IGNORED

My Weight Loss Program...It's Working

Shagbag
Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be 60 next month and had a major health issue a couple of years ago, coupled with a left hip that required a full hip replacement procedure.  I had a minor heart attack in 2007...I had no chest pains, but felt like I had major heartburn that radiated a little from my upper chest into my throat.  It persisted off and on for several days, so I decided to go into the emergency room.  To make a long story short, Doc said it was a heart attack and one of my arteries was almost completely closed.  Didn't need by-pass, ended up getting two stents and everything has been fine since.

A few months later, my hip would lock up on me, which was very painful.  Cutting to the chase, a THR fixed that.

I haven't done much these past few years to prevent these issues from recurring.  I'm a big guy (6-4) who has a very big frame.  I am able to carry my weight very well, but I admit I was VERY overweight.  I've weighed anywhere from 295 to 310 probably since about 2002.  I also smoke and I know I was a poster child for another heart attack or stroke.  My wife is 23 years younger than I am, and she's a fit little thing.  She's always hinted it would be good for me to get on a program and lose some weight...something my doctor is always preaching to me about as well.  Up until about 2002, I was fit and worked out.  So I decided it was now or never and took action.

I decided to tackle the weight problem first.  Didn't think it was a good idea to try and lose weight and stop smoking at the same time.

I put myself on a 2500 calorie diet to start off.  I'm no expert or anything, but it's not rocket science and there's a lot of free advise and calorie counting software available free on the internet.  I didn't really exercise for the first two months, just counted the calories, while keeping track of "where" the calories were coming from.  I weighed in at 302 to begin the program and after two months on the program I weighed in at 277.  At that point I reduced my calories to 2100 per day and I continued to lose weight, about 1.5 lbs per week.  Still no exercising to speak of.

Last week I re-jioned the fitness center I used to belong to.  It has everything...weights, all the cardio machines, swimming pool, hot tubs, steam room, sauna, racquet ball courts, hoops, classes, etc.  I weighed in at 273 when I joined.  Haven't weighed in since I joined but I will probably weigh in once a week now.

I do the stationary bikes, threadmill, and most of the weight lifting machines for the various parts the upper and lower body.  I also spend lots of time in the steam room, sauna and hot tubs.  I'm going to stay on the 2100 calorie a day thing, excercise regularly and see where I end up.  Like I said before, I have a very large frame (52 inch chest) and I look the best between 240 and 250, believve that or not.  My doctor agrees that 245 would be a great weight for me, so that's my goal weight wise.  The next immediate goal is tobbacco, which is going to happen very soon after I'm into the regualr exercise routine full steam.

I am feeling much, much better and based on past experience I know I'll feel even better down the road!

Just thought I'd share

"The more I practice, the luckier I get" -Ben Hogan

Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!