IGNORED

Game Improvement = Bad Habits?

ColinMB
Note: This thread is 6408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think maybe the majority of people on this forum are... pretty good golfers. From what I see by 'WITB' posts, I'd say my bag is the most 'game improvement' oriented than anyone else's here.

I started this post because of my 'CG4 experience'. It looks like I'll be trading/selling them and going back to a heavier game improvement iron. But what I came to realize is that unless you are a confident swinger, and have time to really practice a lot, I think you're just making life harder for yourself by hitting player type irons. For those of you that already have a 'groove' and a great score, my hat's off to you.

As I said in my earlier post, I've been golfing for 2-3 seasons. Sure I golf a LOT and go the range a lot, but our seasons are only 4-5 months long here. I think I put myself through a bit of hell there just because I didn't want to be using 'noob' clubs anymore. But at the end of the day, it's obvious I'm probably the type of guy they made these for, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Maybe in 5 years I'll be looking at 'shaping' my shot instead of looking for straight and distance. (I was so frustrated with my 'new' clubs I almost pitched them in the river on the way home.. it was probably pretty comical for anyone watching me 'work' on my game that day.)

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

Maybe in 5 years I'll be looking at 'shaping' my shot instead of looking for straight and distance. (I was so frustrated with my 'new' clubs I almost pitched them in the river on the way home.. it was probably pretty comical for anyone watching me 'work' on my game that day.)

The main thing, with any equipment is finding clubs that you are comfortable with. If you're happier and shoot better scores with game-improvement irons then, by all means, play them! Enjoying the game is the most important goal and if a certain club helps you do that then play them.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Along this note, I'm thinking of replacing my hybrid with a 2-iron. I don't hit the hybrid as well as I thought (i.e. I think I'd have better control with a 2-iron). My main concern is hitting out of the rough, where a hybrid seems to have the advantages... or does it? I'll have to test out my 3-iron vs. the hybrid out of the rough myself, but does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about replacing a hybrid with a 2-iron. I do hit my 3-iron about 205 and I'm not super consistent, but mainly it's because I don't practice this club enough. I think this parallels this thread somewhat because practicing with a 2-iron may improve my swing. Although, I notice many of the pros are carrying a hybrid instead of a 2-iron so it may be that the hybrid has more advantages even for those who already have a perfect swing.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

Taking out the blades for the winter and put some Mariman players CBs in the bag to fight the tight winter lies. They are definitely easier to hit but I still like the blades for almost every player because of the feedback and great feeling a solid hit gives.

It may be your just swinging harder with the new clubs and expecting a major change in your game. Use YOUR regular swing and see how things work out.
Can't compare the feel and distance to August weather to the weather in October in your area. take a couple of your old clubs with you and try comparing them with the new irons for distance and you may get a big surprize.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 6408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!