IGNORED

Golf Myrtle Beach ???

Note: This thread is 6318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will be heading to Myrtle somewhere between March and May. I have played there a few times before, but still need help choosing what courses to play or who to contact for good package deals...

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You,

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

First Advice don't wait any longer to book.Do it now!!!May is perfect weather in the low 80's and the courses are in great shape.Remember biker week is the 13-20 but the courses are empty because bikers don't play golf and they really are good people.The Mrs and i allways go that week for the last 10 years.Courses are plentifull my favorites are in no particular order The Dunes Club,any of Barefoot courses,Tru Blue,Caledonia,Heritage down south.Up north we play Crow Creek,Long Bay,Tigers Eye,Carolina national,Rivers Edge and Shaftsbury glenn.These are mostly high end courses but we stay at the Ocean Dunes hotel and our package gets us 7 nights W/breakfast and carts 7 rounds for 1000 a piece in a ocean front efficencey unit W/ kitchen and balconey overlooking the ocean and all the regular hotel goodies ie hot tub,indoor or outdoor pool gym etc.Its a little pricey but like i said all top shelf courses and all the goodies thrown in.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Check out www.golfdesk.com . If you give them a call, ask for Laura, she's very good. They also have some fantastic package deals. We went down last June (that's the offseason in Myrtle so you'll probably pay more) and played courses # 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 below, stayed 4 nights, and paid a total of $500 per person.

Of the courses I've played, here's how I'd rank them...

1. Caledonia
2. Tidewater
3. TPC Myrtle Beach
4. King's North
5. Arrowhead
6. Long Bay
7. World Tour
8. Barefoot Love
9. Barefoot Fazio

A lot of people seem to like the Barefoot courses but I just really didn't care for either of them that much when I played them. To me anyway, a lot of the holes seemed the same and were very bland.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Long bay, a must play. Just don't tempt any back tee's there... =O

But my favorite course is without a doubt Kings North. Great people conditions, and Arnold Palmer is the one of my most favorite designers.

I appreciate the advice...Thank You.

Keep it coming

A little about what I am looking for in a course may help.

- Fast Greens is a must.

- Length is preferred, but also enjoy a good placement course. If I could get both, that would be ideal.

- I enjoy a challenge...the lower the handicap rating, the better.

- I do not enjoy flat, boring courses. Although it is nice to "go low".

- The more variety, the better.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

My 5 toughest courses in Myrtle from the Blue Tees are

#1 TRU BLUE
#2 The Dye Course
#3 Heritage
#4 Grande Dunes {only because it stretches to 7700 yards}
#5 Rivers Edge

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Check out "Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday". easy to find online for the entire scoop. In season, book early because the better courses fill up quick. There are still plenty of courses to find here. Rivers Edge and Tidewater are two of the best in the area. Heritage and Tru Blue are great on the south end.

I appreciate the advice...Thank You.

If you like length and shot placement, I think you'd really like Caledonia. All of the top 3 on my list had very good conditions (of which green conditions is my highest priority) and none of them are boring. I can't speak for True Blue (although by all accounts, I'm sure it's a smokin' course) but definitely try to check out Caledonia, TPC, or Tidewater.

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I will be heading to Myrtle somewhere between March and May. I have played there a few times before, but still need help choosing what courses to play or who to contact for good package deals...

Drop us a line John Boy, we'd be more than happy to provide you with some golf package ideas.

www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com

The Myrtle Beach Golf Experts

I'd avoid TPC. They've cut their operating budget in half and I understand it is in bad shape.

You generally won't find the greens in Myrtle to be very fast. They're mostly Bermuda and not as fast as good bentgrass. In early March the Bermuda may still be dormant, so you're putting on rye. On the south end River Club has bent grass greens. It's an OK course, but I prefer True Blue, Caledonia, Pawleys Plantation and Heritage down there.

Barefoot courses are generally terrific - although I don't particularly care for the Norman course. I hear good things about Grande Dunes, but haven't played it. King's North is a good track.

As mentioned already, up on the north end, Tidewater is tops and in NC Tiger's Eye, Lion's Paw, etc are really good, as is Rivers Edge - a Palmer design.

To avoid driving miles and miles you ought to focus on what part of the grand strand you want to play on this trip. You can spend a lot of time getting to a course on the south end when your hotel is up north, and vice versa.

Also if you want to go to "gentlemen's clubs" at night you're better off in Myrtle Beach proper than down south. It's pretty quiet there.

Note: This thread is 6318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!