IGNORED

Top spin on drives

Note: This thread is 2377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

But I thought I heard that the driver was an upswing club as opposed to anything else. Maybe I was misinformed, but it's weird because I can hit the 3 and 5w no problem!

I have heard the same thing and assumed it was correct too - have we been misinformed?

TaylorMade R9 9.5° | Cleveland Launcher 15° | Cleveland Halo 19° 2-iron | Bridgestone J33 4-PW | Pelz 50°-56°-60° | Odyssey Marxman Blade | Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I have heard the same thing and assumed it was correct too - have we been misinformed?

LPGA players hit up (slightly) with their drives.

PGA players hit down (very slightly). I think it's to do with how much power your able to get into the ball. If you're hitting it less than 250 yards, a little bit of an upswing might help you get more distance. Longer hitters might benefit from levelling off their swing a bit if they already upswing.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I hit the ball slightly on the upswing with my driver. As long as the loft of the club is greater than the upward club head motion you wont get a top spin.

I might have been wrong with what I said before about not getting the club released. Especially if you have a low lofted driver like an 8° I think you can still put top spin on it even if you get the club released. Sometimes its hard to tell whats really going on when your swinging 100%. Try swinging at 50% and get an impact position thats similar to your setup. For you just try to hit down on the ball and keep your hands slightly in front of the club head. If you swing slow it should be pretty easy to feel and see whats going on. If you can get your swing tapped somehow with a head on view that will tell you everything.

The only way your going to put top spin on a ball is if the club head is moving upward at a severe angle at impact. So do whatever you need to do in order to reverse that. Just try not to plow your club head into the ground at 120mph!!!
  • Like 1

FT-9 I-Mix 9° Driver w/ Fubuki Stiff shaft
X 5 Wood
X 3 Hybrid
FP II Irons 4-GW
54° and 60° C-Grind Wedges Karsten Zing Putter Tour I ball

• 1 year later...

ohhhh man i know exactly what you're talking about i have the same problem i get WICKED topspin on my driver even if i tee it up or open the club i have no idea how i manage topspin but its frustrating at hell i can't even hit the fairway because the ball lifts on impact and dips into the thick grass and if im lucky rolls onto the fairway. tell me you found an answer for this problem

• Like 1

You HAVE to have negative effective loft to hit topspin off the face.

If you hit a 9 degree driver with 10 degrees of forward shaft lean relative to the path I guess you could do it.

So if you swing 5* up with a clubshaft 5* forward of vertical that would start the ball a bit up and spin it back down hard right away.

That's at least mechanically possible. I'm not sure if it's anatomically possible.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by broomhandle

You HAVE to have negative effective loft to hit topspin off the face.

If you hit a 9 degree driver with 10 degrees of forward shaft lean relative to the path I guess you could do it.

So if you swing 5* up with a clubshaft 5* forward of vertical that would start the ball a bit up and spin it back down hard right away.

That's at least mechanically possible. I'm not sure if it's anatomically possible.

Let's be clear here... the angle of attack simply has to be greater than the dynamic loft. Negative effective loft is measured relative to vertical.

You said the right things except the first sentence.

To the OP: are the balls curving or just ducking straight down? Are you hitting the center of the face or topping them?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm certain my logic is correct.

If there is a quasi-official terminology I probably got it wrong.

Loft at impact relative to ground = ?

Loft at impact relative to clubhead path = ??

The former determines launch angle.

The latter determines spin.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by broomhandle

I'm certain my logic is correct.

If there is a quasi-official terminology I probably got it wrong.

Loft at impact relative to ground = ?

Loft at impact relative to clubhead path = ??

Yes, the terminology is what was wrong; I'm just cautioning the use of the proper terminology. Dynamic or "effective" loft is unlikely to be negative - someone would have to have the shaft leaning 10° more of a 9° lofted driver to get "negative loft."

Originally Posted by broomhandle

The former determines launch angle.

The latter determines spin.

Yes, along with the vertical gear effect for the latter, the clubhead path for the former (10-15%), and so on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm such a nerd I did the trig. To apply topspin with a 9* 45" driver the hands/butt of club needs to be about 8 inches ahead of the face. 8 inches ahead of the line between the left shoulder and clubface to be more precise.

To launch the ball upward at all you need to get the clubhead coming up 3 degrees or more WITHOUT losing that relatively huge backward angle between the left arm and clubshaft.

Seems borderline possible for me to do if I set out to do it on purpose. Hard to imagine doing it from an intention to hit a normal shot.

• 1 year later...
I am certain all of you guys and gals are better, more experienced, and play a better game than I ever have or ever will. That being said, let me explain. I putt very well. I pitch very well. My irons, 5 thru 9, are very good. In fact I am told my short game is excellent for an old guy. Here is the rub I can't get past. Whether I use a driver, FW wood, or my 3-4 irons, I can't get them to go further than 180-190 yards. They are straight, but I can't get any distance. My swing speed is @ 88-92. The clubs I hit well, as noted above are like scud missiles, very high, hit the green and for the most part, stick. My driver through 4 iron are all limited to 180-190 without exception. A guy I asked to watch my ball flight from the side at the driving range told me that all of these clubs I do not get Any significant distance with fly the exact same. For the first 150-175 yards ther are. Limping and look find. Then, at that point, all of the balls act if they hit a net and dive to the ground. Maybe you are right in stating one cannot put top spin on a driver? My drives go straight, look to be shots that will net a goog end result, but all die at or before the 180-190 yard spot. What pray tell am I doing? Remember, it never happens on my short or mid irons, they fly high, go straight, and stick. Doc

This is the one thing I don't understand. How is it illegal to film your golf swing? I get that you think you're hitting it solid (unlikely), but how is it supposed to be illegal for you to take a video of your swing and upload it on to the internet for others to try and help improve your swing?

But back onto the topic, a duck hook will often appear to be fine for the first while but then dive down and left (for a right handed player, it dives right for a lefty). If this is the case, you probably have either an extreme in-to-out swingpath relative to your face angle. This means that while the face may be square (causing the ball to start mostly on path as the clubface is the largest factor is determining where the ball starts), your clubhead itself may be traveling at an angle of 10* away from you. This would cause a duck hook that might behave as you described.

• 1 year later...

One of my playing partners has this trouble. His swing is very flat yet he slices the ball. His drives dive just like a forehand tennis shot. I don't ever try to give anyone advice so I've never said anything, but it's driving him crazy. I'm going to refer him here because there seems to be some good answers.

• 2 years later...

I have the exact same issue happening from time to time. Anyone on the thread can see my swing video here:

Not sure if it’s top spin or an in to out path. I thought it was the path, but seems I’ve stopped the in to put and still getting the nose dive drives ?

Note: This thread is 2377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!