IGNORED

i need to replace my callaway warbird 3 wood. and i need everyone at "the trap" for ideas.

Note: This thread is 4663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you are looking for a longer 3 wood than I'd have to agree with those saying TE Exotics... it is the one that constantly comes up when people are looking for a bit more distance with a fairway wood...  From what I've heard, you may also want to consider one of the new Adams F11 fairways... I've heard that they are pretty long too, especially the Ti model.

I just replaced my own 3 wood with a Willson Staff FYbrid 3 wood and I love the thing... I don't really hit it out of tight lies though, just mainly off the tee.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

If you are looking for a longer 3 wood than I'd have to agree with those saying TE Exotics... it is the one that constantly comes up when people are looking for a bit more distance with a fairway wood...  From what I've heard, you may also want to consider one of the new Adams F11 fairways... I've heard that they are pretty long too, especially the Ti model.

I just replaced my own 3 wood with a Willson Staff FYbrid 3 wood and I love the thing... I don't really hit it out of tight lies though, just mainly off the tee.

this post hit me pretty deep haha I'm an AVID wilson staff fan and ive only been playing for about a year. I just recently bought my first set of irons built for my height/lie/and specific shaft (ns pro 950gh) i ended up buying the FG tour irons 3-p. realize that all the talk about 3 irons being useless is 100% true so 4-pw has made the game incredibly enjoyable.

But i was looking at getting the standard 19.5 version as a replacement for my warbird 5 wood but the clubtest on golf.com mentioned both fairway wood and hybrid didn't stand out in any category. Forgiving, yet only feels solid at contact. I wish i would've pulled the trigger on a 13 3wood and a 19.5...not a tight lie club though?

Originally Posted by handlez42

this post hit me pretty deep haha I'm an AVID wilson staff fan and ive only been playing for about a year. I just recently bought my first set of irons built for my height/lie/and specific shaft (ns pro 950gh) i ended up buying the FG tour irons 3-p. realize that all the talk about 3 irons being useless is 100% true so 4-pw has made the game incredibly enjoyable.

But i was looking at getting the standard 19.5 version as a replacement for my warbird 5 wood but the clubtest on golf.com mentioned both fairway wood and hybrid didn't stand out in any category. Forgiving, yet only feels solid at contact. I wish i would've pulled the trigger on a 13 3wood and a 19.5...not a tight lie club though?

He said "out of tight lies" Perhaps he meant "out of the rough" since hitting a 3-wood "off of" tight lies is best done with the one you're replacing - the warbird soleplate (assuming we're not talking about hardpan).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

He said "out of tight lies" Perhaps he meant "out of the rough" since hitting a 3-wood "off of" tight lies is best done with the one you're replacing - the warbird soleplate (assuming we're not talking about hardpan).

i heard the fybrid heavy sole was exceptional out of the rough lies because of the dual rails...unless he isnt referring to the HS version?

warbird is decent out of rough and not bad off the tight lies...just not long enough

If it's as solid as it looks, then you've done well!

pics

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If it's as solid as it looks, then you've done well!

its a beautiful club but soo far very hard for me to control...its gonna take a bit of time to get used to. EXPLOSIVE off the face though i just push it hard right. well, slice it really.

The shallower face of the TEE (which results in - or maybe is the result of - a lower center of gravity for the club) should help you get the ball up better and, hopefully, that'll lead to more carry and better distance than that old Warbird.  Good luck!

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

i heard the fybrid heavy sole was exceptional out of the rough lies because of the dual rails...unless he isnt referring to the HS version?

warbird is decent out of rough and not bad off the tight lies...just not long enough

I suppose I should clarify.  With the 3 wood, I mainly just hit it off the tee... I use it a lot on short par 4s.  I don't hit it off of the fairway very often, and yes it is good out of the rough (it is the HS version) but I don't use it from there much either... usually if I'm in rough and I need that kind of distance still it's smarter for me to break the shot into two.  I do have the FYbrid hybrids (3 & 4) also, and I do use those off the fairway and out of rough quite a bit and I really do love those as well.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

its a beautiful club but soo far very hard for me to control...its gonna take a bit of time to get used to. EXPLOSIVE off the face though i just push it hard right. well, slice it really.

Exotics gets great reviews off the tee, but it's not the best from the deck.  I had the original Exotics and could not get comfortable-- did not like the balance of the club.  It's been mentioned but I'll add the G15 and R9 as easy to hit shallow woods.  I use my woods from mostly the fairway and rough, and those two performed nicely.  If you're looking for a bargain wood, go with the original Hibore.  The sole cuts thru tall grass and the club is forgiving without the gigantic size.   And as with all clubs, find the right shaft.

Originally Posted by minty7890

Exotics gets great reviews off the tee, but it's not the best from the deck.  I had the original Exotics and could not get comfortable-- did not like the balance of the club.  It's been mentioned but I'll add the G15 and R9 as easy to hit shallow woods.  I use my woods from mostly the fairway and rough, and those two performed nicely.  If you're looking for a bargain wood, go with the original Hibore.  The sole cuts thru tall grass and the club is forgiving without the gigantic size.   And as with all clubs, find the right shaft.

i'll have to a agree this CB2 15deg is one of the best woods off the tee in the game of golf. and i'm sure the ones in front of it are newer exotics models.

had a tough short par 4 that had a fairway angling to the left and a landing zone of about 180 out. TALLL trees on the left. grabbed my r9 460 and instantly thought to myself, "i dont think i can get this one up high enough" and went back and reluctantly grabbed the CB2. cleared the hugeeee trees and still went about 250 leaving a 60deg wedge 1hop. next time i tee'd it off was on a par five into a blind downhill right bend. i struggled keeping this thing straight before this particular round so i swung it almost carelessly in order to bend it around the trees in the direction the fairway was moving, almost like a rocket, low tour-like trajectory. felt like tiger with his low cut/stinger he used to shoot. in my mind i feel as if i purposefully did it haha but anybody can dream right?

BUT off the tight lies this club is tough. leading edge isn't really designed to get low and close to the ball. also, the sole is incredibly smooth and rounded. unlike the clubs with glide rails or "V" soles.

Most of this i believe is due to the swing weight being much heavier, i could be almost pulling up or holding up to not bottom out early.

all in all i think i can figure this thing out, and crush it. but until i get more range sessions under its belt, i'll be sticking to my nike procombo hybrid/driving iron shenanigans. keep it in the short grass longer.

Note: This thread is 4663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!