IGNORED

Would a new shaft for my driver help fix this?

Note: This thread is 4672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have the same problem. Mine aren't necessarily fades though.. I hit the ball straight but the darn thing is too high even with a 9.5 head. I probably carry it 265-275 on a good drive but get no roll out so I'm thinking of trying out a Diamana Whiteboard 73 or 83x. I really need to hit a launch monitor though and see what they say. Let us know how that shaft works for you!

I too am a 17 handicap and have a similar problem, I started on the same path as you, I changed shafts, I changed clubs, I have had lessons and they are the only thing that made any discernable difference.  Whilst I had a lot to work on in my swing, the single biggest difference in my ball flight came from:

1.  Teeing the ball significantly higher

2.  Teeing the ball a long way further forward

BTW...the height of the ball and the position are what almost anyone would call normal, I just never realised I had it so low and so far back :(

The real issue was my angle of attack, working with the pro and changes in my setup have made a very big difference.  Has also helped me become a bit longer, maybe 15 yds or more.

For me and I stress for ME, the shafts and clubheads (Callaway Hyper X, Titleist 909D2, Cleveland Launcher, Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track and Cobra S3....all in 2 years and with a multitude of shafts), did nothing except cost me money, the real change was the lessons, but specifically ball position and tee height.

Keep your driver and go and see your local PGA member...its a good investment.

Dave

• Upvote 2

Well, I picked up my driver from Golf Galaxy today with the Graffaloy Prolaunch Red shaft installed.  I had them cut it to match my current shaft length (45") and had a Golf Pride multi-compound grip installed.  All total between the shaft purchase, grip, and install I spent about $55.  I hit a few balls on their simulator before I left and was pleased with the results.  Launch angle was 15.5 to 16 degrees and the backspin was between 3200-3600.  I know that these numbers are still on the high side but they are a whole lot better than the 4600-4800 spin numbers I was getting before.

I took the club straight to the range and hit a few balls.  I was very pleased with the trajectory and could tell a definate difference in the ball flight.  The good shots were similar to what I could hit before and I was still getting plenty of distance.  The big difference was on the less than perfect shots, I didn't hit any ballooning high floaters which have been killing me on the course.  I still hit a few high fades, but they didn't float near as far offline as they typically do.  I did miss-hit a few lower line drives, these hits are not going to have great distance but it is a much preferable miss in that it would still be in the fairway or at least findable.  Overall I am cautiously optimistic.  I don't think this is going to be a cure all however I am pretty confident that this shaft is a much closer fit for my swing than what I was playing before.  I hope to hit the course later this week and will report back with results.

On a side note as part of my research in picking this shaft out I was able to find a spreadsheet put out by Nike with recommended shaft replacements for their off the shelf drivers going back to my model year.  They were recommending a Graffaloy Prolaunch Blue (high launch model) as the shaft that was closest to the stock model.

I would suggest seeing a PGA professional and letting them see how you hit the ball and then determine whether it is worthwhile to change the shaft. Like one previous poster suggested it may be your angle of attack and if that is the case you are better off spending the money on lessons

First of all, i think it's good to look at your shaft before anything els,

its the shaft that makes the club work.

reading your info, i think you will benefit an X stiff shaft, but on the other hand,
if the shaft is to firm you will lose the balls even more to the right. you should

be looking at a high or mid kickpoint on your shaft. and a heavier shaft might do

the trick also.

For what i read you are not get fit properly, your spin rate is to high, other shafts should

get that lower.

As for me, i used to have a verry high ball flight myself, ( had a cobra S91 F 10.5 deg. with pro launch blue stiff shaft)

I went to a new club because my loft was to high, i bought this club during a period of not

playing as often, my swingspeed at that moment was about 90 m/ph so at that time it worked,

now with me playing 2-3 times a week me tempo went up to little over 100 m/ph so i did need to change shaft also

I now have the Taylormade R11 driver with aldila rip stiff shaft, what is nice about this club is that you can ajust the setting.

Like face angle and loft. This could benefit you also, maybe you could go to the local golfshop and have a go with it.

maybe this club can get you out of your fade also. This club comes in a 9 degree loft, but you can lower that 1,5 degree.

as for me i was hitting hard draws and i changed the face angle to an open setting i now hit soft draw  with carry about 250 and

i get 20 yrd roll, my ballflight looks so much better now.

So in my opinion shaft is the key but a new clubface could benefit more.

Good luck

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 4672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!