IGNORED

Rules Quiz

Xt1ncT
Note: This thread is 6455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Following on from Erik's little poser........

Question 1 - A ball lies on a practice putting green. The ball must be played as it lies.
True or False??

Question 2 - A player may remove a half eaten apple lying next to his ball in a bunker without penalty
True or False??

Question 3 - In match play, a player who is doubtful of his rights or procedure may, without penalty, play a second ball
True or False??

Question 4 - A hole made by a dog is an abnormal ground condition
True or False??

Question 5 - Grass covered ground bordering or within a bunker is not part of the bunker
True or False??

Question 6 - A stroke play competition has a handicap allowance of ¾ in place. Player A records his handicap on his scorecard as 11 when it is in fact 10. Player A is disqualified.
True or False??

Question 7 - Player A arrives at the first tee at 13:00 hrs, his start time being 12:57 hrs. He is penalised two strokes.
True or False??

Question 8 - If a player’s ball at rest is moved by an outside agency the player shall incur a one stroke penalty and the ball shall be replaced
True or False??

Question 9 - The Committee may not make a Local Rule prohibiting play from ground under repair
True or False??

Question 10 - A player may play a ball as it lies when it lies on a putting green other than that of the hole being played
True or False??
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
Question 1 - A ball lies on a practice putting green. The ball must be played as it lies.

False. Rule 25, along with the definition of "putting green":

A “wrong putting green” is any putting green other than that of the hole being played. Unless otherwise prescribed by the Committee, this term includes a practice putting green or pitching green on the course.
Question 2 - A player may remove a half eaten apple lying next to his ball in a bunker without penalty

Loose impediments in hazards may not be removed. That it's half-eaten doesn't matter.

Question 3 - In match play, a player who is doubtful of his rights or procedure may, without penalty, play a second ball

False. See rule 2-5.

Question 4 - A hole made by a dog is an abnormal ground condition

Dogs don't make "runways" and they're not a burrowing animal. Bad luck.

Question 5 - Grass covered ground bordering or within a bunker is not part of the bunker

This is a weird question. Grass often "borders" a bunker (it defines the edge)... and grass sometimes grows in a bunker. Bunkers extend vertically downward, too, so long grass can sometimes overhang the edge of a bunker, too. Vague question needs clarification for definitive answer.

Question 6 - A stroke play competition has a handicap allowance of ¾ in place. Player A records his handicap on his scorecard as 11 when it is in fact 10. Player A is disqualified.

DQ. Rule 6-2.

Question 7 - Player A arrives at the first tee at 13:00 hrs, his start time being 12:57 hrs. He is penalised two strokes.

If the Committee so decides. The time limit is five minutes. He may be DQed, though - the option is the Committee's. Rule 6-3.

Question 8 - If a player’s ball at rest is moved by an outside agency the player shall incur a one stroke penalty and the ball shall be replaced

False. Why is this question included? An outside agent can't penalize a guy...

Question 9 - The Committee may not make a Local Rule prohibiting play from ground under repair

False. There are a lot of circumstances when this makes sense, particularly when there's a dangerous situation (like a bunch of nails or something in a work area, or chemicals, or... whatever). Penalty is loss of hole or two strokes. Appendix A.

Question 10 - A player may play a ball as it lies when it lies on a putting green other than that of the hole being played

False. He must take relief.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

False. Rule 25, along with the definition of "putting green":

6 out of 10

or 6 out of 9 if you take into account the one you didn't answer - question 5. For clarification the grass growing in the bunker seems to mean if there is sort of a donut shaped bunker....is the grass mound that forms the hole in the middle part of the bunker? Or take the pot bunkers at Hoylake, are the riveted faces part of the bunker?
In the bag:
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
6 out of 10

Well, I've looked each up (and quoted the appropriate rule in most instances). So, until you can inform us differently, I'm claiming 9 of 9.

As to donut-shaped bunkers, it's in the definition of "bunker:" Grass-covered ground bordering or within a bunker, including a stacked turf face (whether grass-covered or earthen), is not part of the bunker. A wall or lip of the bunker not covered with grass is part of the bunker. The margin of a bunker extends vertically downwards, but not upwards. A ball is in a bunker when it lies in or any part of it touches the bunker.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, I've looked each up (and quoted the appropriate rule in most instances). So, until you can inform us differently, I'm claiming 9 of 9.

I'm going by what the R&A; posted when I did this online. So I'll give you 7 out of 10....

