IGNORED

Which irons do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to irons? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

Don't be mislead by the mislead..... The MP60's and MP32's are for players of all index's. It's a mater of whether or not you're comfortable hitting them and if you intend to grow in your game.

I agree that you must be comfortable with your irons. One of the main problems I had with my Callaways was the offset look at address. When I addressed the ball, it looked like I was going to hook the ball because of the offset, and I ususally did.

Jody B.

Cobra Speed Pro S 9.5 X-Stiff
Cleveland Hibore XLS 3WTaylor Made Super Steel 5W (Steel Shaft)Cleveland Hibore XLS 3 Hybrid (Steel Shaft)Titleist AP1 5-GapCleveland CG14 56Cleveland CG14 60Odyssey 3Ball 33" Putter

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same with me and the Mizuno MX23's. Great clubs, but you get to a certain level, or expectation and they just don't fit anymore.

It's not that I'm that darn good or anything at a 12-handi, it's just I know I won't get better if I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

"This isn't a game of perfection... it's a game of misses and who's misses hurt less"..

I forget who I'm quoting, but it's pretty darn true.
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

• 4 weeks later...
i use sword katana

"Katana" is Japanese for SWORD isn't it?
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

I will have to change my vote by weeks end. The Top Flites are going into retirement. My new Titleist 775's are due in any day. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I think I just heard Santa's sleigh...guess not. I just hope they come before the first night of my league. I would like to get them in play once before it actually counts.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I really like my Nike CCI cast clubs. They have a very small offset, and they feel great. For those looking for a little forgiveness without a lot of offset may want to give these a go.
Jody B.

Cobra Speed Pro S 9.5 X-Stiff
Cleveland Hibore XLS 3WTaylor Made Super Steel 5W (Steel Shaft)Cleveland Hibore XLS 3 Hybrid (Steel Shaft)Titleist AP1 5-GapCleveland CG14 56Cleveland CG14 60Odyssey 3Ball 33" Putter

I currently play with 10 yr old Mizuno T-zoid graphite regular, however currently trialling a number of clubs as follows:

Callaway X-20, X-20 Tour & Fusion

TaylorMade r7

I did a 6-iron demo test on all 4 today - the results:

X-20 is a solid club, works pretty well and is reasonably long
X-20 Tour again solid, long, less forgiving (it is a tour club after all)
Fusion was a good, easy to hit club, bit tended to go a bit high for me (lost distance on ocassion)
r7 was the stand out for me. It was very solid, longer than the rest due to the slightly stronger lofts, but held its line well. It seems to me to be between a game-improvement and a tour iron, compared to x-20 & Fusion. This appeals to me, as I do not yet feel ready for a tour iron, yet feel that a game improvement iron won't force to me to work more on my fundamentals (ie. it hides the flaws).

Also, on a value for money basis, there is no contest - r7 wins that race.

Interested to hear any other r7 feedback as up to now I was going to get X-20, but am now swinging into the r7 camp in a big way.

The new Mizuno MP-67's feel like butter to me. You would swear they are cavity backs. The ball flight seems a little higher than my old MP-37's but I'm gonna re-shaft them and see if that helps.

EZ, FYI - the lowest ball flight shaft out there is the TTDG. The only shaft comparable in Rifle is the Project X. Also, the 'flighted series' is designed to

increase your ball flight in the more difficult to hit irons... I did change from TTDG to Project X Flighted's and love them but the ball flight is higher in the 3 and 4 irons.

Currently have the Callaway X-14's but about to get fitted for the Ping I5's and pick them up shortly after.

I must say the X-14's are a great set of irons and have served me well. no real complaints. - just me wanting to update my set.

I5's I found the best for me to hit and I found to be a nice blend between forgiveness and workability. I compared them to clubs such as the cleveland CG2's, CG4 tour's, nike combos, and the X-20's and for me the pings seemed to fit the bill
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Just got back into the game after an almost 15 year forced layoff. Decided it was time to retire my 1994 Tiger Shark PRL's and go for a more modern set.

After two solid days under a PCS Class-A fitter's microscope, I emerged with:

6-SW Tom Wishon CFE770 heads on Matrix "Studio 74" shafts and Winn DSI grips.

And a Wishon 321-LI w/ MFS-85 shaft Hybrid, same grip.

I've only had 'em five days now, and they've already made me a better golfer, 3 inches taller and filled in my bald spots. If only I'd met them before my wife....

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

i use the Cleveland Launcher LP they're a little thick across the top but if you hit them solid you know it

i'm looking at Cleveland cg2 they're between blades and cavity backs http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US203%26sa%3DG

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I have just ordered a set of King Cobra S9's. I was deciding between that or Titleist clubs. The pro at my club recommend the S9 cos he thinks its more suited to my game and ill struggle with the Titleist. From what i hit on the range the s9 was awesome. But i think i would have grown into the Titleist.

Ahh well, ill have my new set in 10 days :)

looking for Titleist DCI 962's if anyone has them

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Note: This thread is 5592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!