IGNORED

Club advice for high handicapper

motius
Note: This thread is 6343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I just started golfing last spring, took some lessons from a teaching pro at my local range, and have been rapidly improving (went from extremely sucking, to just strait sucking!). Currently I probably would shoot around 108 on a par 72 (avg double bogey per hole)

One thing that became obvious is my clubs were not very good. Because I wasn't sure if I would like it, and didn't know much about gear, I started with one of those "Ram G-Force" box sets that includes a 4-PW Cavity Back Irons, a 3 Hybrid, 3 & 5 Woods, and a Driver. I found out quickly (with the help of my pro) that the graphite shafts on the woods and driver I had were all way to flexible (like super seniors or kids flex) which explained why I couldn't hit a decent shot with those, but was doing ok with the irons.

Since then, I pulled out all the crappy shafted RAM woods and driver from my back, and got a Callaway Big Bertha Titanium 5 Wood which I have been extremely happy with, and hit around 150-160 feet (and usually onto the correct fairway). I do have a Ram 3 Hybrid (Steel Shaft), however I cannot hit it consistently at all.

My bag currently looks like this:

Callaway Big Bertha TI 5 Wood (18* 42.5 Regular Flex 42.5") - works very well for me!
Ram G-force 3 Hybrid (Steel Shaft, cant hit worth a darn)
Ram G-force 4-PW Irons (these I can hit pretty well)
Ram Laser 52 & 58* Wedges (I hit these great!)

My question is this... I have some money to spend on another club purchase/upgrade. I don't have enough to buy a whole new iron set, but I can pretty much afford any fairway wood/driver/hybrid that I want.

Since I already have a very good 5 wood, I am leaning toward getting a 3 wood. I could get a driver, but I am not confident that my swing is good enough to be consistent with a driver. I am not sure about a hybrid given how poorly the one I have now is working for me.

I am primarily using my 5 wood for shots off the tee (it is effectively my driver right now)

If I get a 3 wood, I can get the matching Callaway Big Bertha TI 3 wood, which is 16* and 43.5" shaft. However, that is only 2* less loft than my 5 wood (normally wouldn't there by 4* of difference between a 3 and 5 ?) and I am a bit concerned that the 43.5" shaft is maybe too long. I supposed I could get it and have them shorten the shaft a 1/2" ?

I could also get the Callaway X Fairway 3 Wood, which is 15* and only a 43" shaft, although it does have a bit of a smaller head (maybe not as good for shots off the tee?)

What would you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance.

In my Bag: (Sun Mountain C-130 '07)

Driver: X460 11°
5W: Big Bertha Ti '05
4h: Fusion FT 23°5i-GW: Big Bertha '04SW: CG11 56° Putter: G5i Anser

I would recommend you get a set of "good" clubs to start out with, the callaway big bertha iron set would be perfect or the callaway fusion wide sole irons would help you get the ball soaring. And as for a driver i would go with something like the Nike SQ or the Ping Rapture, you really need "game-improvement" irons. No offense but... the clubs you have now will only hurt you.
In My Bag
--------------
Titleist D2 9.5* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff
Titleist PT 906f2 15* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff
Titleist PT 585 Hybrid 21* w/t ProForce V2 Stiff Callaway X-Tour 4-PW w/t DGS-300 Callaway X-Tour Vintage Gap Wedge 54* CallawayX-Tour Vintage MD Sand Wedge 58*Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 34/340/S C....

If you could purchase the Big Bertha irons for a good price, I would agree with jdub123. Another iron set to consider would be a set of Ping Eye 2's because despite their age, in my opinion, they are still by far one of the best clubs ever made by Ping. A good set of those would not break the bank either! As for the 3 wood, a brand that's been available that has received great reviews would be Sonartec. I've tried the 3 wood before & the distance was amazingly almost driver-like.

What's in the bag:
Tourstage 405 X-Drive driver w/Graphite Design Tour AD shaft
Tourstage F-UT 3 wood w/Graphite Design Tour AD shaft
PRGR 7 wood hybrid Graphite Design Pershing shaft
Tourstage X-blade irons w/ NSPro 950GH shaftsNike Tiger Woods model SWVintage Scotty Cameron Mizuno putterBall:...

