IGNORED

My new SkyCaddie "SG3"...Review

Note:Β This thread is 6073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

It's real easy, so this way you can check all your local courses and see if they are there (I'll bet they are).

2 of the 6-7 courses that are on my regular rotation were not listed. They have both been open about 5-7 years. I wonder how long it takes to get a course listed.

In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the SG3 vs. the SureShot, does anyone have experience to share about the accuracy/quality of the 1 & 2 star "amateur" courses submitted by users? The sureshot is pretty slim on courses, though oddly OK around NYC (where I am) but the skycaddie courses around here are largely 1 & 2 star...

Ya got me on that one? So far I havn't played a course that wasn't a 4 star so i really can't be of any help?

2 of the 6-7 courses that are on my regular rotation were not listed. They have both been open about 5-7 years. I wonder how long it takes to get a course listed.

Wood,

You might want to e-mail SkyCaddie and ask them? So far I havn't found a single course in So. Calif that wasn't listed.

This Sunday I'm playing a course called "Red Hawk" in Temecula (near San Diego). It's the first time I will have played a "2 star" SkyCaddie course, so I'll give you all an update on how it goes. According to SkyGolf the main difference is that I won't have lay-up info on bunkers and water hazards, and I may only get "center of green" yardages instead of front, center, and rear like normal.

I've never played there before, but a friend of mine says they only have blue, white and red stakes on the sides of the fairways for 200, 150, and 100 yard markers, so even if I only get the "center of green" measurements I'll still be WAY ahead....since I will get the correct center yardage from WHERE EVER I am STANDING!

......then again, I still have to hit the green, right? ha ha!!!

This Sunday I'm playing a course called "Red Hawk" in Temecula (near San Diego). It's the first time I will have played a "2 star" SkyCaddie course, so I'll give you all an update on how it goes. According to SkyGolf the main difference is that I won't have lay-up info on bunkers and water hazards, and I may only get "center of green" yardages instead of front, center, and rear like normal.

billinoc, I played at RedHawk last month..you are WAY ahead of the game if you bring your GPS unit..the carts DO NOT have them..the course is POORLY marked.

The most visual marker is the black and white striped 150 yard marker. They do have "hidden" yardage plaques on the fairway..but it gets old looking around where it is becuase it's so well hidden. They sell yardage books at the pro-shop for $1.. You are going to have fun if you have a GPS unit..

billinoc, I played at RedHawk last month..you are WAY ahead of the game if you bring your GPS unit..the carts DO NOT have them..the course is POORLY marked.

Mav,

Thanks for the intel....looks like this is a perfect test for this unit. ...by the way, how was Redhawk? Do you recommend it, or perhaps some other course in Temecula? My son lives there and we are spending X-mas there...gotta get in some golf!!!

Redhawk is "o.k."..I was expecting more for all the hoopla I've heard about it..it tracks through a newer housing development area..not as "secluded" as I thought..it's good for a public day fee..but I just expected more.

The greens are tough..mult-tiered..so brings your short game..the overall condition was 6/10..it's nice but nothing to write home about.

Their famous, dread, bring a alot of balls reputation was utter bogus..unless you are slicing the ball everywhere..but isn't that the case for any course.

I've heard so much about this terryfying par 3 surrounded by a wastebunker..you'll see it..the green is HUGE and if you don't hit the green it's an easy up and down..I was off in the sand and got up and down..

but anyday playing is better than not..

I would really like this! I've heard alot of talk about it on the Golf Channel, and seeing these more often in tournaments.. Its very helpful to know!!! There arent any courses listed in their library that are close enough for me to spend the $. Mapping the course myself, would take alot of time too.. Ugh.. I'll stick to my Bushnell.

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

I would really like this! I've heard alot of talk about it on the Golf Channel, and seeing these more often in tournaments.. Its very helpful to know!!! There arent any courses listed in their library that are close enough for me to spend the $. Mapping the course myself, would take alot of time too.. Ugh.. I'll stick to my Bushnell.

yeah..if you hav no courses that they carry then your better off with a laser.

It only takes about 90 seconds to map each green the next time you play a course. Then you have that course on file. It's there whenever you need it. And that doesn't cost anything. You don't need to be a subscriber to map your own courses.

Plus, when you map a course you can upload it to the website and then its available to other players in your area. (If you do subscribe to the service)

Driver: King Cobra SS
Woods: Nicklaus 3, 5, 7
Irons: Nicklaus Iron Max
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Odyssey White HotBall: Titleist NXT Tour or GranZHome course: Dogwood Country Club

Mav,

A really nice course in the Temecula area is the SCGA Members Course in Murrieta...a little north of Temecula. It's a Robert Trent Jones course with many outstanding holes. SCGA members get much lower greens fees, so you might want to consider paying the nominal $40 per year annual dues for the privilege of being able to play this fine course at a discount. You'll recoup the $40 investment after only 2 rounds. You'll also get many other member benefits, including establishishing your USGA handicap. Golf is pretty expensive in Southern California, but the greens fees for members at the SCGA Members Course are very reasonable for the quality of golf and treatment from the staff that you'll receive. Check out their web site at http://www.scgagolfcourse.com/ . I always felt that it was a country club atmosphere at a fraction of the price. Good golfing! Steve

Well, I played RedHawk on Sunday and the SG3 worked just fine! Since it was a "2 Star" course I didn't know what to expect. It gave me the readings to the center of the greens, not the front-center-back readings and lay-up yardages that the "4 Star" courses do. I joined up with two guys that live there and play there all the time and they LOVED it. By the second hole I had to drive up to each of their shots every time and call out the yardage!

