IGNORED

Pain in Right Ribs - Torn Intercostal Muscle?

Ash1974

Sounds like you were extremely lucky man. Glad to hear you're back on the course, especially since I am as well! This Saturday is my first full size course round since April.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by robrey85

Sounds like you were extremely lucky man. Glad to hear you're back on the course, especially since I am as well! This Saturday is my first full size course round since April.

Fantastic, much good golf to you in the future; I am now pain free after being back a week--and I am very careful now when near a tree and

roots.

Haha, I feel ya. I used to spend 2-3 minutes warming up and stretching and now I spend at leat 7-10 minutes warming up and stretching. I DO NOT want to go through that again, that's for DAMN sure!

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

When I first read the titile I thought the OP might be a lefty, I either tore or strained muscles along my rib cage a few months ago and was down for about 10 days. About 10 years ago I tore them for sure cause I couldn't breathe and I actually heard them tear loose when I swung that 6 iron (yes I remember what club and what hole). Now I try and get in a jacuzzi before and after every round and do stretching and it helps me a lot I think.

I had pain in my left side from hitting balls at the range a few weeks ago, golfing right-handed. In the meantime I switched sides, now I play lefty. It's still a little sore, but doesn't bother me from this side. If I try to swing from the right side it's  a different story though. So try to pick up a club or two for your other hand and give it a try; even if you don't permanently switch sides, it gives an interesting perspective and you're still hitting balls.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had pain in my back, near the shoulder blade for about 6 weeks now. An acquaintance immediately diagnosed it as a rib out of place. He is a physical therapist. So, I proceeded to treat it that way. I went out of town for a week and it started to feel better, but I thought it slipped out of place a bit so I went back to the chiro. Now it feels like it did the very first week! So, my search for answers continued and I finally came across stress fracture and am 90% sure that is what is wrong. Just wanted to make others aware of this condition that is becoming more known, but not many docs seem to be aware of it. I can't wait to feel better and golf again!

Originally Posted by kayozzy

I have had pain in my back, near the shoulder blade for about 6 weeks now. An acquaintance immediately diagnosed it as a rib out of place. He is a physical therapist. So, I proceeded to treat it that way. I went out of town for a week and it started to feel better, but I thought it slipped out of place a bit so I went back to the chiro. Now it feels like it did the very first week! So, my search for answers continued and I finally came across stress fracture and am 90% sure that is what is wrong. Just wanted to make others aware of this condition that is becoming more known, but not many docs seem to be aware of it. I can't wait to feel better and golf again!

Bummer man, I know the feeling of searching for answers and not finding jack. Took me forever before I figured out what the problem might be. Hell, I'm still not 100% and it's been probably 18-20 weeks, something like that. Hope you feel better soon.

HELP! Can people please post what treatments worked best for them?

I have a sharp pain in my ribs, toward the right side of my body.  It hurts when I move and sneeze/cough.  Pain was dull and noticeable for a couple weeks and on Monday I went to the driving range and had to stop swinging after about 30 balls/swings because the pain was so intense.

I tried kinesio tape, which made the area feel more supported, but did little to alleviate the pain.  Last night I slept with two icy hot patches on, and that seems to have made a slight difference in the pain.

Has anyone had any luck with certain treatments?  It is killing me that I can't pick up a golf club.

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

HELP! Can people please post what treatments worked best for them?   I have a sharp pain in my ribs, toward the right side of my body.  It hurts when I move and sneeze/cough.  Pain was dull and noticeable for a couple weeks and on Monday I went to the driving range and had to stop swinging after about 30 balls/swings because the pain was so intense.   I tried kinesio tape, which made the area feel more supported, but did little to alleviate the pain.  Last night I slept with two icy hot patches on, and that seems to have made a slight difference in the pain.   Has anyone had any luck with certain treatments?  It is killing me that I can't pick up a golf club.

