IGNORED

My swing vid

mnel
Note: This thread is 6273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so here goes, driving range, 7 iron, see for yourself. Wayyyyy too much movement in my opinion. Advice welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXNS5PzTXo

And then, just to finish with a happy thought, as opposed to ruining your day with MY video, here is my golfing partner with a driver. Sometimes I hate this guy purely for his swing . And his scratch handicap of course, but mostly his swing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pORtxUtI4-I

In the bag
Driver: MP001 10* Aldila NV
Hybrid: Tour Edge JMax Bazooka 27*
Irons: x12
Putter: Tour Edge BackdraftBall: MoJo

mnel

From this angle, which isn't always the best for plane-analysis and legwork, here are my two cents worth:

It seems you are straightening your right leg on the takeaway. For a young guy like you, that's really not necessary. It raises your entire torso and can lead to a reverse pivot.

You have a good position at the top of the swing (again, from this camera viewpoint we can't see exactly how the plane is).

Your impact body position is flatfooted with both feet, indicating you have not transferred enough to your left leg - major power loss here and I bet your bad shot goes left.

Your follow-through is really athletic and your right knee even goes PAST your left knee, something we don't see too often...... BUT, you're faking it mnel!!! If you could work on achieving this end-position by also striking the ball with your weight almost fully transferred to your left leg, then this would be a great strike.

I think you're pretty brave to post your swing anyhow!!

Best to you & good luck

M

Michael Stiebel

In ze bag:

Titleist 983 KTitleist 3WPing 5WCobra 23deg hybridPing Irons 5-PW Eidolon 52,56 & 60deg wedgesPing G2 long putter(wishing for: Titleist 755 irons!!)Left-hander!!!!!

and.....your buddy....his swing is just magnificent. Ask him, if he is such a good buddy, why he doesn't share his weight-shift to the right leg, his long arm extension on the backswing, and his powerful move toward the target with his best friend??? he just wants your money pal!!!

;)

Michael Stiebel

In ze bag:

Titleist 983 KTitleist 3WPing 5WCobra 23deg hybridPing Irons 5-PW Eidolon 52,56 & 60deg wedgesPing G2 long putter(wishing for: Titleist 755 irons!!)Left-hander!!!!!

First off, thanks for the advice! Ya know, I had two video ports open on my PC, one with my swing, the other with his. I can tell that there are differences in the swing, but I can't pinpoint them, I am simply not technical enough. I realise that my weight shift is a HUGE problem at the moment (this week ) but I never saw the flatfoot impact position. It's as if I'm unbalanced after I made contact. What you are saying makes sense.

As for the right knee going past the left knee, I didn't see that as a "positive" in my swing, I am trying to get rid of that (aaaaargh!) I think it's a result of too much movement in the shoulders through to the finish. **grinding of teeth**

Ditto on the straight right leg... **more grinding**

As for my golfing partner's swing, yup... does look good... Have to admit, he never gives advice unless I ask for it. Never. NEVER! Now THAT takes some doing wth a swing like mine (hehe). Golf etiquette anyone?

Besides, he's married to my sister. If he beats me at a round, I have her beat him UP. So I always win

In the bag

One other quirk to think about (can't tell if its a cause or an effect from just this angle though) - is that it looks like your left knee is moving straight out and your left heel picking up off the ground when the club is only halfway back. This is part of the reverse pivot mentioned above - but it may be something you can mentally key on avoiding to get your weight shifting more to the right side.

Bret Schlyer
===========
Driver: 2009 Burner TP
3 wood: Ti Bubble
5 wood: Macgregor MacTec NGV

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC  3

Irons: Hireko XF Pro

SW/LW: Cleveland 588

Putter: Ping Anser

mnel

Don't get flustered. You have great balance at the end of your swing and any kind of individuality at the END of a swing is always welcome, as long as things have happened correctly on the way there.

What you should try to do:

1. Know that your swing has all the right pieces, just that they are not sequencing properly. This is a positive.
2. Start your backswing by "bumping" your hips toward the target, and then back.
3. (The secret) Imagine your backswing as one long loose, rubbery thing, the only "stable" parts being your flexed right knee and your raised butt. Now, complete the backswing in total slowmotion
4. Try it. You will see that you are suddenly able to get forward easily to your left leg. That you stay in good balance.
5. Most important, you will see that you haven't lost any distance.
6. Send me lots of money.

Good luck.

P.S. Try this especially with your wedges from short range as well.

Michael Stiebel

In ze bag:

Schlyer, thanks for noticing another thing I did not. I went through the rest of the recording, and you are right. As you said, another quirk to think about

Sharkgolf, something you said about my golf buddy's swing struck a chord, it was the long arm extension on the backswing. I had another look at my recording, and it seems I'm trapping my right elbow on my backswing badly! Popped in at the driving range quickly last night, hit 50 balls just concentrating on that, and I definitely feel more comfortable with my *new* elbow positioning. Improved distance too.

So this weekend I'm gonna try some of your tips. What you are saying makes sense. Might be a while before I get it right though

Uhhhhhhhhhhh... that bit about sending you money... you'll have to settle for a christmas card...

In the bag

I see just a little bit of casting. Anyone else catch that?

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

Note: This thread is 6273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!