On X-Mas day I played another course in Temecula called Cross Creek. Wow, a really great course to visit if you ever get a chance. Built in a canyon just outside of Temecula it is soo isolated and quiet it was like being on another planet! I downloaded the course in the morning using my son's PC and Cross Creek is a "4 Star" course so it had all the usual good stuff on the SG3. It really helped since the threesome I joined up with were from out of town and had never been there before either. I don't think there has been one time I've played where someone in the group wasn't going to go and buy a SkyCaddie right away!

billinoc, sounds like you were busy..should've charged a fee for your service..lol I too noticed that RH was marked as a 2-STAR course..it's probably too late but I wonder if you could've added to their course by measuring off the front and rear yardages.

Does the 2-STAR course offer intelli-green outline?

--

Anyway..aren't you so glad you had it there..I hated trying to find those "hidden" yardage plaques on the fw. I got mine yesterday and wow..it is tiny..it's the same size as my cell phone..easy to carry..looking for some kind of clip now for it.

billinoc, sounds like you were busy..should've charged a fee for your service..lol I too noticed that RH was marked as a 2-STAR course..it's probably too late but I wonder if you could've added to their course by measuring off the front and rear yardages.

Hello Mav........

Come to think of it, I didn't even remember to see if I could add existing points to what was there allready? Also, the "IntelliGreen" rotating feature only works with 4-Star courses....strange that RedHawk would be one of the few 2-star courses in So. Calif, eh? Even so, it was great, and the guys who play that course all the time really saw the benefits too. As far as a belt clip, look on the web-site, they will be offering a custom case in a couple of weeks. Since I got mine a month ago there were no cases made, so I stopped by Best Buy and paid $9 for a small camera case with a belt loop on it. I just took a pair of scissors and cut off the folding flap...PRESTO!! A perfect carring case!!! I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Temporary Cart Mounting Bracket! It makes things soo sweet! When I'm done I just fold it up and keep it in my bag! If I get to a hole that is "cart-path-only" I simply put it in my pocket and walk to my ball, they snap it back in the bracket when I get back to the cart.

When you connected your USB cable to your SG3 did it power off? Mine did and I just turned it back on..all is well..but kinda thru me for a loop. I'm so surprised how small it really is..it's the same size as my Nextel i530 cell phone.

If you use that holder you made doesn't it block out the signal when you have it inside?

Did you buy the extended warranty?

When you connected your USB cable to your SG3 did it power off? Mine did and I just turned it back on..all is well..but kinda thru me for a loop. I'm so surprised how small it really is..it's the same size as my Nextel i530 cell phone.

Hello Mav,

I normally connect the cable then power on. As for the case? Nope you will NOT lose the signal. At RedHawk they have some holes that you drive thru a tunnel under the road to get to the other side and STILL no loss of signal. I'm sure if I stayed in the tunnel long enough it would lose signal, but it's not as "touchy" as you might think. I mean I've even sat in the clubhouse having a bite to eat after 9 holes and still NO loss of signal. As far as the warranty? Yup, I got it. I figured the $19 bucks for a years extra coverage wasn't a bad deal, so I signed up. Once again....get yourself that "Temp Cart Mount Bracket" kit...it's great!!!

I'm going to have to run over to BestBuy and try what you did also..at least until they come out with the belt clip in Jan '07.

--

size comparison..pretty slick huh

Hey Mav,

One thing I forgot to mention.....

At courses like Old Ranch and Straberry Farms the driving range distances are yellow, blue, red, green (and other colors) poles. They usually have a board that tells you what pole is how far, right? The problen is that many driving ranges can be as much as 20 to 50 yards off depending on where the tees are that day, right?

The great thing with your SkyCaddie is this.....when you turn it on and select the course you are playing it will come up with a screen with numbers 1 thru 18 and a "D". The numbers represent the holes on the course, so if you start on hole #1 press that number and you are off. If you teed-off on the back nine, you would press on #10. Hell, even if you SNEAK on the course and start on the third hole just press the #3 , then the rest of the holes follow in order as you go on automatically.

Anyway, back to the driving range....simply choose the "D" and it will give you the color of each pole and the exact distance to it! Take a few steps back or forward and you will see the distances change for each color pole!

Pretty cool, eh?

Note:Β This thread is 6073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!