IGNORED

Titleist 735.cm for a addicted golf newbie?

Note:Β This thread is 6345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hello all,

After cracking my head thru every internet page, forum, review, post that mentioned the Titleist 735.cm clubs, I've decided to register in this great forum and ask for your help directly.

I've started playing golf about 1 and 1/2 year ago, by the age of 30, and became truly addicted to the game (how difficult and original is that?). Currently with a 24 handicap, with a 19 as better result in a friendly match, and with a regularly inspired short game.

I started with a set of Taylor Made RAC LT, Graphite shafts Regular, which these days I don’t find as "the ones" for me, not because of the brand which I've grown to dislike as much as callaway, but mainly because of the shafts. They're too soft for my swing speed and too light, as I prefer a heavier club that helps me in the transition between the back and downswing, and improves my swing tempo. (I know this because I have a 762DCI 6iron, S300, that I usually use on the range).

I've never liked 'improvement' equipment in any sport that I have ever played. I believe once you start to know what you're doing and are truly working to get better, and once your muscles are more used to the strain involved in the movement, you should upgrade to something that gives you a good feedback, while maintaining some playability.

So now that I'm ready to buy a brand new set of clubs, the problems begin, and mainly for two reasons.
I know what you all would say if this was a question from a regular player living in the U.S, UK...: Try them! Get fitted!
But as you can see by my alias I'm left handed, and to make it worse I live in Portugal! :)

So I have very little chances of trying any left handed clubs, more the ones I am considering:
The Titleist 735.CM and the Mizuno MP60;
(Actually I was today at the GolfShop swinging a right-handed 735.CM 6 iron demo, just to get a look and feel at it :/ )

By now I'm very tempted in ordering a set of the 735.CM in Regular steel shafts. Titleist brand inspires me, and that you have to admit that that it is a part of the game.

Regular steel shafts because my swing speed is not that fast, 75-85mph with a 5 iron, I don't uncock my hands late in the backswing, and I prefer in developing a nice tempo instead of firing in the downswing.
The Stiff shaft from DCI 6i that I own feels a bit too rigid for my taste and is a slightly off centre hit a bit hard on the hands and my back. I think I'm better off with a regular shaft to keep fit for the 18holes (tough the internet fitting from truetemper and ping tell me that I'm in the line between stiff and regular)

So what upsets me is: are the 735.CM dangerous for my willing to develop. Is there a risk in a major loss in the ability to play in the following months until I get used to them? are they that difficult? (only for a less than 10-12 hcp)

I'm not interested in getting asap a lower handicap, and I'm not interested in beating the guy that strikes the ball awfully but has a 20 handicap and wins the weekend tournament with a crappy swing, I'm interested in developing a good technical basis so from there I can improve correctly.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

JJ

Driver: Titleist 983k 10.5ΒΊ
3&5 wood: Mizuno F50
Irons: 735.CM ????? :) (depending on your thoughts)
Wedges: Taylor Made RAC TP 52ΒΊ; Titleist Vokey Black Niquel 56ΒΊ & 60ΒΊ
Putter: Ping G5 Anser

Not knowing what your 23 handicap is composed of (meaning the weakest part of your game,) I can only comment on my personal experience. When I was at the milestone that you are currently at, I was playing Titleist 981 irons w/ regular shafts (the oversized DCI gold) and playing bogey golf. I had just switched from Callaways because of the lack of feel (every shot went up high and straight,) and sometimes I thought that I had hit a GREAT shot only to see it come up 30 yards short. So after about a year with my 981s, I started drawing the ball (all the time) and sometimes draws would turn into hooks. But instead of taking a lesson, I thought that an equipment change to blades (thinking that the less offset) would straighten my ball out. Single digit handicaps play blades, and so I had to play blades too because that was where I wanted to be. I figured that with hard work I’d be able to hit anything, I’m young, I’m fit, I’m the bomb so bring it on.

