IGNORED

Singles...ever ditched the group you were paired up with?

maelkoth
Note: This thread is 4688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by johnny2balls

why be polite (which I really would but...)  they are not being polite to an entire golf course waiting behind them. They are being the opposite of polite.  Slow players need to realize that being slow is being rude to the people behind you and saying to them their time is not as important as yours. 18 should never take more that 4 hours.  OK, I'll give you 4 hours and 20 minutes but that's it.  Just played last Friday at Scioto in Columbus OH.  Several groups were ahead of us, we had 4 players 2 of which were 20+ caps and we finished in a smooth 3 hours and 30 minutes. No rushing whatsoever. Just a normal nice pace of play.  Played again Yesterday at a different course in a  different state. 4th of July, 4 players, 3 hours and 50 minutes. It does not take 4:20 to play 18 holes of golf.  If it does either you or someone in your group is slow. (unless you are waiting on the goups in front of you all day)

It's funny, the golf digest article that was just published about slow play says that about 90% of players do not think they are slow.  The time it takes to 18 holes many days would suggest otherwise.  What it tells me is that slow people do not think they are slow.  And if they are never told they are slow things will never change.  I have always given a HUGE kudos to Sergio.  Unlike Ben Crane, Jim Furyk and John Holmes, he was told  he was slow and worked hard to change his ways. Those 3 could care less and they are killing the game, viewers and t.v. producers.

I did not realize "John Holmes" was a golfer. Seems like he did swing a club though!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Originally Posted by maelkoth

I was a single paired up with a 3some...Normally I like to play with other people so it was rather unfortunate that I had to do that.  So on the next hole, I told them that I'm going to split up.  They agreed and off I went to the next tee.

I've played ahead several times in your situation.  It just depends on the situation.......if you are fighting darkness and there are open holes ahead.  YOU SHOULD DITCH!!!!!!!!!  Why wouldn't you?

my 2 cents....

It's easy to be polite.......they won't be offended.  If they are.....who cares?  Hell....if there are enough open holes ahead, you might get 27 holes before dark!!   Don't sweat it........if there are open holes, there is no reason to be bogged down by a group.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Yeah I do it all the time. Lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Originally Posted by awmgolfer

Usually courses charge you for 1/2 a rental. Our course it is $8 for 9 holes or $16 for 18 holes and that is for half the cart. You basically pay for your seat is another way to think of it.

I've been reading several posts, but I haven't seen 1/2 talk in decades.  You either walk or you ride and pay for a cart.  Whether it's shared or not doesn't matter....you pay a standard cart fee. No such thing as a 1/2 cart fee anymore...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Because people cannot talk about golf being a gentleman's game and then be rude to others, that's why.

Well my mother certainly does not agree that it's a gentleman's game. Hell, with her I can't even call them the ladies tee's.  They are the red tee's.  and she's right. Tee's are just a color not a gender. There is no gender to the game.  It's a game for all not a gentleman's game. That's old school male chauvinist crap going back to when they would not let a certain breed of chap from the lower ranks grace the course with their peasant filth.  That stuff used to go and still does at some courses. Of course you follow rules and be proper but that golf, nothing to do with being a male.  The language I hear day in and day out and cheating I observe certainly does not say it's a gentlemans game.  Go to most any public course in America with tank tops and jean shorts and tell me what's gentleman about any of that. But I don't care about any of that.  It's all fine with me. flip flops and no shirt is fine with me. Just like Bob-O-Link, the course I grew up caddying at in Chicago. They play with their shirts off.  Is that gentlemanly? I've seen marshalls ask people to leave a course due to slow play is that gentleman like?  What's not fine with me is slow play.

Talk about being rude.  Slow play is the biggest rudeness found on a golfcourse.  There is nothing more rude, self-serving and impropper than nonsense slow play. And if someone does not believe that then they need a reality check.   It's even a rule of golf.  If 90 something percent of golfers believe thay are not slow than that means that 50% of slow golfers have never been told they are slow.  They will go the rest of their lives playing slow and slowly killing the game.  The USGA, PGA, R&A;, GCSAA all agree with me.  or I should say I agree with them.  Sergio played most of his life as a slow player. I'm sure people were just afraid to say something to him.  Finally, he gets to the PGA tour and realizes he must changs his ways. And he did.  Slow play is the single worst thing for golf and to do nothing about it except be polite and gentleman like solves nothing.  Of course "being rude" is all persepective.  What many be considered rude in Alabama may be considered a compliment in New York.  When I say rude, I don't mean belittle a person or be out of line.  What I am saying is that slow players need to be told they are slow.  Moving on and not saying anything does nobody in the game of golf any good.  I have told players before that there are certain things they can do to speed up their play and I bet it will even lower their scores. It's not fun but if it's someone you play with regularly and you approach it the right way it's makes life much easier. Indecision is a game killer.   You are 150 yards out in the middle of the fairway.  It's a 7 iron.  If it's carts on path bring a 6,7 and 8 and be done with it.  Don't walk out there empty handed, think about it for 3 minutes and then walk back to the cart to get a club.  Sound crazy---I see it all too often.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I've been reading several posts, but I haven't seen 1/2 talk in decades.  You either walk or you ride and pay for a cart.  Whether it's shared or not doesn't matter....you pay a standard cart fee. No such thing as a 1/2 cart fee anymore...........

Must be a regional thing. All courses in my area feature 1/2 cart fees, but this is based only on what single riders tell me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Must be a regional thing. All courses in my area feature 1/2 cart fees, but this is based only on what single riders tell me.

I can't speak for the private courses in my area, but all the semi-private and muni courses charge 1/2 cart fees.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

Note: This thread is 4688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!