IGNORED

Should I change grips?

Note: This thread is 4639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I recently got new clubs ( Nike Slingshot ), and I can't get a good grip when sweat is involved. It's hot here, 95 on a good day, and very high humidity. Every time I play, I end up being unable to grip the club due to how slick these get when they get a little wet. This also makes playing in the rain almost impossible. Is this normal for standard grips? I've only had them two months, and it is seriously affecting my game. Should I upgrade the grips? I just ask because I don't know if there are any out there that do better or worse when wet, but I have GolfPride on my driver, and I don't have this issue hardly at all (unless it's really raining). Are there any grips that stay grippy in the rain or under sweaty hands? Input is appreciated!

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

if you can't hold onto your clubs then you definitely need to regrip them.  i would suggest the multicompound grips that are 1/2 corded.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

Originally Posted by ezmorningrebel

if you can't hold onto your clubs then you definitely need to regrip them.  i would suggest the multicompound grips that are 1/2 corded.

Well I've got that one on my driver, and I don't have the issues on the corded part of it, but still just a tad on the rubber, so I was thinking of the GolfPride tour velvet cord (or something to that effect), since I get the corded part all the way down. Afterall, my gloved hand doesn't have this issue, so I'm thinking that'll work.

Has anyone tried regripping clubs with an air compressor? I've seen a couple videos using it to slip the grip on and off the shaft, and I like it. lol

1) If you're having sweat issues definitely go full cord.

2) I use a compressor to change my grips now.  It's pretty damn easy, if you ask me.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

Originally Posted by colnago1331

1) If you're having sweat issues definitely go full cord.

2) I use a compressor to change my grips now.  It's pretty damn easy, if you ask me.

1) That's what I'm thinkin

2) Do you still use the double sided tape? I imagine you do.

Originally Posted by Inebriated

Well I've got that one on my driver, and I don't have the issues on the corded part of it, but still just a tad on the rubber, so I was thinking of the GolfPride tour velvet cord (or something to that effect), since I get the corded part all the way down. Afterall, my gloved hand doesn't have this issue, so I'm thinking that'll work.

Has anyone tried regripping clubs with an air compressor? I've seen a couple videos using it to slip the grip on and off the shaft, and I like it. lol

I go the air compressor route as well, however I use PURE grips which require no tape or solvent... you just slip the grip on right over the shaft... if you want to build it up a bit you can use masking tape (not double sided).  From what I've heard, PURE grips are pretty good in wet situations although I don't really ever play in rain so it's just what I've heard.  However, I do play in a lot of heat (it was 114 when I got off of 18 yesterday) and I never had a problem with the PURE grips when I was using them (the clubs that they were on got stolen).  My new clubs have the GP New Decade on them and I didn't have any issues with those either.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For years, pros in the Midwest have recommended cordline grips for golfers who play a lot. Benefits for sweat, and wet weather.

Be aware that cords will tend to wear out your golf gloves more quickly. So, make sure you have sufficient gloves.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Inebriated

1) That's what I'm thinkin

2) Do you still use the double sided tape? I imagine you do.

I use about 1/2" - 1" of the tape at the top of my iron shafts mainly so they don't accidentally cut through the grip when I'm trying to put it on.  Other than that - no tape (I have small hands so I don't need the build-up underneath).

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

Hey guys, I ended up putting some midsize GP Multicompound grips on my 3H and 6I (most used), and the larger size mixed with better grip seriously improved my control of the club, and the grips worked great in the rain yesterday. I'm going to slowly start replacing my other clubs with these grips.

Note: This thread is 4639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!