When I finally got my MP-33s and I was like β€œits time to become a single.” All I want to remember from the first day at the range is nothing. I never felt so embarrassed at the range as I did that day. Every shot either dribbled or had a mad crazy captain hook, and don’t forget the stingers. I think that I only managed like 5 decent shots out of a bucket, and that might be a little generous too. Oh I forgot to mention, that I had hit some MP-33s out of the demo bin a couple of different days at the range before deciding on purchasing a set. All of those test shots were nice and high with a slight fade tail fade (my DREAM ball flight).

So fast forwarding 5 years later I’m at a 10 handicap due to my go for broke attitude and not being able to put it all together at the same time (drivng/putting/approach shots). Although my ball striking and iron play are the strongest part of my game, because I struggled with blades I’ve seen some parts of the golf course that weren’t intended to be seen. I ended up learning how to hit different shots (i.e. low cut shots, flying every iron over or under trees) which I believe makes you a stronger player. I still miss left, but the difference is I can make the ball fade now too (because I understand my swing a little better now). I’m still not a single, but that’s because I don’t count home courses.

So back to your topic, No I don’t think that you should get those 735 at a 25 handicap unless you want to be back in the hundreds again. I think that the game is hard enough as is, and anything that we can do to make life easier and more enjoyable should be done. I do like how you have a DCI 6 iron to practice with, and I would expand on that. Maybe get a used or demo 695 MB 4 or 5 iron to practice with, and when you can hit that consistently maybe then consider getting a better players club. I’m not β€œdoubting your game” and maybe you might be the exception, but from personal experience I’d error on the side of caution. Maybe think about getting the 755s or the 775s those would be a great starting point. Those clubs will suit you until you become a 10 or better (if you don’t have the lefts) they also have better shafts for slow smooth swings. DGR300 are heavy and have a low ball flight, don’t know if this is what you want but I’m sure it’s A LOT different than your graphite shafts.

Hope this helps.

FYI Jay Haas is killing people on the seniors tour with a set of 755s

Driver: R5 TP 10.5Β° Diamana Blue S
Hybrid: 585H 19Β° 904HB S
Hybrid: Idea Pro 23Β° 80 VS S
Irons: MP-32 PW-7iron & MP-60 6-4iron
Wedge: WRX Vokey 52.08Wedge: Vokey SM Oil Can 56.14Wedge: PM MD 60.11Putter: OLD School FuturaBall: Pro V1x

I used some starter set from Wilson until I broke 100, then I went for a used set of Titleist 804s. I must say the 804s helped me a lot with getting clean hits and just building up my confidence. I've since gotten a set of 735s and my ball striking has kept improving steadily. If I could putt worth a darn, my scores would be 5-10 strokes lower. The experience and confidence I gained in the 804s (oversized, offset, etc.) made the transition to the 735s much easier. There was a transition period were my scores ballooned back up a bit, but that soon went away once I got used to them. Visually, there is a drastic difference. However, being able to shape the ball as needed and still having a little bit of forgiveness has been great.

My advice is somewhat in line with eyevan. I would get a more forgiving set until you know that ball striking is not dragging your scores down. I also like his idea of practicing on a 5 or 6-iron of a better set so you can slowly integrate yourself with a better set of clubs and eventually make the transition. I'm not sure of what availability you have to pro shops or eBay, but I'm sure you can find single clubs like that around somewhere and not have to fork over a huge amount of money.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

I certainly would not recommend Titleist 735's at your skill level. Make no mistake, they are great clubs. Because of the fact of the smaller head shape and being forged, you should start out with something more along the lines of Callaway X-18's or Big Bertha's. By starting out with a bigger head, it will allow you to hit better more accurate shots and have more fun out there on the golf course... Yes.. Yes... I know you want to have forged clubs with the "pro look" but I guarantee you that golf will not be as much fun when your chunking and mis-hitting shots will a harder to hit forged club. :)
In My Bag
--------------
Titleist D2 9.5* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff
Titleist PT 906f2 15* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff
Titleist PT 585 Hybrid 21* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff Callaway X-Tour 4-PW w/t DGS-300 Callaway X-Tour Vintage Gap Wedge 54* CallawayX-Tour Vintage MD Sand Wedge 58*Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 34/340/S C....

