IGNORED

Shortened driver shaft, add weight to head?

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had the shaft of my driver cut down today from 45.5" to 44". I went out & played a round today & noticed a definite improvement in my accuracy (a big reduction in my left to right movement). I play to the fade & its still there, but the slices were not (so far). I could not get an accurate reading on what this change did to my distance, there was a very strong wind today and I played on a course for the first time. I'm okay with a little distance loss (would rather not but can live with it if it means more fairways), but the feel of the club was noticeably different. It does not feel near as "solid" as the club did before. It is noticeably lighter now (I wouldn't have thought that trimming 1.5" would have made that much difference), so I'm going to start experimenting with adding weight to the head. I'm going to get some lead tape & gradually work the weight until I get that "solid" feeling again combined with the ball results that I want. Now my question: where do you add the weight to the club? Do you put it on the back of the head, top of the head...? I assume that you can also favor certain sides to promote how the club face closes, true?

A little background info, the shaft is 65g and stiff flex & my swing speed is (was with the 45.5" shaft) between 105 -110. (I'm also kind of wondering if the shaft is now too light, but really don't want to change it until I learn some more about shafts and clubs & also still trying to figure out my swing).

Thanks for any help & sorry for the long post

Adding weight to the head lowers the balance point, making more difficult the swing/control. Plus you might see a loss in club head speed. Add 20 or 30 grams to the grip end, you will instantly feel more in control of the golf club. The next step after that is to use internal shaft weights, these will gain you 15-20 yrds and hitting more fairways. The process is called optimizing.

Thanks for the response. I did a little quick research on what you suggested but didn't turn up much. Found a couple of systems (tour loc I think), but do you have any suggestions as the best way to go about this? I will also ask my local golf shop about this

Thanks

I knew it. I had some heavier grips on some of my irons (long story) and those feel sooo much better and are so much easier to control.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!