Thanks for the advice.

I have looked at the Callaway Big Bertha irons as possibly being a good upgrade, it is bit more than I was going to spend (and I definately would not be able to also get a driver or wood aswell), but if the consensus is that I should just stick with my 5 wood and not bother with a 3 wood or driver for now (and instead get better irons) then I will take that advise.

On the irons, I know you should always get irons a bit better than you are... should I be looking at the Big Bertha irons, or the X-18? I think both are considered "Game Improvement Irons", just one moreso than the other.

Thanks again!

In my Bag: (Sun Mountain C-130 '07)

Driver: X460 11°
5W: Big Bertha Ti '05
4h: Fusion FT 23°5i-GW: Big Bertha '04SW: CG11 56° Putter: G5i Anser

Either the Big Bertha or the X18 would be a good choice. The only main difference between the two is that pricewise, the X18's would be a little bit more. As far as playability though, the Big Berthas are "supposedly" easier to hit. My suggestion is to try them both and see which is more to your liking. Good luck on your selection!

What's in the bag:
Tourstage 405 X-Drive driver w/Graphite Design Tour AD shaft
Tourstage F-UT 3 wood w/Graphite Design Tour AD shaft
PRGR 7 wood hybrid Graphite Design Pershing shaft
Tourstage X-blade irons w/ NSPro 950GH shaftsNike Tiger Woods model SWVintage Scotty Cameron Mizuno putterBall:...

I would recommend you to have your club fitted. When I first started off until now I been using iron that is fitted for me as I believe everyone is different in build and getting fitted club will help you play better.
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

The reason you are hitting your 5 wood off the tee is because the loft makes it easier. If you are looking for a driver you might want to check out a G5 driver that PING makes called "The Easy". It's 13.5 degree loft combined with a 460cc head is VERY forgiving when it comes to tee shots. It's not cheap, but maybe you might be able to find a used or demo at your local golf shops?

If you don't have that much money to spend, I wouldn't buy anything new.

When you get better, and you will, you will regret having paid big $$$ for game improvement stuff.

Cheap, quality recommendations:

1. Get a set of decent irons first
Best deal: Original Tommy Armour 845's (used around $50-$100 for the set)--these are still awesome irons that you can grow into. My buddy is a 5 handicap and still uses these. This is a quality set of irons that you can really learn a lot on and not break the bank.

2. Get a BIG ASS driver
Easy to hit and cheap: Taylormade R5 (used around $70-$100). Get a 10.5* as it's a high launch driver. Again, you can pay pay $300 and get fit for a driver when your swing is consistent enough for it and you have a better-paying job

--Skip the 3 wood for now. If you're hitting the 5 wood well, then you'll be disappointed with the extra few yards of the 3 wood. Just get the big used driver and you'll have fun learning to bomb it. You DO NOT need to carry 14 clubs.

--Trust me and listen to the other club ho's here, your lust for better and newer equipment will only get worse the longer you play. Save money by not buying new game improvement clubs and starter sets, get quality used stuff, and just play!

Driver: FT-5 Tour 8.5* neutral
3 wood: TEE CB1 15*
Irons (3-PW): Nike forged blades
SW: Sonartec T35 proto 54*
LW: Sonartec T35 proto 58*Putter: Yes! Tracey

Those RAM Golf Set are rather bulky... and unbalanced.... Their iron heads are to heavy...

start searching on eBay..... for good name "used" clubs such as Mizuno, Adams, Cleveland, Ping.... they should be around $200 to $300....
Hi All,

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

...Best deal: Original Tommy Armour 845's (used around $50-$100 for the set)--these are still awesome irons that you can grow into. My buddy is a 5 handicap and still uses these. This is a quality set of irons that you can really learn a lot on and not break the bank...

I second that recommendation as well as the one to skip the 3-wood for now.

Note: This thread is 6343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!