"with a harder to hit forged club"

Sorry! :)
In My Bag
--------------
Titleist D2 9.5* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff
Titleist PT 906f2 15* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff
Titleist PT 585 Hybrid 21* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff Callaway X-Tour 4-PW w/t DGS-300 Callaway X-Tour Vintage Gap Wedge 54* CallawayX-Tour Vintage MD Sand Wedge 58*Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 34/340/S C....

I think the 735s could potentially be okay for you. But, keep in mind that many pros also use these clubs. Although if you are seriously addicted to golf as you say, getting the 735s will force your swing and ball striking to improve much quicker than with an oversize club. You may also want to consider the 755s. They are pretty sweet and provide a little higher ball flight.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

They are pretty sweet and provide a little higher ball flight. [/QUOTE]

Why do the 755's have a higher ball flight than the 735's? Is it because they have more weight low, do the 735's have more spin?
In My Bag:
Driver: 905t, 9.5*, Grafalloy Blue Stiff
3-Wood: 906f2, 15*, NV-S
Hybrid: 585h, 19*, NV-S
Irons: 735.CM, DG S300Wedges: CG10 52*, 56*, Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: One PlatinumHome Course: Stoke Park Club

They are pretty sweet and provide a little higher ball flight.

Leo Morris,

Your swing and the loft of the club are two biggest factors in dictating spin. For irons, you will not be able to see any tangible change in spin numbers between different "styles" of irons. For all intesive purposes, the 735's are pretty much the same club as the 755's from the 7 iron on up.

I recently purchased the 735's. I'm an 8.6 index now. Played 2nd round with them today, I am thrilled with the clubs. I previously played with the Callaway x-14s and was afraid of the smaller head size and the blade style of the 8 , 9 and PW. I have had no trouble adjust to the smaller heads. I am hitting them crisp and in the middle of the club and they really do feel great. I never understood what people meant when they talked about how great a forged club feels when you hit well. Now I understand and I love it.

The look is wonderful and I can actually hit a fade now when I want to. Never could with the X-14s. I'm even hitting the 3 iron and I never did that before. I couldn't be happier with these irons.

• 2 weeks later...
i am only a 26 handicap, been playing infrequently for almost 2 years...i tried various clubs, TaylorMade LT, Titliest 908 i think extended 1.5" and the sweetest clubs i have ever hit are those blessed 735 CM. I tried the clubs from this guy who plays off 6 and i loved them, and hit very well with them. Then i bought my own, took them to the range and they were a total disaster. Here's the funny part...

Then i went on the course...and played an amazing round, absolutely great feel and just wonderful overall response from the irons..I love them..I am not a great golfer but i love these babies...i play at abt 19 or 20 with them...so yes go for it. i love my set!

The TM's RAC LT's are good irons but I would reshaft with a steel shaft, either TT Dynamic Gold R300 (my recommendation) or rifle shafts. I would say that the 735.CM's are for 0-10 handicaps and the 755's are for 0-15. The 755's are very fogiving and long, they are great irons as are the 735's. If money is not an object you can give the Titleists a try (make sure you hit them on the range before you buy); if you want to save $ and still have great irons, reshaft the TM's.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9Β° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15Β° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids:Β Adams Idea Tech V3 16Β° Stiff,Β TM Burner Rescue 19Β° & 22Β° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PWΒ | Wedges:Β Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

i went thru the phase of trying to choose new irons , tileist 735 cb were on the top of my hit list. I got fed up with all the reviews and picked up a set of Accuform blades 2 to lob wedge for $50 US , new s-300 shafts and grips ...
i'll give them a try before i spend big money on the new stuff.

driver Titleist 905R
3w Titleist 904F
5w Srixon awd 19
irons 3-pw titleist 962
wedges cleveland 485 56 Accuform gap 52putter scotty cameron platinum Luguna 2

Note:Β This thread is 6345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!