IGNORED

How cool is this for father & son

ronbo25
Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very well spoken...or I suppose I should say typed...lol.

Originally Posted by visiondr

My 7-year-old son started playing this summer after seeing me begin again this spring. He's taken to it like a duck to water. I've had him in two week-long golf camps at a local course where they do a lot of instruction. We have a 9-hole par 3 "Children's Course" here in Portland where we've played together before. It's a blast playing with him. Though, he is a bit loud when he sinks a putt! ;-)

I have some selfish motivation in wanting to get my son into golf. The experiences many of you have had with your children on the course are just what I hope for (though I will be very conscious not to force golf on him). I recall being a bit of a surly teenager and had little to say to my dad in my early-middle teen years. I can't think of a better way for father and son to bond than to share a passion like golf.   A side bonus of playing with your son/daughter has to be spending 4+ hours together; it might force even the most reticent teen and reluctant parent to open up a bit with each other. It's a complicated time in life and we all need a little guidance. What better place to do that than in the relative solitude and privacy of a father-son golf outing.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Congrats!  That's great to be able to share a all time low score and a Ace!

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

Originally Posted by ronbo25

I didn't bother to post the score, as I was concerned my handicap would drop like a rock..... Just kidding.

My last 3 rounds posted have been 73,68,72.  Handicap gone from mid 4's to trending 2.7.  Never thought i would get that low. I must give credit where credit is due.  I have been working with instructor at Golftec for 9 months.  He has taken me from about 8 to under 3.  Crazy stuff!

Hey ronbo, Congrats to both you and your son!!  Sounds like you both had a memorable day together, and here's a toast to many more!

BTW... good to hear you have had good results with Golftec, as I recently completed the free 30 minute swing evaluation, and am considering purchasing additional services from our location in North Olmsted.  When you get a chance, could you share what types of improvements Golftec was able to help you with?

My kids are 7(daughter), and 5 ( son). They both have clubs and hit around in the back yard, don't yet know if they will take to it. But I hope they do, I can honestly say that one of the main reasons I took golf up was to have a sport I could play with my kids as I age, I'm 49 and I hope I can still play a good game of one on one with my son when he is a teenager, but my bet is golf will be a better option. Time will tell.

I am also playing most of my rounds with my father, though we sometimes play in a different group, but we always come and go together.

Similar to your story, but on the contrary --- I have aced the shot twice since I've been playing and one of those aces was made when I played with my dad.  I was quite young then, but now as I am 28 years old, I am always wishing that my dad would made an ace when we step on the par-3s.  He came to many close calls, but hasn't quite did it yet.  I only wish to see him ace the shot one day.

Because of our culture, my father and I have never played competitively against each other.  Instead, we always help each other during some struggling rounds, since we knew each others' games so well over the years.

Some rounds are fun and memorable, but I wouldn't trade any rounds with my father for any of them.

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!