IGNORED

family tournament rules help

iamnamja
Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Our family is planning on doing a small “for fun” tournament this weekend. We have a very wide range of players.. from someone who hits mid 80’s to someone who basically has a hard time counting (we’re going out this week to get their average scores).

What would be the best way to do the scoring so that everyone has an equal chance of winning?

One idea that I’ve come up with is to have everybody provide their average score, and use that as a basis to determine their final score. Meaning, if someone who hits 100 on average hits 95, and someone who hits 85 hits 86, than the one who hit 95 wins as that person hit 5 below their average score. Would this make sense?

We want something that’s as “fair” as possible so that everybody has an equal chance of winning. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I'd use the handicap system. For those that have one either official or one they keep on website like oob or golfhound or some other free place. I'd use that for them.
Those that don't, I'd play a round with them and provide them with your best judgement on a handicap.
Then play away, and let the bogey's fly =)

Hit'em Long and Strong
Big Tazz

Here's a cut and paste response I made to a thread a while back about the Callaway scoring system. If you're looking for a scoring system where you don't need handicaps, you have golfers of varying skill levels, and you want everyone to have a chance at winning, this is the system for you. Warning: it does require the person in charge to do some math. Here's the link to an explanation:

http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/l/blcallawaysys.htm

I've not only played in, but I've "run" tournaments with Callaway scoring. Granted, it was only a family golf outing tournament, with players ranging from age 10 to 80, but that is precisely the type of group the Callaway system is designed for. If you have a bunch of golfers who are varying ability levels and don't have handicaps, the Callaway is perfect for just the reason you stated. Everyone always ends up in the 70s, no matter if you shoot 68 or 118.

The key to Callaway is to have a card full of 3s and 7s as opposed to 4s and 5s. Aside from that (or just going into the 60s gross), there's really no correct way to play a Callaway tournament. And I'm pretty sure there's usually a triple-bogey or double-par cap, so you can't just run up a 15 on some hole. So in all, my advice would be to shoot at pins all day and be aggressive. Enjoy.

In my Titleist stand bag:
Ping G5 10.5* Adila NV S
Titleist F2 15.5* VooDoo FW-S
TaylorMade Burner Rescue Hybrid '07 19* 65-S
Mizuno MP52 4-5 irons, Project X 5.5, 1* upright (4i bent to 23*)Mizuno MP57 6-PW, Project X 5.5, 1* uprightMaltby GW 53*; Titleist Vokey SW 58-12; Cougar LW 64*Zebra...

I was just looking over this, and it looks very promising! Thanks!!

Just one quick question... so the numbering format and the rules are based on that day's score? So, a person who normally scores 80, scores 100 their deduction is based on their 100 score?

You can just eyeball your handicaps since it's not a serious event, etc.

The best player plays as scratch and gets no strokes. Use the other players average scores to figure out how many they should be getting a side (or just take their word on what they usually score) based on the difference between their averages and the best players average. No need to get too technical since it's all in good fun.

Or disregard strokes all together and make it a shamble if you have enough players (either 2, 3, or 4 man teams). Each player hits from the tee, the team chooses the best one, and everyone plays their own ball in from that point forward. The best score in the group is taken as the team score. You can make this pretty fair without strokes as long as you can classify each player into broad "Good", "Average", and "Bad" categories and make sure that the teams are balanced between skill levels.

I was just looking over this, and it looks very promising! Thanks!!

Yes, everything is based on that day's score, so Uncle Johnny can walk in off the street with no handicap or anything, and his score that day determines his "handicap", so to speak. What you normally shoot means nothing. This is what makes this format perfect for a family group, where not everyone has a handicap, and that way people aren't trying to guess at their "normal" score. The Callaway system will level the playing field on its own.

In my Titleist stand bag:
Ping G5 10.5* Adila NV S
Titleist F2 15.5* VooDoo FW-S
TaylorMade Burner Rescue Hybrid '07 19* 65-S
Mizuno MP52 4-5 irons, Project X 5.5, 1* upright (4i bent to 23*)Mizuno MP57 6-PW, Project X 5.5, 1* uprightMaltby GW 53*; Titleist Vokey SW 58-12; Cougar LW 64*Zebra...

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!