IGNORED

My Swing (Unforgiven93)

Unforgiven93
Note: This thread is 2064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Unforgiven93 , I think you have the chops to mess around on the mini tours. Remember, you will have a lot of growth coming your way while competing on a prof tour. You cannot expect to be 100% tour ready right at entrance. Having said that I am sure there is a hierarchy of pro level tours you could climb up.

I have personally no idea what it takes to be on tour day in day out but my guess is you will know what you want to continue doing 7-8 tourneys in on an appropriate tour. Things change, new perspectives and doors show themselves only when you get there.

From a risk management stand point of view, giving up 6 months or a year to do this before what you might end up doing anyway (job, etc.) can't be that bad in grand scheme of things, in fact as @SavvySwede said, you will have memories of a lifetime. Don't really see a downside.

Now, I am assuming you have finances figured out to sustain you. Yes?

Good luck!

V

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Unforgiven93 , I think you have the chops to mess around on the mini tours. Remember, you will have a lot of growth coming your way while competing on a prof tour. You cannot expect to be 100% tour ready right at entrance. Having said that I am sure there is a hierarchy of pro level tours you could climb up. I have personally no idea what it takes to be on tour day in day out but my guess is you will know what you want to continue doing 7-8 tourneys in on an appropriate tour. Things change, new perspectives and doors show themselves only when you get there. From a risk management stand point of view, giving up 6 months or a year to do this before what you might end up doing anyway (job, etc.) can't be that bad in grand scheme of things, in fact as @SavvySwede said, you will have memories of a lifetime. Don't really see a downside. Now, I am assuming you have finances figured out to sustain you. Yes? Good luck! V

Yeah, I don't expect to be tour (mini tour) ready at all when I get there. But I think I can get there with hard work for a few months. I'm just mostly concerned with the fact that I'm a very consistent "good" player, and not one of the streaky good players who goes super low every now and then. That is what it takes to win tournaments in my opinion. But, if I can get to a place where my "very consistent 'good'" play is about 2 or 3 strokes better than currently, I'll be in a good spot in every tournament I play in. As far as finances go, I think my dad would be willing to give me a loan to make it the year. I talked to him about wanting to do this and he told me he definitely thinks I should, but we didn't talk about money.

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

Yeah, I don't expect to be tour (mini tour) ready at all when I get there. But I think I can get there with hard work for a few months. I'm just mostly concerned with the fact that I'm a very consistent "good" player, and not one of the streaky good players who goes super low every now and then. That is what it takes to win tournaments in my opinion. But, if I can get to a place where my "very consistent 'good'" play is about 2 or 3 strokes better than currently, I'll be in a good spot in every tournament I play in.

As far as finances go, I think my dad would be willing to give me a loan to make it the year. I talked to him about wanting to do this and he told me he definitely thinks I should, but we didn't talk about money.

Yeah, IMO all the more reason to go hang out with the big boys who do go low at least for a few months to a year. Either you will learn how to do it from them (I don't think it is lack of game) or figure out you just don't have it in you. You can't think this part through completely upfront, you just have to find out by jumping in. I am sure a life long career in manufacturing or design or business or whatever is waiting for you as your back up.

Be clear with your dad or whoever about your finances though. Ensure the loan. No hoping, estimating there. Money worries can distract the toughest of them out there. Hope I am not twisting your arm too much. :-)

Vishal S.

That's exactly how I feel. I know the guys even on mini tours are incredible and I may not succeed at all. But I'm going to graduate with a great degree from a great school with a good GPA, so I should be able to take a year off after college and still get a job.

I'm just not a risk taker (off the golf course that is :P) and this is a big risk.

From what you and others have said sounds like your golf game is good enough to at the very least give it a college try and more than likely succeed at it. So the real question is if its what you truly want.

I'm no where near your level in terms of golf, but as a fellow Hoosier who has been around the block about 15 more years than you have I doubt there is a single good reason that you shouldn't take the plunge. You have good grades, those don't go away, so unless a dream offer for your dream career comes your way before you do the mini tour thing than you should definitely take the opportunity. And my money is on your true dream career being that of a pro golfer, I know I'd much rather play golf for a living than some gig in business etc.

You'll never know if you had the chops to do it if you don't try, and now is the time to try before you get locked into a career. Like others have said the experience will be worthwhile in and of itself. Your GPA and degree will always be there, no employer will penalize you for taking a year, or even 3 to attempt a pro golf career, on the contrary it will likely open tons of doors for you that would have been closed for you otherwise, great jobs are found through connections, not Monster.com. I don't really see any risk in this at all. If its truly what you want in your gut, go for it!

Yeah, IMO all the more reason to go hang out with the big boys who do go low at least for a few months to a year. Either you will learn how to do it from them (I don't think it is lack of game) or figure out you just don't have it in you. You can't think this part through completely upfront, you just have to find out by jumping in. I am sure a life long career in manufacturing or design or business or whatever is waiting for you as your back up.