I guess were not the only ones in pain. I hurt my shoulder so, I needed to switch to righty for a bit. I would go see a doctor, if the pain is sharp it is a tear. If the pain is dull, but throbs it is probably cramping. Either way, it would not hurt to see a doctor. I tore my shoulder tendon months ago. It finally healed, and now I have severe cramping and spasms in my hurt shoulder. Vitamins and light trenching have helped. I take magnesium and zinc with B6 to help my muscles relax at night. This seems to be helping, as I have just started using my left side again.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Auto-correction doesn't work that well. Light stretching, not light trenching. Made quite a few mistakes on this forum due to my IPad thinking on its own. :-\

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Odogesq

HELP! Can people please post what treatments worked best for them?

I have a sharp pain in my ribs, toward the right side of my body.  It hurts when I move and sneeze/cough.  Pain was dull and noticeable for a couple weeks and on Monday I went to the driving range and had to stop swinging after about 30 balls/swings because the pain was so intense.

I tried kinesio tape, which made the area feel more supported, but did little to alleviate the pain.  Last night I slept with two icy hot patches on, and that seems to have made a slight difference in the pain.

Has anyone had any luck with certain treatments?  It is killing me that I can't pick up a golf club.

First, avoid doing anything. Just rest. Next, Icing will help with the inflamation but it will make you stiff. I'd say it's a good give and take. I'd also get a long ace bandage and wrap it around you so it limits the expansion of your ribs. Don't put any heat on it. I would definitely go to the doctor and ask them for 800MG Ibuprofen. I tried 7.5MG Lortabs and those were junk compared to the Ibuprofen.

Whenever you go to bed, perch yourself up like you're sleeping on a Lazyboy chair. It helps a TON. What also helped me go to sleep is taking 10MG of Cyclobenzaprine (Flexoril) before bed time so you might want to ask for some of those too. It relaxes the muscles and makes you drowsy. THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT, when you get out of bed, DO NOT make the sit up motion. Turn over on your left side, put your right arm down on the bed across your chest, kick your legs out and push yourself up sideways out of bed. It helps incase of a rib subluxation (dislocated rib). Do that everytime you have to get out of anything that resembles lying down.

The one treatment that made a huge difference is when the chiropractor reset my ribs (I had 3 lowers on my backside out of place) but that was a long time after my muscle strain was fairly healed. (10 weeks)

That's pretty much what I did for 18 weeks and even to this day I still feel it but it's not intense nor does it affect my golfing ability. Good luck man, it's going to take time so just remember to be patient.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, I will put your advice to work immediately. 18 weeks? I can't even begin to express how bummed I am that I may have to put down the clubs for anywhere near that long. I spoke to the local golf pro who suggested I visit a chiropractor because he had the same problem and had good results with a chiro. Apparently a chiro can put things back in place with some stretches. I will update this week.

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

Originally Posted by Odogesq

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, I will put your advice to work immediately. 18 weeks? I can't even begin to express how bummed I am that I may have to put down the clubs for anywhere near that long. I spoke to the local golf pro who suggested I visit a chiropractor because he had the same problem and had good results with a chiro. Apparently a chiro can put things back in place with some stretches. I will update this week.

You're welcome. I would practice putting a lot if I could do it all over again. (Not that I would want to, haha) I regret not doing that while being down for so long. Take care.

So, I couldn't completely lay off the clubs this weekend.  Went out to a great little executive course, and shot my best round yet.  I shot a 39 on a par 33, despite the injury.  It took a lot not to head out and play a full 18 holes.

Anyway, I was feeling around my ribs this weekend and noticed that my rib cage on my right side (where the injury is located) is markedly different from my left side.  Specifically, it feels like my ribs are more sunken in than on my left side.  I suppose I could have dislocated a rib, though that seems highly unlikely from Golf.  I thought those injuries were associated with contact sports.  This makes me very worried.  A simply muscle pull/tear is one thing, but rib bones out of line?  That is scary.  I am making a chiro appointment tomorrow.

