IGNORED

Choosing irons

Exodus
Note: This thread is 6442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, I am having a hard time choosing an iron set. I haven't played for a while and am just becoming very interested in the sport again. Honestly, I am not that good right now. I'm am going back to graduate school so I have plenty of time to play and hit at the range. What I am having a hard time deciding is if buying a set of musclebacks would be bad for me. I know that you need to strike these almost perfectly since these are so unforgiving but I think that this would eventually help my swing since it forces me to hit the ball cleanly. Am I crazy and should I just stick with some cavity backs? The couple sets that I am currently looking at are Titleist 735, titleist 755, TaylorMade r7 cgb, TaylorMade MB TP or Nike Forged Blades. Are there any clubs I should look at that aren't on the list? Any input would be great. I have tested a few of the clubs and some of them have felt fairly similar, when I hit it squarely that is. So please, post away and thanks in advance!

Hello everyone, I am having a hard time choosing an iron set. I haven't played for a while and am just becoming very interested in the sport again. Honestly, I am not that good right now. I'm am going back to graduate school so I have plenty of time to play and hit at the range. What I am having a hard time deciding is if buying a set of musclebacks would be bad for me. I know that you need to strike these almost perfectly since these are so unforgiving but I think that this would eventually help my swing since it forces me to hit the ball cleanly. Am I crazy and should I just stick with some cavity backs? The couple sets that I am currently looking at are Titleist 735, titleist 755, TaylorMade r7 cgb, TaylorMade MB TP or Nike Forged Blades. Are there any clubs I should look at that aren't on the list? Any input would be great. I have tested a few of the clubs and some of them have felt fairly similar, when I hit it squarely that is. So please, post away and thanks in advance!

In the end it really relates spefically to how everything looks and feels to you. If it looks right and feels good at address, you're instinctively going to hit it well. The clubs you have listed are all pretty different, the only two I can see feeling similar would be the MB TP and the Nike Blade. So the questions back to you are:

1)Which one looked the best to you 2)Which one did you hit the most consistently 3)Are 1 & 2 the same? 4)Have you considered any other brands? Cleveland, Ping, Callaway, and Mizuno all make quality products.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

I think you should really consider a cavity back club. I know so many buddies of mine that have had the same notion about picking blades to improve the game. Honestly, you would be better off finding a more forgiving club and working on your game back up then you would hitting a blade. A blade iron (unless you're a low to mid handicapper) will force you to hit the ball better, but it will also kill you on a course if you don't hit it somewhat good. I always love my golf game to be an enjoyable one. For that reason, I think the cavity back is the club of choice. Enjoy getting back into the game!

Jonathan Wall

In the Bag (Left Handed):
Driver: Callaway Fusion Tour FT-3, Aldila NVS 75X (Stiff)
3-wood: Titleist 975F 13.5°, UST Proforce 75X (Stiff)Irons (3-PW): Titleist 731PM, True Temper S300 (Stiff)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Raw Milled Steel, 52.08, 56.08, 60.06, Rifle 6.0 Shafts (Stiff)Pu...

Thanks for all the imput. I am leaning more towards the Titleist 755's. From the reviews that I've read they are fairly forgiving and they look pretty good. I'll try to get to the proshop tomorrow or so to see if they have them there to test. has anyone heard or hit with these clubs? I guess if I were to choose by looks I would pick the MB TP or the Nike Blades, of course those are the ones with the smallest sweet spots. I've been out of the loop for a while so if anyone has any suggestions on what irons to take a look at that would be very helpful.

...I guess if I were to choose by looks I would pick the MB TP or the Nike Blades...

I'd not put these two together in the same category.. there is a slight difference between the TM MB's and pure blades that Nike represents. Trust me - my swing is not good enough to play Nike's or Titleist blades, but I'm very comfortable with the TP MB's...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you should really consider a cavity back club. I know so many buddies of mine that have had the same notion about picking blades to improve the game. Honestly, you would be better off finding a more forgiving club and working on your game back up then you would hitting a blade. A blade iron (unless you're a low to mid handicapper) will force you to hit the ball better, but it will also kill you on a course if you don't hit it somewhat good. I always love my golf game to be an enjoyable one. For that reason, I think the cavity back is the club of choice. Enjoy getting back into the game!

I question that thinking. I think a lot of folks overrate cavity backs and think they are a must to the modern day player. The guts of a club is the shaft. Try a blade with a correct shaft for your swing and it will not be so hard to hit. Problem with off the rack blades is that they come with heavy stiffXXX players shafts and most people cannot hit them. They feel like slate in the blade and would in any other head for the average swinger. The marginal increase in sweet spot in a CB, to me is not worth the lost of feel and feedback I get from a blade.

• Administrator
I question that thinking. I think a lot of folks overrate cavity backs and think they are a must to the modern day player. The guts of a club is the shaft. Try a blade with a correct shaft for your swing and it will not be so hard to hit. Problem with off the rack blades is that they come with heavy stiffXXX players shafts and most people cannot hit them. They feel like slate in the blade and would in any other head for the average swinger. The marginal increase in sweet spot in a CB, to me is not worth the lost of feel and feedback I get from a blade.

Huh?

I agree that the shaft is important, but most off-the-rack blades come with R or S flex shafts. XX? No... And again, the sweet spot is the size of a pin-head on ANY club (technically). The zone of "acceptable performance" may be larger or smaller depending on club design, but you're really looking at things like MOI and where the weight is positioned when you talk about that. And in irons, I think the shaft is a bit less important. Get the length and lie right, get the right weight, and get the flex right. We don't see the variety in iron shafts that we see in driver shafts for a few reasons (simple economics being one of 'em).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!