IGNORED

My Swing (ninjadriver)

ninjadriver
Note: This thread is 5069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

I managed to take a rather poor quality video of my swing at the range last week. I'm scoring in the mid-80's these days, but generally my misses are a hook or a push.

I tried to think about tempo for this practice, but sometimes it gets a bit quick on the course. I hit the driver 250-270 on average. These swings are a fitted (green dot Ping i10) 7-iron and (G10) driver.

I'd be grateful for any comments.

Thanks very much
Pete

In my Ogio Ozone bag:

Driver: Ping G10 7.5° ProLaunch Red S shaft
Fairway woods: Wilson Pro Staff #3 & Ping #5 ProLaunch Red S shaft
Driving iron:Cleveland LDI 21°Irons: Ping Green dot i10 5-PW Z-Z65 shaftsWedges: Titleist Vokeys 52° & 56°, Ping 54° & 58°Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG...

Your back swing seems very short on your 7 iron. That's about the swing I would use for a 3/4 shot. I'm not much good at analyzing anything else.
The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

Had heard about the multistory driving ranges in Japan, but this is the first tape I've seen of one. What does a bucket of balls cost there? What are green fees for playing on a course? And are there still female caddies?

You are a tall guy, long legs and big feet, basketball player type. Upright swing. All of which are fine. Golf coaches in Japan are probably not used to a big guy with a vertical swing (they are used to 5'4" Ian Woosnam types with flat swings), which may be why you posted here.

On the 7 iron swing, you did not take much of a hip turn. On the driver, especially that shot midway through, you had a good hip turn. It may be that you need to standardize your swing more between different clubs. Use about the same hip coil for the full swing with all clubs. I think you keep the hips quiet because you are so big you get a lot of power with minimal coil, while us shorter guys have to coil the hips and turn the shoulders to hit the ball any distance at all.

On that nice looking driver swing, it seemed to me that the shaft of your driver was out of line with your arm, at address and takeaway. Take a look. IMO, your left arm and club shaft SHOULD form a straight line at address and through the one piece takeaway, and that straight line only breaks when the wrist cock begins in the backswing. Could this lead to errant shots? Maybe.

Are your arms straight at address? Relaxed is fine, arms should be relaxed, but not bent at the elbow. Kinda looks like yours are bent just a bit.

An observation about stance. You don't seem to bend your knees much at address. I am only average height, but bend my knees much more. Just the opposite of what one would expect. Why? The reason is that in my swing, my arms hang down vertically, and there is more of an angle between arms and club shaft at address as seen from the side. You stand more upright, knees are bent less, arms are more out in front, and the club shaft makes a shallower angle with your arms as seen from the side. Is this a problem? Don't know. Less of an angle of club and arms is said to be more of a power position though I don't agree; seems to me that with a sharper angle between club shaft and arms there is more power from rotation of the wrists through the ball. I do think one gets more power from the legs and feet when knees are bent more. Anybody got any input on this?

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Note: This thread is 5069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!