Be clear with your dad or whoever about your finances though. Ensure the loan. No hoping, estimating there. Money worries can distract the toughest of them out there. Hope I am not twisting your arm too much.

I have always played to my competition, so if I go play on a mini tour and get my butt kicked for the first few months, which I will, I think I would adjust and learn to play with them quickly.

I'm in the process of talking to my dad, and he has always been incredibly supportive about my golf game. Not to mention he's the one that taught me 99% of what I know about golf. You're not twisting my arm at all, just giving advice!

From what you and others have said sounds like your golf game is good enough to at the very least give it a college try and more than likely succeed at it. So the real question is if its what you truly want.

I'm no where near your level in terms of golf, but as a fellow Hoosier who has been around the block about 15 more years than you have I doubt there is a single good reason that you shouldn't take the plunge. You have good grades, those don't go away, so unless a dream offer for your dream career comes your way before you do the mini tour thing than you should definitely take the opportunity. And my money is on your true dream career being that of a pro golfer, I know I'd much rather play golf for a living than some gig in business etc.

You'll never know if you had the chops to do it if you don't try, and now is the time to try before you get locked into a career. Like others have said the experience will be worthwhile in and of itself. Your GPA and degree will always be there, no employer will penalize you for taking a year, or even 3 to attempt a pro golf career, on the contrary it will likely open tons of doors for you that would have been closed for you otherwise, great jobs are found through connections, not Monster.com. I don't really see any risk in this at all. If its truly what you want in your gut, go for it!

The company I'm interning at right now basically told me that they will hire me when I graduate... and it is a great company... It will be tough to turn an offer from them down, but I think I'm going to have to.

It is what I want in my gut.  Since I started playing when I was 14 I have dreamed of being a pro, or at least qualifying for some smaller pro tournaments... but I'm also a very rational and cautious person so I always told myself there was no way that would ever happen.  Well, now that I'm starting to put up some numbers in bigger amateur events, without a coach, without a solid practice plan, without playing more than 3 months out of the year, I'm starting to believe in myself more.

Also, boiler up! :beer:

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

So for one of the bigger tournaments I played in this summer, I kept track of what caused bad scores.  It is written poorly, but in general each comma separated item is a different day... I shot +9 over 4 days in this tournament.  It was played 7349 yards, 75.8/149, but I don't think it played anywhere near that course rating.

#1 Par 5 552 yards, played the hole  -1 - hooked drive x2, bad punch shot, bad chip
#2 Par 4 425 yards, played the hole +2 - missed 4 footer, hooked tee shot x2
#3 Par 3 207 yards, played the hole   E - missed green left and right, good up and downs
#4 Par 4 416 yards, played the hole   E - pulled tee shot x2
#5 Par 5 616 yards, played the hole  -2 - pulled tee shot x2, bad chip
#6 Par 4 390 yards, played the hole  -1 - 100 yard snap hook tee shot, over drawn wedge, wedge over green
#7 Par 4 458 yards, played the hole +2 - 3 putt, cut tee shot behind tree, punched out
#8 Par 3 195 yards, played the hole +2 - iron left plugged in bunker, hit over green into other bunker, different day missed tee shot right, cut too hard
#9 Par 4 469 yards, played the hole   +1 - pulled tee shot, wedge over green, wedge fat, short wedge
#10 Par 4 472 yards, played the hole   E -  pull hook tee shot, missed 4 footer
#11 Par 4 341 yards, played the hole +1 - tee shot sliced right (3 iron) + bad chip, left a 6 footer short, over drawn wedge
#12 Par 4 425 yards, played the hole   E - missed 6 footer short, missed 5 footer
#13 Par 3 191 yards, played the hole  -1 - bad club choice ended plugged in bunker short
#14 Par 5 522 yards, played the hole  -1 - bad chip that went long, left a tough greenside bunker shot in the bunker
#15 Par 3 210 yards, played the hole   E - bad putt from the first cut + missed 5 footer
#16 Par 4 465 yards, played the hole +4 - missed tee shot right x2, bad punch 6 iron over green, bad chip, bad wedge, missed 3 foot putt
#17 Par 4 419 yards, played the hole +1 - 3 putt
#18 Par 5 576 yards, played the hole +2 - pulled tee shot x4, accidentally drawn wedge x2, 3 putt

Trends that I saw: bad off the tee, mostly pulls or hooks... leading to several bad scores. Rough finishing on both the front and back 9, and lots of drawing short shots when I wasn't expecting it.. which is weird and has been a problem for me this year out of nowhere.

I made 1 eagle, 11 birdies, 39 pars, 20 bogeys, and 1 double.  If I could get my tee shots under control, I bet that would have shaved 10 shots off this score.

