IGNORED

At what point is new equipment worth it?

Madriver
Note: This thread is 6450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When is the investment in new technology worth it? I mean I'm the guy who believes it's the swing not the equipment. I still play a set of registerd Staff Blades that includes a 1 Iron. I still play a relatively low tech small headed Taylor Made driver and a Bulls Eye putter. I've hit the different high tech clubs and drivers but don't see that much more consistancy or distance to invest $1,500 clams in. BTW, since Titelest quit making the DT, I have seen a problem with ball selection with regards to the old blades. Anyway, any other Old Skewl diehards out there?

P.S - when I could play on a regular basis I had it down to strong 10 hcp

personally i think new equipment is worth the investment when you're ready to move to a new set of irons, driver, or whatever it may be. i still play a fairly old driver, 3 and 5 woods. if you're comfortable with your clubs and your game i wouldnt go out and get new equipment just cus of the hype. if it doesnt help your game, its not worth it.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

When is the investment in new technology worth it? I mean I'm the guy who believes it's the swing not the equipment. I still play a set of registerd Staff Blades that includes a 1 Iron. I still play a relatively low tech small headed Taylor Made driver and a Bulls Eye putter.

Immediatly, in my opinion. A new driver, and a set of more forgiving, yet performance enhanced irons is a boost to any game, especially if you are not playing enough to keep grooved in on those pea sized sweet spots. If we are talking about wanting to improve your game, and you are gonna make a commitment to it, the answer is simple. THE NEW TECHNOLOGY IS WORTH THE MONEY. If Sam Snead were magically 30 years old today, and could hit his old clubs or the new technology, I'm positive he would choose today's weapons even though he almost never missed the dead middle of his clubface. There is a real advantage to the technology over OLD blades and woods. I am no way saying someone needs to upgrade every year, although I might if money meant nothing to me.....

personally i think new equipment is worth the investment when you're ready to move to a new set of irons, driver, or whatever it may be. if it doesnt help your game, its not worth it.

How profound.

In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I believe that good properly fitted equipment does make a huge difference but not as much as lessons and practice. I reckon that if your average player spent MORE money on lessons with a PGA teaching pro than he/she did on equipment and they committed to practicing exactly what they were being taught then they would improve a lot quicker and get more out of the time they spend on golf.

For example spending $500 on lessons each year and time at the range instead of spending a similar amount on a new driver each season will give much better long term results.

As for at what point does the equipment REALLY begin to be worth it? I think that point is best decided by the PGA teaching pro you are getting your lessons from.

If your clubs don't fit you and a new set will then it's worth the money to buy new. If you have a set that works for you and your scoring well then a new set may not be an advantage.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

wood

Depends what golf shop and talk show you are talking about.

In The Bag
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

wood

Wha? Huh? I live in the DC Metro Area. Is this a Pro n Hackers reference?

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I am interested in the new Taylor Made draw driver. I may be by to see you But the Staffs...well...you'll have to pry them from my cold dead finders before I part with them.

I am interested in the new Taylor Made draw driver. I may be by to see you

I'm guessing you have the wrong guy, as I'm further down in VA from DC. Buy a new driver, and test out some new irons. Don't commit or think about buying the irons, but test some out. You'll love the forgiveness.

In The Bag
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW

Note: This thread is 6450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!