• Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
    Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope. 15% off TourStriker (no code).
    • The International Team is tanking on putts. 
    • Decibels is sound 'pressure' not wave frequency. From that perspective a SGI Iron will have very different pressure wave than a blade even with the same speed and other variables considered equal. Additionally, since your phone will not be in direct path the turbulence difference (which generates the sound 'pressure) will have much lesser variance. In other words you will have convergence at one particular speed. Maybe it's this 90MPH speed with your 6i. But I doubt you will have proportional deviation above or below the speed to give you anything will reliability.  And other speeds? 80, 90? 
    • You could have saved us all some time by realizing I tend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to science and tech. 😛  What? The only way they would imply that it would be "possible" is if you were able to spend six figures (minimum) AND that doesn't include the swing robot that could reach peak speed at the same exact location every time. No, they didn't say it was possible for someone like you to do anything remotely good. Session to session. The PRGR doesn't work the same way - it samples the speed, from behind (inline with the direction of travel) with radar, and takes the highest number it registers. The distance from the PRGR isn't super relevant. You're not reading. Or understanding. No to both. The former is because of the microphones, and the latter is because a clubhead swing more closed versus more open will have a different air flow and thus a different pitch and volume. Clubheads are not symmetrical. You're missing the point. How reflective some of that stuff is could matter. The sounds it generates to background noise could matter. 85 dBs is generally considered ear-injuring volume. You don't "need to find an app" because this will not work at all.
    • But it will change from session to session, from one person’s location to the next, etc. If your goal is to figure out X db = Y mph in swing speed to share with others, that matters.
    • An you still took several minutes to write several posts and talk to sound engineers. I appreciate that you did!  So they basically tell you is possible but you need to be very restrictive. The same thing I found on my research.  Temperature: is not going to change much between swing A and swing B. Distance of max club head: even the PRGR take the fastest speed recorded, not the speed at the ball. But this could be diminish by swinging several times each swing and average the results.  Angles: also PRGR returns less speed swinging on a certain degree.  Clubface orientation: it is also an issue with launch monitors that are not reading the center of the mass of the club. You can have a lot more club speed if your face rotation is higher and your lunch monitor is reading the toe of the club. "Other stuff in the room": are the same from swing A to B, or you can just swing naked! haha  This is the main idea, I have a PRGR and Skytrak. There are plenty of people, more here in Argentina, that can't afford a launch monitor. Also wanted to share the idea and let it be challenged by others. I don't mind been wrong, is part of experimenting.  I did and all the swings were close to 85 dbs, me swinging at 90 m/h. But I don't mind doing a proper test later in the afternoon writing down the results. I need to find and app that also have frequencies in order to test both.   

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...