In My Bag:

• 2 weeks later...

All right, another update for those who may be going through the same pain.  After going to the Dr. the diagnosis is a pull/tear of the serratus anterior.  After applying heat/ice treatments, and with the use of OTC pain relievers/anti inflammatory, the pain is totally mangeable and actually improving every day (despite driving range time and golfing).  I apply ice after I play/driving range for 20 min. at a time (20 min. on/20 min. off), usually for a couple hours or so, and during the day I apply a heat pack and take 2-4 OTC Ibuprofen gel tabs, which help the pain and inflammation.

In My Bag:

• 4 weeks later...

I joined this site just so I could comment on this thread because this has been an injury I've had and believe me, it sucks. Here are some things I did that helped a lot and can hopefully help someone else.

Here are the items I used:

1. Rib compression strap. They don't cost very much and it helped a whole lot. It helps restrict the expansion of your ribs. You can get these off of ebay or amazon. It's basically a large velcro belt used for ribs injuries.

2. Portable flexible freeze pack and a hot pack.

3. Salonpas pain relief patches

4. Tylenol or Ibuprofen.. your choice

I used the compression strap along with the hot and cold packs to hold them in place while resting at home, alternating hot and cold. I used the salonpas pain relief patches with the compression belt while playing a round. It keeps the area warm and the belt helps restrict the muscles from over extending.

On a typical day of golf:

Pop some tylenol and wear the compression belt with a hot pack on the drive to the course so that the area will be nice and warm, then switch out the hot pack for a salonpas patch underneath the compression belt while playing a round. After my round, I apply the cold pack under the compression belt to get out front of any swelling. This seems to keep the pain in check and promote healing at the same time. It's not a miracle cure, as there was some discomfort while playing but not enough to make it miserable. The pain gradually goes away and eventually you can return to normal. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

After 1 year+ I still got the intercostal muscle pain. I play 2 or 3 times a week and everytime I hit a bad shot with a bad finish swing I feel that little pain that I live with. If I press the chest I still feel the pain too. That's what the doctor said to me: there will be no cure if you don't stop playing for a long time. The fibrosis is too big and not elastic and everytime you force that muscles it will cause pain because they lost their elasticity in that area.

I decided not to stop that hobby, it gives me life, you know what I'm talking about.

What I can recommend to those that injured themselves, I you feel any pain don't play, put away the clubs for a long period, and don't go play with the pain there, you'll never be healed if you do that. when you start again go with slow swings and see if the pain is there. at the little sign of pain stop! you're not healed yet.

As many say here ice feels good, hot towels or gel packs, massage etc all was good to ease my pain, but the secret is to stop and rest if the pain is there.

• 4 weeks later...

i first picked up a golf club approximately 7 months ago.. after 2 months, I had this in my LEFT side. I could not swing a club, i could barely even go to work, so had to quit golf completely.  just dealt with it.. it took at least about 2 months to heal, I think..

been fine since then, and for the last couple months, i've been really practicing alot.. like at least 100 balls a day, 5 days a week, occasionally 300 balls in a day.. NO PROBLEMS..  I do stretches beforehand, but apparently not enough.

Until last week.. I was really "trying" to rip some iron shots on the range.. and i felt a twinge.. RIGHT SIDE this time..  I immediately recognized what I had done...  (i got angry at myself, "NOT THIS AGAIN!")

been off for a week, doing ibuprofen and actually just laying in bed after work each day pretty much.. same symptoms.. any sudden movement, rolling over in bed,  breathing (not too bad), sneezing (owww)

On the other hand, my left side is fine! so there's that.. I'm hoping maybe after right side heals I'll be all stronger and whatnot and wont get hurt anymore..

really sucks to get bit with golf bug late in life (i'm 37), and start out by hurting myself twice in 7 months. :( :(