IGNORED

Right (Back) Knee Flex in Backswing

iacas
Note: This thread is 5259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What does the back knee (right for a righty) do in the backswing?

• Maintains the same flex.
    • Straighten (not "lock out").

Originally Posted by WUTiger As part of my swing rebuild, I noticed that I had been straightening the right knee too much, which was linked to: * Overswinging -- > occasional loss of balance --> hitting from top OR chopping down on ball rather than swinging down and through.

Response by iacas: I would venture to guess that unless you were turning your hips a good bit more than 45°, the hips likely weren't the cause of your overswinging.

I think we're in agreement here. The cause of my overswing was reaching too high, which often triggered a right-hand loop or something else exciting. The overstraightening (probably locking out) of the knee was a result of reaching too high.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
buwahahaha chez revie just said that straightening the right leg was the "kiss of death" to any good swing.

And what's Chez done lately?

Tiger straightens the leg. Hogan did. Snead did. Nicklaus and Palmer did. Phil does. Virtually everyone who plays well does. But that Chez, undoubtedly he's got the true secret. And "straightening" is a loaded word. He probably meant to make it entirely straight, not "to lessen the angle" or "to make straighter than address."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

nope, if you see his episode on "playing lessons with the pros" he tells the Dimondbacks 3rd baseman to stop extending the right leg in the backswing, and to try and maintain as much right knee flexion as possible. because it's ruining the accurate hip turn angle, or so he says.

frankly I was astounded by quite a bit of his advice so to each his own.

I just shook my head honestly.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I maintain knee flex. For me, a strait leg seems to rush my hip turn and get my timing off.

1. This is an impact photo and the right leg should always be flexed to some extent at impact.

2. Even without seeing your swing I can tell you that your right leg does straighten...may not feel like it does...but it does straighten some (though likely not enough). You think it is the leg straightening that causes you problems while it is actually something else. Just give this consideration and it may open your mind to find the "other" thing. Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

nope, if you see his episode on "playing lessons with the pros" he tells the Dimondbacks 3rd baseman to stop extending the right leg in the backswing, and to try and maintain as much right knee flexion as possible. because it's ruining the accurate hip turn angle, or so he says.

I, too, am astounded by some of the information I hear. That said...these touring pros and teachers are not purposely trying to lead people astray...they simply do not understand the pieces correctly. In their minds they are helping with something because that is what they were told or that is what it "feels like" to them.

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

1. This is an impact photo and the right leg should always be flexed to some extent at impact.

It does eventually straiten out in my follow through.

But if my leg is strait at impact, it means I'm too quick with my hip turn which leads to the strait leg and hence my timing is off. I had a video analysis of multiple swings and the issues were consistent. So, ya. It's actually another issue, but the leg is the tool to use if I'm in the grove or to fast.

• Administrator
It does eventually straiten out in my follow through. But if my leg is strait at impact, it means I'm too quick with my hip turn which leads to the strait leg and hence my timing is off.

I think you're missing Dave's point. He said it should be flexed at impact and that on the backswing it should straighten (not go perfectly straight - just lessen the bend).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

the straightening of the right leg occurs to allow the hips to turn easier from the sound and feel of it and once turned fully at the top of the backswing, the leg reflexes before the downswing, but it is at a little different angle, the knee a little more forward leaning than at address, mostly because a lot of the weight is on the left foot during the downswing. at least that's what it felt like paying attention to this. it is not something i really can focus on during my swing but ya know kind of an interesting thing to look at. but i would also imagine it is possible to play good golf with not straightening the leg but i'm not an expert on the subject, just some guy trying to figure out the game as much as i can.

was that a real dog?

To get the shoulders to work correctly, the back leg must lose some, if not most, of its flex in the backswing. By maintaining the flex in that back knee you greatly inhibit your body's ability to wind correctly. Maintaining the flex most often leads to a shoulder plane that is too flat/around, an upper body motion that gets too lateral and hips that shift toward the target in the backswing.
Take a look at Tom Watson and Sam Snead - try to picture them swinging with a flexed back leg......
Andrew Rice
www.andrewricegolf.com
www.itsallaboutimpact.com

I think you're missing Dave's point. He said it should be flexed at impact and that on the backswing it should straighten (not go perfectly straight - just lessen the bend).

Yup, I totally missed the boat. Backswing, not contact.......

Yes, my leg has less flex during my back swing. So I voted incorrectly too.

Would you guys all agree that there is a difference in what happens vs. what you should try to have happen?

I would figure that since most of us are not ballet dancers and are not that flexible, our right legs will most definitely lose its flex, however I believe that if you are able to maintain the same flex, you should. If you look at some of Anthony Kim's swing videos, you will notice that he barely loses flex, if any and if you watch it in full speed, it looks like his right leg stays in the same position from address to top of backswing.

I voted that the right leg maintains its flex because if I had the flexibility to maintain that flex, I would...

Also, I think there is a difference between whether it happens because your body needs it to happen vs. it happens because it gives you a better swing. I do not believe that straightening out the right leg is necessary to being a solid ball striker and the reason why many players do it is because they aren't flexible enough to maintain it.

edit: (if anyone disagrees, please explain as I am curious whether my thoughts are correct)
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

• Administrator
I would figure that since most of us are not ballet dancers and are not that flexible, our right legs will

No, you should not. Anthony Kim's knee doesn't lose much flex, but it loses some, and look at how little his hips turn back. He's a flexible guy... but your hips cannot work properly if your knee maintains the _same_ flex. Even Anthony's knee straightens a little bit - which complements his very small amount of hip turn.

Note: This thread is 5259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!