IGNORED

Hello from Tampa Bay!

Matthew Katona
Note: This thread is 4904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all!

Matt from Tampa Bay Florida here. I’m 37 and just rediscovered my love for the game. Used to play in High school, but stopped when I was around 17. Been hitting the links at least once a week since October and the last two months about twice a week.  The courses I play have a slope of around 125 – 135 and my score is around 100. On the executive courses (par 3s) the score is mid 80s. Work in the telecommunications industry from Wed – Sat (four 10 hours). I’m really blessed to have two foursomes which I can choose to play with. Planning on joining the Dicks Sporting goods single league starting May 3 rd 2011.

The Game:

The Drive:  220 yards average (not a power hitter) BUT I tend to slice/push right off the tee 70% of the time losing distance. Trying to fix this with slower short back swing. Might take a lesson to help.

160+ yards out is really going to take me two strokes most of the time. Haven't invested time on the long irons yet.

100 – 150 yards out will be close if not on the dance floor. 7iron - PW is good.

30-100 yards out is excellent. PW game has been hot the last few times out.

0-30 yards is weak but improving. Tend to use my PW but playing with the idea of the 7iron bump and run.

Putting:  normally a 2 putt average, BUT, it’s really either a 1 put or a 3 put based on the short game.

My Gear:

Irons: Used Ping i10s purple dot. Traded a used Kayak for them, with a ping wedge.

Driver: Callaway ft9 Draw. Used from craigslist for $70.

Woods: All I carry is my 20+ year old Accusteel 5 wood. Love this club!!

Putter: 33in Heavy Putter

Bag: Ping Explorer. Brand Spanking new from Craigslist for $30!

Questions : I tend to need to choke up on the irons for better control. I’m not sure if this means they are too long? Thoughts?

Thank you for your time, input, and hope to see you on the course!

Note: This thread is 4904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!