IGNORED

My Swing (Magicboy)

magicboy
Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently made a thread on ballooning drives so I think best way of telling why is if a I post my swings.

I could use some pointers on creating a more consistent and powerful swing. I realise my head drops is this a problem, thanks.

You flip, check out the attached image.

Shaft leaning backwards = adding loft

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Check out iacas' blog, he has a post there about the "flying wedge".

- Joel

thanks, I'm looking at the post just now. Is there the same problem with the driver swing as well.

It would be almost unheard of for someone to flip with their irons and not do it just as bad, or worse with their driver.

I can't get your YouTube video to stop right at impact with the driver swing, but like I said, it would be almost unheard of for it not to be the case if you do it with the irons, I'd bet the farm you do with your driver as well.

- Joel

Thanks, I'm heading down the course just now I'll see how I get on with those drills. Is flipping the reason that my driver is ballooning.

I wish I could hit the course this morning.

And yes, it is the reason, not necessarily the whole reason though. Don't worry about the other stuff right now though, you need to get that flip under control, a forward leaning shaft at impact is the key to solid golf.

- Joel

I tried holding off wrists for longer and it feels a bit awkward at first is this right because its a swing change or am I doing something wrong.

IMO, the "trick" is to understand the role that the muscles in the forearms/wrists have in the swing. It's like swinging an axe or sledgehammer (if you've ever done that). You don't try to manipulate the axe/sledgehammer with your wrists (unless you want to injure yourself). You use your legs, back, and shoulders to elevate the axe/sledgehammer, and use your arms/wrists to maintain their position UNTIL the axe/sledgehammer begins to "swing itself" due to momentum/gravity (at which time the arms/wrists can relax and "enjoy the ride"). In a golf swing, you don't lock your wrists through the entire swing, but maintain position until the momentum of the club takes over -- at which point (somewhere in the downswing), they can begin to relax and allow the club to swing itself.

Yes, it will feel different at first. Most people's instinct is to throw the clubhead at the ball with the arms. Might not look like it on TV, but in reality, the pros are primarily utilizing their legs and core with the arms being quite passive.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Your head moves down and forward on the down swing.
Most good ball strikers, the head remains in the same relative position from the top of the back swing or might move a little back.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I think I mean it as the last question this time but when trying to hold lag, my arms tense up and grip tighter how do you hold lag with soft hands also what kind of distances is required to become a good golfer and low handicap(i.e how far PW and things) thanks for the video.

you have a very long swing.

You get a load of shoulder turn, but do you need all of it? A lot of the better golfers I play with only bring the club back 3/4 of the way and really rip through the ball. I'm trying to shorten my swing right now, I bring it just before parallel but i want to shorten it a little more. It's better to be a few yards shorter and accurate than being all over the place.
I think I mean it as the last question this time but when trying to hold lag, my arms tense up and grip tighter how do you hold lag with soft hands also what kind of distances is required to become a good golfer and low handicap(i.e how far PW and things) thanks for the video.

I shot 15 over par hitting a hybrid off the tee a few days ago in a competition, I would've been 12 over par if I didn't take out the driver and lose one ball and end up behind a tree with the other.

Distance doesn't matter as long as you're accurate.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Thanks for the help so any distance is enough to get by in golf then. I always thought you were meant to make full shoulder turn and bring club to parallel, so I would benefit from shortening swing. Would that increase consistency and things. Only been playing golf for a year so I'm kinda new.

My advice would be to turn your shoulders as much as you can without shifting off the ball(away from it), you do shift off the ball a bit right now. That should keep your swing a bit shorter.

Going to parallel isn't necessary, despite what some say.

Check out Tiger back in the Butch day's, when he was at his best, club is short of parallel.

- Joel

Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!