IGNORED

HELP !! Hitting it fat with my irons consistently ...

Note: This thread is 4789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I did get out to the range tonight and hit balls for an hour or so.  I worked on my balance and putting a tee just behind the ball.  I was still hitting it a bit fat but I could tell I was getting better towards the end of my session.  I also started to figure out my shoulder turn that was working so well in the fall.  It basically works like this, solid, balanced stance and then focus on rotating my shoulders as if on a pivot point.  The club stays on plane and I don't dip into the shot, so that I tend to get a very solid hit, high loft and a quick stop.  Not so good if you want or need the ball to roll out after it lands but great for when you need it to hit and stick.  One of my memorable shots from the fall using this method, I hit my 6 iron to a slightly elevated green on a par 3 and the ball when it hit, jumped straight up from it's pitch mark and landed 1" the the left and stopped.

cleveland.gif           Launcher 12° Driver - 15°  3W - 1°, 3°, 5° Hybrid - CG-15 60° LW 
mizuno.gif       MP-32 6-PW / MT-10 56°  SW 
Eidolon 52° GW  odyssey.gif      White Hot XG #7 Putter

Don't just stand there..........Smack that ball!

If you are hitting the ball cleanly at the range, then I think a large part of this could be mental. Obviously out on the course things are very different, and a lot of times I see guys trying too hard on the course because that is where it counts.

Focus on keeping your head still and don't let the ball be your target. the flag is your target. Often people will try too hard and bring their arms into the swing and really go at the ball and at this point, you're dead.

I could be wrong and there might be things you do need to work on with regards to your swing. But I agree that you shouldnt be thinking too much about your swing when on the course. That's for the range. On the course there's plenty other things to think about :)

Keep the head still and relax and crunch that ball.

good luck!

just to mention the obvious...do u practice on mats?  You can pick the ball off a mat or drop kick it and it goes pretty good.  Some one who knows how to compress the ball and not "flip" can practice effectively on mats however, if you are trying to learn how to compress the ball and not flip hitting off grass makes the feed back much more effective.

Some really good thoughts and advice.

I can only add what works for me.  The quickest way for me to get back to a proper weight shift and eliminate fat shots is to be sure to initiate my swing with the rotation of the hips.  If I start anything above the waist too early - fat shots are much more likely.  If you fire your hip rotation first, it's awfully tough to 'flip' or keep your weight on your back foot.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I have had similar problems ......

Originally Posted by inthehole

I can hit my irons just fine at the driving range, but on the course, I'm hitting an alarming amount of fat shots (improper divots - I'm focusing on hands ahead at contact, and lagging the club).    It's to the point where I'm hurting my elbow, I'm digging so much turf (I'm not trying to spin the ball or make divots at all).      I'm a relatively new golfer, but never had this problem before ... I know it's tough to diagnose without seeing someones swing ... but are there some common rule of thumbs (stance adjustment, etc)  to avoid hitting it fat  ?       There's so much dirt on my clubs at the end of a round, they look more like gardening tools than golf clubs.    THanks !

If you don't have it at the driving range at all, most of the solutions I've read will sure help, but if you hit from firm mats at the range your feet might be at a higher level then they are actually at the course (compared to the ball), it is a "cheapo" trick ..... and I am sure most people wouldn't like this advise, but why don't you try to grip a half inch lower on the grip and see what happens........

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 4789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!