam, by far.

Sergio is great > until he gets on the green.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

• 2 weeks later...
I'll go with Scott for one reason- He isn't his own worst enemy.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

I think Sergio is the better player.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Scott has a more text book golf swing and seemingly flawless concentration when he is on. I would have to vote for Sergio though on natural ability, haven't seen that kind of lag since Snead or Hogan - just a matter of controlling it, too much lag will spray the ball left or right. And yes, a head check would help. Sergio will win more tournaments if he applies himself.

Sergio loses focus too often. His anger and frustration take him away from what is needed to consistently contend. He can swing with the best of them but he needs to accept bad breaks and stop taking bad luck personally.

I really think if he did this he would get to world #2, possibly #1 (even if only for a short while...until Eldrick wanted it back).

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

In pure ball striking Sergio is second to none. I think it is doing when under pressure and whether he could find a putter that works. I wonder what happend to that Scotty he had 1999/2000.
Adam Scott has a better temperment but i wonder whether he could do it when the pressure is on. Today he came from out the blue and won the tournment in Qatar.
What i'd like to see is one of them winning wire to wire in a big competition - players etc. Sergio almost did it at the Open can he actually go the whole way?

If it werent for Sergios lack of putting ability, he would have already won a major by now. If he can get that under control, then I think Sergio will be out in front of Scott, even though Adam is more consistant overall
WHATS IN THE BAG?

Calloway 460cc Big Birtha driver
Nike NDS irons
Cleveland 54 degree wedgePing lob wedgeRIFE Martinique Island Series putter

Sergio (a) is a crybaby, (b) is a choker when it counts, (c) nees to grow up

Titleist Hybrid Stand Bag White & Lime Green
- TM Tour Burner 9.5 Degree, Aldila Proto by You
- TM R5 Ti 3 Wood
- TM Burner Hybrid #3,#4,#5
- Titleist AP2 6-PW, Project X 5.5 Shafts- Titleist Vokey 50 degree Black Nickel- Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Satin 54 and 58 Degree- Titleist Scotty...

If it werent for Sergios lack of putting ability, he would have already won a major by now. If he can get that under control, then I think Sergio will be out in front of Scott, even though Adam is more consistant overall

I think you are right - Sergio cannot putt at the Major level. I remember Tom Watson Saying (paraphrasing) "great putters are born but anyone can turn himself into a good putter". That was in Golf Digest or something like it. I think it's too late for Sergio on the 'born' thing and good doesn't cut it.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Scott - huge talent, wonderful swing lack of application. He was asked in Qatar (he won with a closing 61). "What is your favourite club?" Answer "Golf or Night?"

Garcia - huge talent, great shotmaker, lack of confidence.

If Garcia won a major it may help him, if Scotty won a major - what a party!!

Tour Superquad
Burner TP 3 wood
Adams 5 wood
Adams Hybrid
TM MB Vokey Wedges (from Vokey) Scotty Cameron Tour Putter

• Administrator
I think you are right - Sergio cannot putt at the Major level. I remember Tom Watson Saying (paraphrasing) "great putters are born but anyone can turn himself into a good putter". That was in Golf Digest or something like it.

You seem to be forgetting that:

a) Sergio putts great in the Ryder Cup b) Sergio's first few years on Tour saw him as a top-ten putter Please stop adding unnecessary coloring to your posts. Why waste the time? It just makes it more difficult for people who want to respond to your posts and have to cut out [color] tags and crap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scott of course...even if the sergio wins one he is still a spoiled brat...the emotional development of an average 13 year old.........GIRL.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Scott - huge talent, wonderful swing lack of application. He was asked in Qatar (he won with a closing 61). "What is your favourite club?" Answer "Golf or Night?"

That's funny! I didn't actually realize that he had a sense of humor. Scott often comes off more wooden the persimmon. I'll be here all night folks!

I can agree with the assesment of Scott, Sometimes I just wonder if he would rather be doing something else, that being said I think Sergio has more heart that alot of golfers of late, To constantly be in contention and lose and get himself back up and going takes tremendous will and courage, I salute his gumption.

G2 8.5:
3 wood
4 wood
7 wood
attack 9 wood, CG 2 IronsCG 12 Wedges, Putter

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!