Number 9 is definately wrong. The Committee and introduce a local rule prohibiting play from GUR. See Definition of Ground Under Repair Note 2 "The Committee may make a Local Rule prohibiting play from GUR or environmentally sensitive area defined as GUR. Ahh I see you edited your answer to 9 while I was replying...... OK, number 6 is wrong. The rule 6.2 states that if he records a higher handicap and that effects the number of strokes received then he is DQ'd. However, the question clearly says the handicap allowance is 3/4, and marking 11 would give him 8 shots under the 3/4 allowance as would 10, so he wouldn't be dq'd. The other one wrong according to the R&A; is 7, although having read the rule I'm struggling to see how they think he isn't penalised 2 shots. In that case I'll give you 8 out of 10.
In the bag:

• Administrator
I'm going by what the R&A; posted when I did this online.

And I am using USGA rules.

Number 9 is definately wrong.

No, I typed "true" when I meant to type "false" because I misread the question to say they CAN make the rule, not can NOT. The sentences after that first word of my answer on #9 show what I was thinking - I mention situations where they may forbid play and I mention appendix A, where this ruling can be found.

Ahh I see you edited your answer while I was replying......

I changed the word "upward" to "downward" in the bunker question. Brain fart on my part. That was the only change.

So, again, 9/9 and then 10/10 when I quoted the definition of "bunker." You gave me 6 and misread the rest of the answer on #9, so... what two others do you still think I've gotten wrong that I've actually gotten right?

so... what two others do you still think I've gotten wrong that I've actually gotten right?

Question 6 is wrong. Rule 6.2

In the bag:

• Administrator
Question 6 is wrong. Rule 6.2

I believe you're wrong.

b. Stroke Play In any round of a handicap competition, the competitor must ensure that his handicap is recorded on his score card before it is returned to the Committee. If no handicap is recorded on his score card before it is returned (Rule 6-6b), or if the recorded handicap is higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes received, he is disqualified from the handicap competition; otherwise, the score stands. Note: It is the player’s responsibility to know the holes at which handicap strokes are to be given or received. You did not specify whether the recorded handicap (which was 11, higher than the 10 he was allowed) "affected" the number of strokes he received, but I assumed it did since you didn't specify one way or the other. Clearly he's DQed. He claimed a higher handicap than that to which he was entitled.

I believe you're wrong.

Question 6 - A stroke play competition has a handicap allowance of ¾ in place. Player A records his handicap on his scorecard as 11 when it is in fact 10. Player A is disqualified. True or False??

Here is the question with the relevant part in bold. His handicap is actually 10, so he get's 7.5 shots, which is rounded up to 8. He entered his handicap as 11 and so would get 8.25 shots rounded down to 8. So although he claimed a handicap of 11 it didn't affect the number of strokes received so there is no DQ or any other penalty.

In the bag:

• Administrator
Here is the question with the relevant part in bold. His handicap is actually 10, so he get's 7.5 shots, which is rounded up to 8. He entered his handicap as 11 and so would get 8.25 shots rounded down to 8. So although he claimed a handicap of 11 it didn't affect the number of strokes received so there is no DQ or any other penalty.

My answer merely exposes yet another vague portion of the question. I thought the 11 and 10 were after the 1/4 reduction had already been taken (thus possibly introducing a math error). It's a poorly phrased question, especially since we don't know how many shots the guy actually took (and thus whether it "affected his score").

Regardless, he claimed a handicap higher than he had. In this case, if he had written 10, I think a claim could be made that since it was higher than the 8 he actually gets that he would still be DQed. And you're still missing two others.

Regardless, he claimed a handicap higher than he had. In this case, if he had written 10, I think a claim could be made that since it was higher than the 8 he actually gets that he would still be DQed.

The question is simple, he wrote his handicap as 11, not strokes received which are 2 different things.

So he wouldn't be DQ'd, as it didn't affect how many strokes he received. I feel like I'm going over and over the same point, just because you didn't understand the question doesn't make you right.
In the bag:

• Administrator
The question is simple, he wrote his handicap as 11, not strokes received which are 2 different things.

Cards here don't have a space for "handicap" - people write down the handicap strokes they get. Also, "here" we make sure to differentiate between "handicap" and "handicap index." The question was vague, and the penalty for claiming a higher handicap than is correct is quite clear in the rules.

So he wouldn't be DQ'd, as it didn't affect how many strokes he received.

Some competitions round, some lop off decimals. I just played in a tournament where I was a 4.7 and it was dropped to 4, so he could have received 7 or 8.

But that's all beside the point, and that point is that the question was vague.
I feel like I'm going over and over the same point, just because you didn't understand the question doesn't make you right.

I feel like I've asked you what the other two I supposedly missed are and you've failed to supply an answer, and since this thread is going nowhere, it's going to be closed.

Note: This thread is 6455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!