Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andersf

Your opinions on beginners bag, please!

11 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have borrowed my friends club at the driving range a couple of times, and also at a par 3 course, and I'm hooked!

I have put together a nice bag from searching eBay, and would like to have your comments on what I've bought, and if you think it would suite an absolute beginner!

The goal has been to get a more or less complete bag without spending a fortune!

Irons

Wilson Staff Fat Shaft 3-PW

Stiff graphite shafts Wilson/UST

Winn Master Wrap (worn, intend to get them changed eventually)

I think this is the first version of the Fat Shafts.

Wilson Fat Shaft Tour Cast SW

Steel shaft Wilson/TrueTemper

Lamkin grip with Wilson logo, great shape

Price for irons: $46

Driver

Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawk Eye 9°

Regular graphite shaft UST ProForce 65 gold

Karma Golf Grip, grate shape

Price: $8

Wood

Wilson Fat Boy II Strong 5 17°

Regular graphite shaft UST ProForce 65 gold

Haven't got it yet, so I don't know about the grip.

Price: $12.99

Putter

Wilson Harmonized Mallet Putter

Don't know much about it yet, will arrive tomorrow hopefully.

Price: $6.99

Bag

Ergonomix stand bag, Walmart...

Price: $40

Also bought some used TopFlite XL3000 "superlong" balls, 24 for $4.25, and I could not resist the green golf towel with the Wilson logo for $5...

So all in all $123.23

What do you think? Do I absolutely need anything more? Do I have something that is hard to play with? I really want easy, forgiving stuff to learn with.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Sounds good! When you are first learning it almost doesn't matter what type of equipment you use, as long at it is somewhat forgiving.

My first bag was a set of womens dunlop clubs that I picked up for $150. I played 8-10 rounds with them before I discovered they were womens clubs lol.

The only thing I would add to your bag is either a 3 or 4 hybrid. When I was learning I could not for the life of me hit a 3/4 iron.

I might look for a driver with a bit more loft and more forgiveness but seems perfect for a beginner besides that.  Good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersf View Post

Hi!

I have borrowed my friends club at the driving range a couple of times, and also at a par 3 course, and I'm hooked!

I have put together a nice bag from searching eBay, and would like to have your comments on what I've bought, and if you think it would suite an absolute beginner!

The goal has been to get a more or less complete bag without spending a fortune!

Irons

Wilson Staff Fat Shaft 3-PW

Stiff graphite shafts Wilson/UST

Winn Master Wrap (worn, intend to get them changed eventually)

I think this is the first version of the Fat Shafts.

Wilson Fat Shaft Tour Cast SW

Steel shaft Wilson/TrueTemper

Lamkin grip with Wilson logo, great shape

Price for irons: $46

Driver

Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawk Eye 9°

Regular graphite shaft UST ProForce 65 gold

Karma Golf Grip, grate shape

Price: $8

Wood

Wilson Fat Boy II Strong 5 17°

Regular graphite shaft UST ProForce 65 gold

Haven't got it yet, so I don't know about the grip.

Price: $12.99

Putter

Wilson Harmonized Mallet Putter

Don't know much about it yet, will arrive tomorrow hopefully.

Price: $6.99

Bag

Ergonomix stand bag, Walmart...

Price: $40

Also bought some used TopFlite XL3000 "superlong" balls, 24 for $4.25, and I could not resist the green golf towel with the Wilson logo for $5...

So all in all $123.23

What do you think? Do I absolutely need anything more? Do I have something that is hard to play with? I really want easy, forgiving stuff to learn with.

If you have trouble with the driver I recommend this for a begginer. http://www.2ndswing.com/browse.cfm/4,99671.html

Its the Great Big Bertha 2 with an 11* loft and a reg flex shaft. Ive been known to smack the ball close to 300 sometimes further with this though the average is around 250 and I find it really forgiving but still able to shape shots  around dog legs when needed.

Sounds pretty thrifty to me.  Only things I see that are missing: tees (really not worth pricing), gloves and shoes.

I remember wanting those Fat Shaft irons.  I had the Fat Shaft Driver (picked up from Ebay along with a Wilson stand bag), but never did get the irons.  Memories, lol.

@ anders,

Did you get all this stuff off ebay? From the same seller?

I'm asking because it's easy to get caught up in the good deals on ebay, without factoring in shipping costs. Not sure where you've based, but in case you're outside the continental US, just keep it in mind.

@xxsoultonesxx

That's my thought as well, spending $1000 at this point probably wouldn't make it easier for me to learn. So I went with what has been considered good clubs to learn with.

Isn't ladies clubs usually shorter? Regarding hybrids I've hade people telling me that hybrids are just something new that will pass, but what do I know?

@Carts

But Adams Tight Lies is really nice stuff, right? And the feeling of owning new nice stuff...

@Leftygolfer

Yes, after reading some more I realized this as well. Maybe 11.5 or so... But then again, people have played really good golf with worse stuff than this I guess!

@Bostonsully

That is precisely what I would be looking for! Once I start feeling the difference between clubs I guess it's time to upgrade.