IGNORED

Do you get to parallel?

Note: This thread is 6413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always gone somewhere between 3/4 and parallel and not "bothered" to employ the additional wrist cock/shoulder turn necessary to get to parallel. I'm probably sacrificing some yardage but I still drive it around 275. Anytime I try to go parallel I end up hitting a terrible slice, I think my hands just aren't fast enough to release in time from that position.

I think the shorter swing has served me well inside 150yds. (less margin for error) or so but I am always curious as to what kind of additional yardage I could gain off the tee if I put some time into figuring out how to make it work.

I am just not flexible enough to turn that far. I turn close to 90 degrees but that doesn't get me much past 3/4. My wrists are not very flexible so that also limits my ablility to get to parallel.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I've always gone somewhere between 3/4 and parallel and not "bothered" to employ the additional wrist cock/shoulder turn necessary to get to parallel. I'm probably sacrificing some yardage but I still drive it around 275. Anytime I try to go parallel I end up hitting a terrible slice, I think my hands just aren't fast enough to release in time from that position.

i havent really looked at the top of my backswing in a while, but im pretty sure i get to parallel with my driver and 3 and 5 woods. i like to stop at 7/8's with my irons.. (halfway between 3/4 and parallel.. i think?) whenever i try to get parallel with my irons i either hit it really thin or i'll hit a horribly weak fade.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I am always curious as to what kind of additional yardage I could gain off the tee if I put some time into figuring out how to make it work.

Just keep it in play and you will be much better off. It makes no difference if you are hitting a 6 or a 7 iron in to the green but it makes a difference where you are hitting it from.

I get driver and 3 wood to just short of parallel and irons are a bit shorter again. I tend to hit it pretty straight (with a driver I am solid enough to decide which side of the fairway I want to be on and can get it there most of the time) and am long enough. Like you I'd like to hit it a bit further, who wouldn't. Getting it to parallel does get it out there longer for me (I just make a bigger turn, I'm still flexible enough despite being a fat bastard) but I miss more fairways.

• 3 weeks later...
having a compact swing is way better as long as u get 90 degree shoulder turn .. it dusnt matter if u get to parallel or not.

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

Note: This thread is 6413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!