IGNORED

Golf in Austria?

Note: This thread is 4931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

This May my dad is flying to Austria to celebrate his 80th birthday with his brothers and sisters. My brother is going with him. They will be there 3 weeks and he wants to golf a few times. We were told that you need a certain handicap to golf on courses there, and in Germany, and need a card? Anyone know if this is true or not? And also how to go about getting tee times, etc?

In Germany, you need a handicap for sure.  Typically under 28 or so.  I would imagine there are similar rules in place in Austria.  However, I've heard that for tourists, they will sometimes make exceptions to the rules if the pro watches you hit a few shots and sees you aren't a complete hacker.

I don't know about a card, but I'd guess it's just to prove you have an official handicap.

To get a tee time (and probably the best way to get concrete information), I'd imagine it's best to just call the course, same as in the states.

Hope that helps.

Where exactly in Austria are you going? If you are going to Vienna there are a few nice Golf courses on the Czech side of the border (incl my home course) It is about 1-1.5 hour drive away from Vienna. There you would not need any established handicap, but you need to be able to keep up a normal pace of play (1 round < 5 hours).

They are going to Klagenfurt, Karnten.  I guess he can ask my relatives, although none golf. I wonder also if you can rent clubs, rather than lug his along, only to play one or two rounds.

It depends on the course they are trying to play on, but usually it's no problem to play golf as a guest. Sometimes you don't even need a handicap.

Here is a list of all courses in Kärnten:

http://www.golf.at/clubs/search_text.asp?lstSites=2

The first 5 courses are relatively close to Klagenfurt, except Golfpark Klopeinersee, which is a bit farther away.

Just send a request to the given email-adresses on the site and ask about their requirements.

HTH and greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Michi, are you Austrian?  (Falls ja, Gruß Gott!)  I have an Austrian friend named Michi, which is why I ask.  In my experiences, Germans tend to stick with Michael, instead of going to Michi...

Yes, I'm Austrian and I've been called Michi for as long as I can remember :)

Only my mother called me Michael, and that was in a sharp tone when she was angry about me *rofl*.

@topic: I forgot to add - usually every golf course here has some kind of proshop and there should be no problem renting a set or half-set of clubs for a round.

BTW, your German is perfect!

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Note: This thread is 4931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!