So for one of the bigger tournaments I played in this summer, I kept track of what caused bad scores.  It is written poorly, but in general each comma separated item is a different day... I shot +9 over 4 days in this tournament.  It was played 7349 yards, 75.8/149, but I don't think it played anywhere near that course rating.

#1 Par 5 552 yards, played the hole  -1 - hooked drive x2, bad punch shot, bad chip

#2 Par 4 425 yards, played the hole +2 - missed 4 footer, hooked tee shot x2

#3 Par 3 207 yards, played the hole   E - missed green left and right, good up and downs

#4 Par 4 416 yards, played the hole   E - pulled tee shot x2

#5 Par 5 616 yards, played the hole  -2 - pulled tee shot x2, bad chip

#6 Par 4 390 yards, played the hole  -1 - 100 yard snap hook tee shot, over drawn wedge, wedge over green

#7 Par 4 458 yards, played the hole +2 - 3 putt, cut tee shot behind tree, punched out

#8 Par 3 195 yards, played the hole +2 - iron left plugged in bunker, hit over green into other bunker, different day missed tee shot right, cut too hard

#9 Par 4 469 yards, played the hole   +1 - pulled tee shot, wedge over green, wedge fat, short wedge

#10 Par 4 472 yards, played the hole   E -  pull hook tee shot, missed 4 footer

#11 Par 4 341 yards, played the hole +1 - tee shot sliced right (3 iron) + bad chip, left a 6 footer short, over drawn wedge

#12 Par 4 425 yards, played the hole   E - missed 6 footer short, missed 5 footer

#13 Par 3 191 yards, played the hole  -1 - bad club choice ended plugged in bunker short

#14 Par 5 522 yards, played the hole  -1 - bad chip that went long, left a tough greenside bunker shot in the bunker

#15 Par 3 210 yards, played the hole   E - bad putt from the first cut + missed 5 footer

#16 Par 4 465 yards, played the hole +4 - missed tee shot right x2, bad punch 6 iron over green, bad chip, bad wedge, missed 3 foot putt

#17 Par 4 419 yards, played the hole +1 - 3 putt

#18 Par 5 576 yards, played the hole +2 - pulled tee shot x4, accidentally drawn wedge x2, 3 putt

Trends that I saw: bad off the tee, mostly pulls or hooks... leading to several bad scores. Rough finishing on both the front and back 9, and lots of drawing short shots when I wasn't expecting it.. which is weird and has been a problem for me this year out of nowhere.

I made 1 eagle, 11 birdies, 39 pars, 20 bogeys, and 1 double.  If I could get my tee shots under control, I bet that would have shaved 10 shots off this score.

Don't know what is causing your hooks or pulls, but for me that when right shoulder doesn't rotate through impact with the arms (I think).

Vishal S.

• 3 years later...

Wow, this thread is a graveyard of dreams for me. Makes me a little sad reading through it. I started this thread in the summer of 2011, as a junior in high school, right when I started taking golf semi seriously.  I didn't get to play college golf like I wanted, despite being about +1 handicap by the time I started college.  Didn't play much in college, but I was able to get to +2.2 at my low via practicing in summers.  Then posts of me wanting to attempt a year of mini tours after graduating college since I hit +2.2 so quickly with so little work and no instructor...

I graduated with my engineering degree May of 2017, I chickened out and didn't try mini tours directly on graduation, but I had a plan:  work for a year or so like an adult, lose weight (success! 40 pounds down), all while practicing hard and getting instruction from a top level coach for the first time in my life. See where I got, then make a decision.  The answer was right back to +2, but making swing changes is hard so I was satisfied with that. I told my coach I wanted to try playing professionally for a couple years (he is a swing coach for a couple PGA players) and he was encouraging.

Time to build a new plan. While still working full time, I played in a few one day mini tour events... didn't play well at all, best round was even par and I lost by 6 shots in that one. I fell into a massive slump and played the worst I had in years, probably because I was putting so much pressure on myself to play better.  My instructor told me that if I can't handle a slump like that, then golf isn't the right game for me, and he still thinks I should give it a shot (heh).

I met another mini tour player through my instructor, he offered to let me stay with him and practice/compete against him daily out by TPC Scottsdale if I wanted to try playing professionally for a few years.  I have a fitness plan, a stretching plan, a place to stay, a mentor and someone to compete against and practice with every day, and a very good swing coach.  My next goal is to understand how to best spend practice time so I can build an effective game improvement plan. I plan on leaving my engineering job and moving to Scottsdale in January to spend 3+ years playing on mini tours and Monday qualifiers. Realistically it will take +6 or so to have any success, so I am still a long way away, but with dedicated, smart practice and everything I listed above, I want to see what will happen. 

ANYWAY..... This is a swing thread, not a life story thread.  So here is what my swing is looking like as of two days ago: 

It isn't that much different.  

Note: This thread is 2064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!